Land And Water - Silver And Gold

angellionel

Elite Member
It's been a while since making a trip to the NY site I've hit this past summer. With the weather still cooperating, I decided to make the long drive to do some dirt digging in the morning and then shallow water detecting the beach at low tide.

The site I chose this time around was driving me nuts with all the trash it has! Every sweep of the coil was producing signals. I slowed down a bit and began to dig as many targets as my patience would allow. I haven't dug up so many pulltabs in years! I was particularly paying attention to the deeper sounding signals, and this allowed me to dig up about a dozen old wheaties, ranging in dates from 1924 to 1944, an IH in which I can only make out the first two digits, 18??, and a silver quarter. I also picked up a WLH, but that one was no more than five inches deep. There were some other interesting items as well.

After about 90 minutes I decided to call it quits while I still had some sanity left, and walked back to the car to change gears and head to the water. 8)

It was a minus tide, so a good amount of detecting area was exposed. Since I was using the PI, I headed to the water to detect at waist deep level. There weren't many targets, but I did pick up an 8kt gold filled ring, a buffalo and Jefferson nickel, a bracelet, though it isn't gold, and while walking by a rocky portion of the shore, a thin gold chain I had eyeballed. Before calling it quits after few hours, I briefly hit the wet sand area and picked up many zincolns. That convinced me - it was time for the long drive back home.

Angel

Land finds courtesy of the Sovereign GT. :D
Sovereign_GT_123006.jpg

Not a bad looking WLH ? 1943.
wlh_123006.jpg

Silver is always good!
quarter_123006A.jpg

I haven't cleaned it, so I can't tell what year it is. I can only make out 18??.
IH_123006B.jpg

A button.
button_123006A.jpg

Bullet 1.
bullet_B.jpg

Bullet 2.
bullet_A.jpg

The Jeffersons.
nickels123006.jpg

Water finds courtesy of the Surf PI Pro. :D
PI_123006A.jpg

This little guy kept following me while I was working the wet sand.
seagull_123006.jpg

The ring is 8kt gold filled.
ring_8kt_hgf_123006.jpg

I eyeballed this one.
chain_123006A.jpg

A dateless buffalo.
buffalo_123006A.jpg

Here it is after applying the Nic-A-Date for nickels. It's dated 1916.
buffalo_123006B.jpg

They sure hold up better in the water.
jefferson_123006.jpg

The bracelet.
bracelet_123006.jpg

Congrats on the good finds Angel and best of luck in 07. :yes:

Looks like a good day out, with some very nice silver. If you wouldn't mind me asking, what is Nic a date? Also what do you wear into the water to go waist deep?
Thanks
Roger

Roger B said:
Looks like a good day out, with some very nice silver. If you wouldn't mind me asking, what is Nic a date? Also what do you wear into the water to go waist deep?
Thanks
Roger
I had the same question, what's Nic a Date?

Thanks, Merf! I wish you a great new year!

Roger, spittfire - Nic-A-Date is a liquid used to restore the dates on nickels. It works nicely. :)

Here's a link to one site that has the product. Scroll down the page:

http://www.kelgory.com/coincleaner.html

Roger, I use neoprene waders. They keep me nice and warm in the cold water. For the hands and arms I use full length shoulder gauntlet gloves. :)

:wow: :wow: :wow:

Another awesome hunt! I can just imagine what else you'll find after you thin that trash out some more.

Thanks for the NicODate tip.

Great finds as usual Angel! Love the WLH! I know rusty always asks this but can I have it! :D

SteveMN said:
Great finds as usual Angel! Love the WLH! I know rusty always asks this but can I have it! :D

:lol:

The WLHs sure are nice looking coins. It's always a pleasure to find one. :)

Back
Top Bottom