If You Use Photobucket To Post Pics, It's Soon Going To Cost $399.00

I don't use Photobucket, but who do they think is going to pay $399 a year for the ability to post photos to forums?? If it's a money making ploy - bad move. If it's done purposely to eliminate the bandwidth use caused by third party posting, then "bravo" - I'm sure usage will drop like a lead weight over the side of a bridge.

That site has been taken over by annoying ads and pop ups. What was once a decent site is now practically unusable. I need to find a better and more user friendly hosting site.

As I see it, you will still be able to use Photobucket for hosting pictures, and for sending slideshows and picture "Stories" to friends.

For posting pictures on forums, I now use Postimage. It seems to work
very well.

Just deleted my account. Had ben using it for a couple of odd forums and other sites. Done.

I have two accounts on Photobucket, and I will be leaving them there, for
now anyway. As I read it, the $400 only comes in if you want to be able to
link pictures to forums or bulletin boards.
It isn't costing anything to host pictures. As I mentioned, it is thought that
other picture hosting sites may well go down the same route.

I'm finding "PostImages" works well for uploading pictures, and is more
flexible than uploading from Photobucket.

Please forgive my ignorance - but can someone explain to me the advantages of using a third party like Photobucket or Flickr or whatever to host photos that are getting posted to forums?

I'm acutely aware that I'm not the most tech savvy anymore as I age, but I've always just posted photos either directly from my phone's album using tapatalk or straight from my computer/laptop. Works great, and I can guarantee I'll never charge myself for the service - what am I missing? :?:

If you post a link to one of your photos from Photobucket, onto a forum, it doesn't use up that forum's web space.

If you post a link to one of your photos from Photobucket, onto a forum, it doesn't use up that forum's web space.

Also if you want a photo removed on a thread you can no longer edit it disappears. I have just noticed going back on some old posts here the peoples photos are already gone with basically a note saying you need to pay for them to show up under the blank space.

Just an example starting the 4th post down

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=243135&highlight=pointer

Please forgive my ignorance - but can someone explain to me the advantages of using a third party like Photobucket or Flickr or whatever to host photos that are getting posted to forums?

I'm acutely aware that I'm not the most tech savvy anymore as I age, but I've always just posted photos either directly from my phone's album using tapatalk or straight from my computer/laptop. Works great, and I can guarantee I'll never charge myself for the service - what am I missing? :?:

On one UK forum I am on they limit you because of bandwith constriction to 3 pics a day.
If you want to post more than that third party links are unlimited.

I don't have the use of my computer right now, I do everything on a Kindle which doesn't have tons of memory.
I can link to sites like this and not use any, or retrieve pics I already have stored there so I don't have to look all over the forum for my old pics.
Just a couple of reasons to use these sites.

I am not having a problem with photobucket myself but I only have a few hundred pics on there and I don't know where the cutoff is before they limit you.
I will just leave them there and use others, there are plenty more out there.
Right now I am trying out this one thanks to the recommendation by ~Alan~ and it seems to work pretty good.
http://postimages.org

...If it's done purposely to eliminate the bandwidth use caused by third party posting, then "bravo" - I'm sure usage will drop like a lead weight over the side of a bridge.

On one UK forum I am on they limit you because of bandwith constriction to 3 pics a day.
If you want to post more than that third party links are unlimited.

Ok, so from Photobucket's perspective, it's clearly an issue of bandwidth use - I guess they've decided that if their service is getting pounded to supplement the bandwidth for half the forums on the planet, they may as well get paid for it :grin: Can't really blame them for trying I suppose - but as I said above, if they did it with the plan to increase revenue, they're crazy - no one will do it at that price point. If it was intentional to get bandwidth use under control, I guarantee they were wildly successful :lol: I'm not sure they completely thought through the impact from a mass exodus of users, though :laughing:

Why the worry? I upload all my pics directly to the forum... who cares abt a photo service linking?

They got me ....used to be an easy way to post multiple pics in one shot for me anyway but not for an insane fee like that.

Attachments

• IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 318
Back
Top Bottom