0 of 3.5 million will detect with me

George (MN)

Elite Member
Minneapolis-St. Pail metro. Would it help to move or is everybody getting 0 results? Most detect only with family or life-long friends, or prefer to detect alone. I may quit soon as I don't want to spend my retirement years never seeing another person.

Minneapolis-St. Pail metro. Would it help to move or is everybody getting 0 results? Most detect only with family or life-long friends, or prefer to detect alone. I may quit soon as I don't want to spend my retirement years never seeing another person.
I know I've heard others talk about joining local clubs. Not only do the get good group hunts going but gives you a chance to meet hunting buddies as well. I am new to this, I have a son who lives out of state and when he's here we hunt like crazy. But other than that it's usually a solo mission. Most of that has to do with my hunting schedule. I'm out first thing in the am from 6-7 ish and then sometimes on my lunch hour. But I know what you mean getting someone to hunt with can be difficult. Keep trying you'll find someone who has similar schedule.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Clubs are a good place to start especially if they have outings or seeded hunts. This is a way to meet folks and possibly connect. A lot of detectorists are solitary creatures but many like the buddy experience.
Some run in small packs due to trust issues or having been burned in the past. I would not expect to go to a club meeting and have a bunch of invitations to hunt "their" spots.
One way to speed this along is to do research or network to obtain a permission or two. It is always good to have something to offer, like a spot to hunt.
When you do hunt with other members be sure to follow the code of ethics.....I have stopped hunting with a few in our club because of their methods.

Clubs are good to network, at least try it. I joined a club shortly after I started and didn't care for it much. Frankly, I prefer the solitude. That being said, I hunt almost every trip with my brother. We're both introverts to begin with. We meet at the location, say hi etc, put on our headsets and might see or speak to each other 4 times in the next 5 hours. At the end of the hunt, compare finds, discuss our next trip and adios.
I do believe one of your problems is people are reluctant to share good locations. They're hard to find and then get permission etc. After weeks of research, looking at maps, reading books, getting permission and finding access, I know I'm not thrilled with having some unknown personality, show up and jump on my efforts. I've done it but only with a select few.
If there's a place that sells metal detectors near you, query the sales guy about people that bought them, does he know them, give him your number and ask he give it to those guys he knows. You might get lucky.
I'll bet if you posted on here your location and said you had a banging, old spot you'd get a taker.

Back
Top Bottom