Do geese really fly south for winter

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
Last few weeks we have had alot of geese flying. Grew up hearing "the geese are flying south for the winter" this time of year. I was wondering where do they actually go - do they go to Virginia,North or South Carolina or all the way to Florida. I was wondering if you folks down south see alot of geese during the winter months and if so when they leave do you say "the geese are flying north for the summer".

Attachments

• geese.jpg
    geese.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 389
Last few weeks we have had alot of geese flying. Grew up hearing "the geese are flying south for the winter" this time of year. I was wondering where do they actually go - do they go to Virginia,North or South Carolina or all the way to Florida. I was wondering if you folks down south see alot of geese during the winter months and if so when they leave do you say "the geese are flying north for the summer".

We see some all winter long here in Iowa along the Mississippi River. If there is open water nearby we take short rides to watch them. It's just something we do together to get out of the house that doesn't cost money.:) Eagles too!

I think they fly as far south as they need to keep from freezing to death but that's about it.

I doubt it

I doubt it. If they do , they use the small ponds and lakes as pottie breaks. :D
Those things are like dogs when they relieve themselves. I think there is a Geese epidemic around here.

We have a TON of Canadian Geese around here. They mostly fly north this time of year. Maybe their GPS isn't working.

Dusty

There are a couple of major "flyways" that migratory fowl use. You can google on the subject for more info. Anymore, though, many of the geese don't bother flying south. What with all the forest preserves, parks and golf courses they just hang around all year. Here in Illinois we even have seagulls that hang around all year....picking through mall parking lots for meals.

Pretty sure the Mississippi flyway is the largest one.

They usually fly south as the water freezes.They can stand a lot of cold weather but when the lakes freeze they will move to open water.

correcto mundo

rats with wings

They are pretty durable in cool weather, but snow and ice drive them south.
They do make quite a mess on some of the golf courses and big public lawns.
The best deturent Ive seen on golf courses are composite coyote decoys...Gil

Geese

a friend has a .22 mounted on his dining room table ,sighted in on his dock, sign says "poop on my dock and die!!" the only part edible is the breast

Can't stand those geese. There are just so MANY of them and they make a huge mess in our lakes. Really fouls them up. My father in law shoots 'em whenever he can.

If they fly south, it must mean south of the arctic circle... Frankly, I don't
know they're called Canadian geese... They're all down here...

Back
Top Bottom