• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Knife style digger vs shovel on lawns

I use a large Bowie type knife

<snipped>

Just reminded me of having Dads WWII Bayonet, he used it to dig with metal detecting.

(snagged pic off internet)

iu

I had a nice bayonet that I loaned to someone as a digger. I never got it back and I can't remember who I loaned it to. They are collectors items now.

I've drug my Sampson T-Handle shovel everywhere I've swung a coil, and for about six years. I think its perfect for cutting plugs, knowing in advance the plug will be a minimum of 4" x 4" When a light scraping/scratching of the surface or small plug needs dug for a shallow sounding target, the Lesche digger comes out.

I dunno, I keep hearing the term "speed" in a lot of aspects of the hobby. When did it become such a race to efficiency? I've watched a couple videos on youtube from a group of MDers, a popular one. They use shovels. I've seen them flop a 12" plug over, and still missed their target, it's setting on the side of the hole they just dig :lol:

I will say, I'd guess there's less chance of a plug of grass dying, or being pulled-out when its that large. I think you need to keep in mind public perception. Sure, someone will be right along and say "well, if it's not against the law...blah, blah".

Think about Bill and Betty who live in a nice 1850 homestead across from the old park watching a guy with a shovel flopping large plugs of dirt over. They won't understand, but I will tell you what they'll say if that guy heads over to ask permission on their property.

I'm not knocking either way, I'm "not your supervisor" :lol:, but if it takes you 30-60 seconds longer with a hand digger over a shovel, have you really lost anything? Have you stood to gain possibly (remember Bill and Betty)?

Much too has to do with how considerate the person detecting is, meaning how grateful he is for the permission he was granted. I use a drop cloth (18" square) on manicured lawns, and all the dirt stays on it, and it all goes back into the hole. I also make it a point to try and blend the plug back in best I can. If it's an irregular shape, put it back in the way it came out. The 3-sided flap method even better.

There's one place I will use a shovel, a field. Everyplace else is a hand digger. That's me, not wrong/right, just what I do/think.

I'm willing to bet my "speed" with the Lesche beats anyone with a shovel on turf. I'm, at a normal pace, less than 15 seconds. Less than 10 for most recoveries. And as for damage? The shovel tends to grab more dirt, and compress the sides of the hole more than a turf cutting tool does. Clean plugs aren't only for a shovel...

Plus, when all I need to do is flip a coin out of the detritus, I can do that VERY easily with a Lesche. Digger shovel? No way.

Plus... if I dig a nice small plug, and the object is in the middle... just saw through it. with a shovel? Good luck.

MAYBE... just maybe a person who has bad knees does better with a shovel with a long handle... but I'd pit my lesche skills against the best of the shovelers, any day for sub-6" targets.

Note the qualifier! Anything more than 6" and I'm always wishing i had a shovel. LOL

Back
Top Bottom