9/11 - Where were you?

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
Where were you when you heard about what was going on?

I was working customer service at a small grocery store in CT. The store opened at 8:30am and instead of the store having lines out the door waiting to get in, the store was empty. Then a customer came in and told me about a plane hitting the first tower.

After hearing from occasional customers for the next hour about what was going on, I asked the manager if I could leave, and they said "No." I don't know if I will ever forgive them for that, I should have just left!

We were cleaning carpets at a customers house and watching it on their big screen

I was at work. Alot of people were glued to the internet watching the events unfold. I left work and went to my parents house to watch the tv. Shortly after I got there the second tower collapsed.

I did go back to work but nobody was actually doing any work. A very sad sad day.

bootmud

I was working in a lumber yard at the time. I remember the weather that day as being beyond beautiful. Our yard guy used to listen to the radio in one of the lumber sheds. He came in and told us something was going on. I remember making calls to customers I had no real relationship with and business did not come up at all - only what was going on. There was a sense of shock and emergency.

At lunch I went to a pizza joint down the street. They had a tv on and that was the first time I saw the footage of the planes hitting the towers. I rememebr not being able to even describe it to the guys back at the lumber yard.

The lumber yard is right next to the airport and I remember how odd it seemed when the planes stopped flying. Again, the sky was so blue and clear that day. The beauty of the weather was strange in light of the horrible events.

The next day was my normal day off and it was awful. I did nothing all day but watch coverage on TV. It was overwhelming. I will not soon forget.

I was at the airport in Baltimore (BWI) waiting to catch a plane back to Florida. Finally had to do a "one way" rental car to drive back...all flights cancelled.

Watched the horror on airport TV's.

I was at work finishing the welding on a custom radiator for a 1955 nomad when it started to happen...kinda strange that before that i had built hundreds of radiators and that one is the only one i can remember..even remember the guys name who ordered it....there where 4 guys in the shop that day and we spent the whole day in the office huddled around a TV in shock.

I was in my car listening to KPFA public radio , once they started to get first hand interviews from people on the scene, the government blacked out the radio station........That was a good indication that there was more to the story then what our government would soon be force feeding us .......

The day before, we had taken my mom to the emergency room. She had suddenly come down with extreme back pain and was unable to walk or stand. I thought that was bad. On 9/11 my brother woke me up with a phone call and told me to turn on the TV. Then I was really stunned. Couldn't stop watching it. The next 4 months were like a bad dream in slow-motion. Finally got mom back home 4 months later. Got her standing and taking a few steps a few days later. (It was a massive spinal abcess that caused the pain. Took them 3 weeks to find it.)

A year before that I had worked with the Chase bank in NY over the phone. (I had to leave my job in Dec. of 2000 to take care of mom and lost all contact with my old clients.) I've always wondered if my old contacts there made it through.

I was at work. I had finished one job, and was going to start another the next day, and in the mean time my crew was helping another crew, so I went to wash my truck at a nearby carwash. I heard the first report in the car wash, but I figured it was just a small plane, so wasn’t overly concerned, but when I got back in the truck, they said a second plane had struck too. I got back on the job and told everybody else, and then found out it wasn’t small planes, but airliners instead, and everybody was kind of stunned. Then came word of the Pentagon and the Pennsylvania crash, and it started seeming like the whole country was under attack. We had a full view of the sky, and started seeing all these big contrail circles, and then shortly thereafter empty skies, and if you live in this area, that’s very strange, because usually you can see several planes. We spent the rest of the day listening to the radio and wandering what was going to happen next.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>At the end of the day, all the gas stations were full, with lines going out into the street. Some stations had raised their prices to exorbitant levels, and were later charged with price gouging, which I thought was great—to this day I won’t go to those stations.

When it came over the car radio I was on my way to detect a park about 20 miles out of town. After I finished detecting I heard about the second one and just went home and watched the news and was saddened, steve in so az

I was at my desk working.. six am here... had the radio on.. the commentator was interrupted.. said a plane hit the WTC... he kinda laughed, said it must have been a small plane, amatuer pilot. Later, the second plane hit.. and the radio announcer went berserk.. 100% coverage after that... not much work done that day... used the computer to watch the video coverage.. and saw the buildings come down.. very sad... What is sad here, there will be minimal mention, if any, of the event. The political scene here tries to ignore those things now... very, very sad. RickO

I was at work building the back wall of an attached garage on a house we were framing. I was alone that morning and didn't find out what was happening until my dad called me and said the world was falling apart. I didn't know what he meant so he explained the situation. After that I turned on a radio and listened to the reports for the rest of the day while I was working.

On the way home from work I passed a small 2 tank gas station and the road was almost blocked with people trying to get in. Then further down the road was another station that was packed. I went in to get some pop. No gas. I made a comment to the clerk how pissed off I was. Not at the jacked up price of gasoline, but at all the idiots who thought they'd better hoard gasoline. She gave me a funny look as if she didn't understand me. I'll never forget that. Even when a national tragedy strikes people are consumed with self-interest. Maybe I'm the only one who saw it that way.

ya know carol,i just came in the house and thought to myself,i said"self,why don't ya ask everybody where they were today when the towers fell".guess you beat me to it.i was framing houses in a retirement comunity called Tellico Village here in Tenn..the boss man had his radio on in his truck and we were
lisnening to this talk show called"mancow in the morning".It was a BEAUTIFUL
morning cool,blue blue sky's.i was standing holding a sheet of 4x8 plywood
handing it to the guys on the roof and trying to make sence of what i was hearing on the radio.the guys on the roof was getting mad cause i wouldn't
hand the plywood on up,i told them to shut the he*% up something bad had
happend in New York City.I remember it like it was yesterday and i'm sure all
you guys do to.it is still hard to believe it when they show re-plays of it on
tv.looks like something out of a movie.it was a very sad day and always will
be.

I was working locally, putting in a new bathroom for a customer. He had the day off and was watching the live coverage on Sky News. Until the second plane hit they thought it was an accident.

Terrible scenes :(

i was in 3rd grade. we got to go home early and that was all I cared about. Very strange because all of the kids were getting picked up. Us kids figured something was going on....got home and was horrified. I had never been so scared.:(

I was sitting in my 4th Grade classroom and my teacher came in crying. She scared the crap out of us and turned on the TV. I don't think us students have ever been so shook up at school.

I was late leaving a parttime job for my real job and heard on the truck radio that a plane had hit the first tower. When I got to work everyone was busy working and no one knew anything had happened. I turned on the a TV and had the receptionist make an announcement. We gathered around and watched in horror. No one said a word.

I had completed Army BCT and AIT about two months prior. I was sleeping in a family friends basement when the mom came and woke me up... just in time to see the second tower get hit. I pretty much went back to sleep... didn't catch up with it until later in the day.

Was living in North Stonington, CT at the time.

I called off work that day to grade my lot off that I had back filled. Needless to say I didn't get much done that day.

Back
Top Bottom