• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A Small and Unfortunate Setback

Relic Seeker

Hello, fellow detectors.

I think I am in the right forum page, as I did not see any others where an announcement might be appropriate. A little over a week ago, I posted a few pictures and promised more the coming Saturday. I just wanted to inform everyone of the whereabouts of those pictures.

I regret to announce that I did not go to search the area, as the night before, while crafting some wooden boxes in my basement (for firewood), I had an accident involving my hand and an electric saw.

The bad news is, no metal detecting until the stitches are out and the wound is sealed completely (wouldn't want to get infected, or else I may never use my hand again); but the good news is, even though I'm down a hand, I will be metal detecting and posting pictures again regularly once the stitches are out and a few days more have passed (we're looking at the 15th of February).

You folks gave me a good community with good people in it to support me, and I owe it to everyone to post regularly and share my finds. So, I can promise, one-handed* or not, I will detect again. No saws will stop me from doing what I enjoy.

*I did not lose the hand, but the extent of the injury will involve physical therapy (maybe months, but I hope not.)

Thank you all for accepting me, and I hope to give you guys some pictures of finds within the next few weeks regardless.

-RS

Well ok, we will let you off the hook this time. LOL

Take care of your hand hope it heals nicely. My stepson lost several digits in a band saw incident, I know it's not fun. I myself have a wood shop and now my wife freaks out when I go out there.

Table saws! Lots of Human digits lost to them! I bet theres some sort of medical data suggesting what are the most dangerous commonly operated power tools...? I have run a hand held circular across my leg once...got a nice scar from that event..had dinner last night with a buddy who lost his thumb and forefinger to a table saw about 3yrs ago...Fortunately, the doctors took off his second toe, did a reattachment, and made him a thumb out of it, and you would not know unless you looked really close..even though he only has 3 fingers on that hand....

Feel for ya man , I 'm a plumber worked around carpenters all my life , seen some accidents along the way , most preventable. . Is it really a accident when someone doesn't know how to safely use a tool ? My first thought when I pickup a tool is how can I get hurt ? Power saws in particular , I try to go over everything I learned through the years before turning on the power . # 1 don't work with anyone you don't trust 100 % even if that's yourself ! Best wishes for a speedy recovery . Hope your out there digging soon ! ! ! HH

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you heal soon.
I have had a setback myself, I was out running last week when I cam e upon a tractor brushing snow off the sidewalk, I moved over to the grass beside the sidewalk and suddenly found myself face down with the wind knocked out of me and a sharp pain in my left foot. Unknown to me there was a metal rod sticking out of the ground and bent at a right angle, it pierced the top of my running shoe and tore between the webbing of 2 of my toes before burying itself into my foot.
Now walking to the restroom is a most painful experience. Does not help that we heal slower as we get older!

Back
Top Bottom