Finally cracked the 1800s

Chipk

Elite Member
After 5 years I finally cracked the 1800s.

Last year I found a 1783 Georvis Triumpho but other than that my oldest coin was a 1901 English penny. Well after some curb strip hunting in a very old section of town I found a very thin, very toasted coin. I cleaned it up as best I could and went to a nearby coin dealer. After a lot of examination and comparisons he declared I had a half penny circa 1860-1894. He was pretty sure it was closer to an 1860 date but couldn't be sure but that's good enough for me.

Interestingly, I told him about my Triumpho and he scoffed at the idea that that it was actually one. I showed him pictures I have on my phone and initially he believed it was an English coin. And even though I was in a bit of a rush and ready to go, I sat patiently as he broke out his books and after about 20 minutes he conceded that I actually had one. I thanked him for his time and left feeling good.

Attachments

• IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2101.jpg
    IMG_2101.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 311
Great job on that 1800's coin. I think your coin was minted between 1876 and 1894.

If you look at this website, you can see there are two types of 'bunhead' for Queen Victoria, and I think your's is the second one (1876-1894), because on the second type of bunhead, like your's, her face is more rounded, and her neck touches the coin's rim, just like your's. Hope this helps.

http://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-kingdom/queen-victoria-era-uk-halfpenny-values.html

Great job on that 1800's coin. I think your coin was minted between 1876 and 1894.

If you look at this website, you can see there are two types of 'bunhead' for Queen Victoria, and I think your's is the second one (1876-1894), because on the second type of bunhead, like your's, her face is more rounded, and her neck touches the coin's rim, just like your's. Hope this helps.

http://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-kingdom/queen-victoria-era-uk-halfpenny-values.html

Thanks for the link. The coin shop owner told me there were two variations but he was uncertain because of the condition of the coin and the fact we are two old farts with poor eyesight. He might have been playing up to me. LOL.

Congradulations and way to make the coin shop guy scramble threw his books to ID some amaizing saves . Sounds like a good coin guy who seems to take sincere interest and not just try to get you handled and out the door so he can get back to business or the internet or what ever it is they prioritize .
HH , đź‘Ť
Dew

Back
Top Bottom