Carbon Fiber Handle for Scoops - A little history

Owl Engineering

Forum Supporter
For years I worked hard trying to make the Stealth X-treme scoop light and yet super strong which is a tough balancing act. One day while working on changes for the next generation scoop I realized that the wood handle was very heavy and while I might be able to shed a few ounces with adding a few more holes to the metal parts, I thought "why not a Carbon Fiber handle!" After all it is good enough for the US jets!

No one had offered such a product so I had to start from scratch and since we have a lifetime warranty, it had to be right. After a slow start, we are now selling them like crazy due to the fact that they really are a big break through. The rewards in our hobby drives hunters to want the very best equipment.

When you have something good, there are those who what to copy it BUT, as a knock off they need to be cheaper and cut costs to manufacture which typically results in an inferior product.

1 The Stealth Carbon Fiber handle has a one way "fish scale" texture which other knock-offs do not. This make it hard for the handle to slip in your hand when lifting.

2 We have an oversized custom machined cap which has a mark so you know where your scoop is pointing and is oversized so it is less hard to slip out of your hand.

3 The cap is white so you can let go while digging and easily see it when ready to move on (others have a cheap black plastic covering).

4 Some manufacturer brag about filling their tube with foam so to "make it float". This makes the handle HEAVIER. Our handle floats since it is hollow and sealed at both ends. Again a more costly approach.

5 Since carbon fiber is so hard, it cannot be gripped with the clamp as well as wood so we designed a stainless threaded insert at the bottom to hold the handle more securely (one of our original design features that have been copied).

6 We grind the lower end to perfection so it fits the scoop well.

7 There are other features built into our handle which frankly are internal secrets but they are there :lol:

More innovations are on the way from Sunspot - :cool:

What a great hobby!

Chuck

Attachments

• 1 carbon fiber handle image   b.jpg
    1 carbon fiber handle image b.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 431
  • 1 carbon fiber handle image   a.jpg
    1 carbon fiber handle image a.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 378
  • 1 carbon fiber handle image   c.jpg
    1 carbon fiber handle image c.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
I always depend and trust Sunspot's attention to detail and quality. Since I purchased my 720i I have never looked back. While I use your wooden handle, I wouldn't consider a Carbon Fiber handle from anyone else. Thanks for making such great products.

My/your 720i and carbon fiber handle is a piece of art as far as I'm concerned.
I've snapped one of your wooden handles which is not easy to do. I don't suspect thats possible with your CF handle.

Thank you Chuck for always re-investing in your R&D. It shows!

I purchased the 720i and CF handle as soon as it was available. It is one of my most precious MDing accessories. The detectors may come and go but not your scoop.
As I age I would like a smaller version of the Stealth 720i. Maybe a 720i and a half.

I have three of them now. One for my 990, one for my 920 and a travel handle for the 920. I wouldn't trade them for anything else. A great product if I may add to the comments

Just purchased one for my 720i scoop and I'll echo what everyone else here is saying. Great Quality, Great Product and Outstanding Customer Service.

Love the carbon fiber and my 720...but being a in the water hunter I could not deal with the constant looking for the line up mark to get the scoop facing forwards....so I put a "Better" grip handle on, for me. I grab the scoop and feel which way it is facing and adjust by feel, much faster. A cheap fix for 5 dollars.

I do a lot of hunting with drygloves on, to keep things from twisting to the side when loaded...I also personalized with some grip measures.

Chucks setup is by far the best I have used in my short detecting career. Diablo was close but with chucks lifetime warranty...can't touch this.

Attachments

• 20181220_160333.jpg
    20181220_160333.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 20181220_160343.jpg
    20181220_160343.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 20181220_160254.jpg
    20181220_160254.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 339
Chuck - an added benefit, although I am no expert, is I believe the white plastic end cap also keeps the handle from shattering at the top when it accidentally falls as has happened to me on occasion. Your scoop is great and your CF handle is great!

my CF broke 2 days ago after 5-6 yrs of brutal digging in rocks and more rocks :laughing:,i contacted chuck and i have a new 1 on its way already thanks for all your help chuck i really appreciate your help and prompt attention to my dilema stealth scoops and handles rock!!!!!:D:D

Attachments

• 1218181649.jpg
    1218181649.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 1218181650.jpg
    1218181650.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
my CF broke 2 days ago after 5-6 yrs of brutal digging in rocks and more rocks :laughing:,i contacted chuck and i have a new 1 on its way already thanks for all your help chuck i really appreciate your help and prompt attention to my dilema stealth scoops and handles rock!!!!!:D:D

Seriously? I'd love to see a pic of where it broke. If you broke your CF handle, your SS cage must look trashed:D

Broken Carbon Fiber handle

Seriously? I'd love to see a pic of where it broke. If you broke your CF handle, your SS cage must look trashed:D

Some of the earlier units had a plastic core that was too shot. This caused all of the load where the plactic stopped (inside). We went to a lower wood core which is lighter and plenty strong. We also thickened the wall of the tube a little on that next production run.

We have not had many break :yes:

Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Chuck

Back
Top Bottom