Old Hammer Head - What Language?

dirt-diggler

h12.jpg

h11.jpg

It looks Egyptian to me too, but I couldn't match any of the symbols up. So I am thinking it is not Egyptian.

As far as the story goes, I walked into a park this morning that dates back to the mid-1800s (Settlers were in the area since the late 1700s) and I got a high 80s reading. I began to dig next to this big tree and out came this hammer head. That's it really. I searched around the tree some more, but nothing else related popped up.

It seems out of place to me...

Thanks for the help and opinions everyone. The cane comment is interesting.

If I took a picture from the top, there is a slit - the ones that you see on wooden handle hammers. That's why I thought it was a hammer....I could very well be wrong though.

I don't believe that it is any sort of hammer.

And my first impressions of the symbols were Native American. Perhaps Navajo, Hoppe, or Zuni?

The symbols are a mix of Egyptian with some nonsensical stuff thrown in. As others have said most likely a cane head.

Joves - are you positive of the egyptian symbols? I tried validating by looking at the characters, but I wasn't able to. I am obviously not an expert in that area. Just curious how you arrived at the conclusion of Egyptian mixed with other characters. Thanks

im guessing a knock off cane handle, it looks a little to dainty to be a hammer.

The more I think about it, I am in agreement. I keep thinking that it makes more sense for a cane top to be decorative than a hammer head.

Now to figure out what the language is on it and what it means.

I think it is a cane handle, and the hieroglyphics are sort of egyptian-looking. This sort of thing was probably a souvenier of someone's "grand tour", dating maybe to the 1920's, or earlier, I would guess. It could also have been produced around the time of King Tut's tomb discovery, to capitalize on the demand for egyptian things.

-- Tom

I agree a Sword or Dagger hilt.. The writing is a codices of some type. I would find out what people were in the area through history and you may get a clue to which codices it might be. Could be American Indian,Saxon,ect.
You may want to email the picture to a university that has a history department.

Sword or dagger hilt is likely what it is..
If you look on one side it has a slit for the blade with the other showing an oval shaped hole for the handle.. I don't believe it is a cane handle based on these 2 factors..
Sonnydigs

could it have been a sword or dagger for ceremonys. like masonic as an example but not masonic. some other order that is not as well known.
DMD

Back
Top Bottom