Fixing Rechargeable Battery Pack for Whites

dutchroots

I bought my Whites XLT used about 18 months ago and it came with both the rechargeable battery pack and the pack for replaceable AAs. The NiCad rechargeable pack would never charge up enough to suit me so I took it over to Batteries Plus. They picked a similar battery pack off their shelves, which is actually meant for remote controlled toys, and soldered the new pack into the old Whites sleeve.

It worked great! Up until the time I went to England and accidentally fried the adapter. But that's another story, and there's a fix for that too.

I don't know what the cost of an official Whites battery pack is, but the battery I bought at Batteries Plus was $22, and the guy rigged it up for me at no charge.

You can also modify the regular battery very easily. All you have to do is get some NiMH batteries a diode from Radio Shack and a connector at Radio Shack. You can use the charger that came with the detector to charge the battery pack. Steve.

Parts

8 AA rechargeable batteries
Coaxial power jack Radio shack part # 274-1582
Diode 1N4001 Radio shack part # 276-1101
Two inches of hookup wire ( any insulated wire)

TOOLS

Drill

¼" drill bit

Soldering iron and solder (non acid)

Attachments

• Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,467
  • Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,341
Hey SkiWhiz! I just did this Mod on my battery pack. It works great, and much easier than pulling the batteries every time to charge them. I was a little concerned at first since the Whites Charger is designed for NiCad. The NiMh batteries don't seem to heat up at all though. Thanks again.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Hey SkiWhiz! I just did this Mod on my battery pack. It works great, and much easier than pulling the batteries every time to charge them. I was a little concerned at first since the Whites Charger is designed for NiCad. The NiMh batteries don't seem to heat up at all though. Thanks again.

Keep Swing'in
Jack
You are welcome Jack, don't worry about the NiMh batteries they are better than NiCad's in my opinion mostly because they won't get a memory effect. I wouldn't use fast charge though, the slower we charge batteries the better. Steve.

thanks for the tip, I'm about to rebuild the Whites rechargable I have and while I'm at it, after seeing your mod of the regular batt pack, think I'll change it to rechargable also....Doesn't look to hard.
thanks, TN

Back
Top Bottom