Any auto mechanics?

dan

Elite Member
My 1997 Lumina has a problem - the windshield washer quit working. When I turn it on, not only does it not spray the windshield, but the wipers suddenly go very slowly, as if there is a drag on them.

Hopefully an easy fix?

Thanks!

I believe the motor that drives that system is dead or about to be dead. Happened to my g/fs 96' Blazer

Im no SAE certified auto mechanic by any means but, Ive turned wrenches for the better part of the last 30 years.

My guess would be the wiper switch is going bad. To rule out the sprayer pump, you could disconnect the pump and try the wipers. If they speed back up to normal, its the pump. If not, I would bet money on the wiper switch being faulty.

The pump should be located on the fluid reservoir. Just unhook the connector attached to it.

Check out rockauto.com for parts. Their prices are hard to beat and the customer service is fantastic. Ive dealt with them for years.

FIXED IT!

I pulled out the wiper pump (found out how by googling it), whacked it on the concrete a few times, put it back, and it worked.

It had to have been frozen up.

NOW my question is, should I expect the pump to fail again soon?

Thanks!

lol you fix things like me...beat it until it gives and starts working or throw it away.:lol:

lol you fix things like me...beat it until it gives and starts working or throw it away.:lol:

You should see me driving down the road trying to get my radio to come in on my car .... I'm leaned over, wacking the passenger's side of the console. It used to work all the time but not so much now. My radio will just go all static .. I think the antennae wire is messed up in the console or something. Shutting the radio off for a few minutes and turning it back on sometimes makes it work again, other times it's wacking the side of the console with my hand, and sometimes I set it to scan (and it doesn't scan right when it's acting disfunctional) and wait for a station to come in, then I try to find something good before it goes static again. :mad:

You should see me driving down the road trying to get my radio to come in on my car .... I'm leaned over, wacking the passenger's side of the console. It used to work all the time but not so much now. My radio will just go all static .. I think the antennae wire is messed up in the console or something. Shutting the radio off for a few minutes and turning it back on sometimes makes it work again, other times it's wacking the side of the console with my hand, and sometimes I set it to scan (and it doesn't scan right when it's acting disfunctional) and wait for a station to come in, then I try to find something good before it goes static again. :mad:

lol! wouldnt happen to be a chevy would it? every chevy i have ever owned the radio would only work when it wanted to and when it went out youd have to beat the dash board and that would only work sometimes.

lol! wouldnt happen to be a chevy would it? every chevy i have ever owned the radio would only work when it wanted to and when it went out youd have to beat the dash board and that would only work sometimes.

No, it's the Hundai I bought brand new 10 years ago. Still runs good, I'd drive it cross-country if I wanted to, but I'd have to put a new radio in it first!

I'm thinking the MP3 player in my cell phone is sounding better every day.

Back
Top Bottom