My First Gold

agbkyle

Forum Supporter
Well, this was a first for me. Went to hit an old field in the woods I haven't hit in a while. Decided to hit it after a good rainfall.
Dug one hole, covered it, turned around and saw this just laying on the ground.
Has 925 marked on the clasp so not sure if that applies only to silver or if that can also mean gold.
All diamonds too but no way for me to know if they're real or cz.
Gonna keep my eyes open for local lost and founds for a bit anyway.

Attachments

• bracelet.jpg
    bracelet.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 2,627
It could be what they call "Vermeil", silver with a gold plating. My very first ring was one of those.

Congrats on your find a nice one for sure . You will always remember it .
Good Job HH Harold

We MD'rs are always looking at the ground anyway.. so surface finds are not uncommon for us.. Great find... hope the stones are real.... HH RickO

We MD'rs are always looking at the ground anyway.. so surface finds are not uncommon for us.. Great find... hope the stones are real.... HH RickO

Thanks!
Yes, a very nice find for sure. And even though it was surface I never would have found if I wasn't out MD'ing.

Wow that's a nice bracelet! I used to work in a fine jewelry store, and you are right, 925 refers to sterling silver, an alloy of silver (fine silver is 99.9% pure). For jewelry, they generally alloy it with copper, to make it stronger. It is 92.5% silver, 7.5% other metal. Sorry if that's getting into too much detail, but hope it helps! Sometimes when gold is plated on, they will mark that as well. So it will say .925 and also have a mark like 14k or 18k, but it's not always the case. You may be able to have a local jeweler check the stones with a loupe and diamond probe for authenticity. I used to have people come in with estate jewelry or found items to get them checked. Again, sorry if I rambled on too much, but just wanted to help out a bit. Either way, that is a lovely bracelet and a nice find. Thanks for sharing it!

You may be able to have a local jeweler check the stones with a loupe and diamond probe for authenticity. I used to have people come in with estate jewelry or found items to get them checked.

Thanks for all the info!!! It doesn't have 14k or 18k and from the searching I've done on the interenet, I found ones very similair that are only selling new for around $30.00 so I don't think it has much in value.
Being that you used to have people come in, doesn't it cost money to get it checked? If this is indeed around $30.00, as I suspect, I don't feel it would be worth the cost of checking out.

925 silver

Very nice, Not likely real diamonds in a silver setting. Great find anyway. Now there is the procedure when you find something like that. You must follow MDing protocol......."You put your left foot out, you put your right foot in, you put your left foot in an turn all about" Got it?....:lol:...Gil

Thanks for all the info!!! It doesn't have 14k or 18k and from the searching I've done on the interenet, I found ones very similair that are only selling new for around $30.00 so I don't think it has much in value.
Being that you used to have people come in, doesn't it cost money to get it checked? If this is indeed around $30.00, as I suspect, I don't feel it would be worth the cost of checking out.

Hey no problem! Well, we didn't charge people just to quickly check it out like that. You can generally tell within seconds of examining the stone under a jeweler's loupe and testing it with a diamond probe (an electronic device that has a tiny metal tip at the end and can be touched to the stone to determine if it's real diamond or not). Probing won't hurt the stone, but can tell if it's real or not. I'm not sure if other jewelers would charge for this service, but couldn't hurt to ask. Appraisals cost money because they consist of extensive examination and include a very detailed report about the item that gets printed up for you to keep. We sold a few pieces of silver jewelry with diamonds in them, but they were not the greatest quality:( But hey, it's still a neat-o find!

Congratulations!! Those "firsts" are the best ones. May you find many more in the future.:yes: You never know when you are going to find the real deal!!:D

Pretty neat! My bet is on cut glass or cz's due to the .925 designation.

One way that I've consistantly been able to tell if they're not real is to look at them under a 10x or greater magnifier and if the edges to the facets are chewed up, it's surely not a real diamond. If they're perfectly straight and crisp all the way around, investigate further...

314px-Diamond_facets.svg.png

Back
Top Bottom