Sand Shark Maintenance Help

imalookin2

"In Memory Of"
Forum Supporter
Posted in water hunting since the SS is a water machine and I am hoping for help from water hunters who actually use this MD.

The lower rod (connected to the coil) is hard to remove after a day in the salt water. If I let it go three trips or more I have to soak it in water then pour oil down the tube and let it soak more before I can twist it out.

I am about to grease it with axle grease during reassembly. I think the heavy grease will displace the salt that is causing my headache and allow me to use it more than once before cleaning it again. I don't care about attracting dirt, the salt is worse I believe and is causing my problem.

I can say for sure, if you never disassemble the lower rod after multiple uses in salt water you are in trouble. Took me 2 hours tonight to get it apart and only used it 3 times since the last cleaning. If you don't clean it from time to time you may not get it apart. If the rod gets damaged or you want to change the length or set it up for diving or snorkeling then you got a problem. After each use I take it in the shower and soap and water it down good. That does not help after several trips since the lower rod gets salted up inside the tube. Any one tried grease on the SS lower rod?

Clean it after each use and try spraying it with silicone spray.I always leave my detectors too long and they get permanently stuck.I am fine as long as I dont get shorter :lol: Good Luck

Looking forward to your results!

My advice, do not put grease on it! Take it off EVERY TIME you go to the beach. I think if you "grease" it, you will find the sand will be even more of a problem, because your rod lock will be all gunked-up. For me, no excuses, no shortcuts. I take it apart and clean it every time. :cool:

Grease would be fine if all you were dealing with is salt water. Unfortunately sand will stick on the grease and create a bigger problem. I'm not sure you have any other choice but to remove the lower rod after each use. I'm getting a Sand Shark in a week or so. I'm pretty sure I will be lengthening/shortening its lower rod before/after each use, on account I will be storing it in a carry bag. I guess I may have to remove the lower rod after each use if it's going to freeze up on me.

Raphis

My advice, do not put grease on it! Take it off EVERY TIME you go to the beach. I think if you "grease" it, you will find the sand will be even more of a problem, because your rod lock will be all gunked-up. For me, no excuses, no shortcuts. I take it apart and clean it every time. :cool:
Hi Terry, I watched your video and agree with your advise. Only problem is my coil is hardwired and the box also. It is a PAIN to rewind the cable every time. Does the memory on the cable go away after a while? PITA.

Lol!

Hi Terry, I watched your video and agree with your advise. Only problem is my coil is hardwired and the box also. It is a PAIN to rewind the cable every time. Does the memory on the cable go away after a while? PITA.

I have the hardwired machine as well. I use velcro straps on the lower rod, no wrapping at all, then just spin the rest onto the first metal rod, before velcroing it again. Takes 25-minutes to clean it and put it back together. Remember to take the batteries out. You know how the springs in clips become weaker if you leave them loaded to capacity all the time? Springs in battery clips do the same thing. I take 'em out, recharge 'em and don't put them back in till I am ready to go.

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 333
Yeah, I'm thinking if you were to first remove the coil from the lower shaft, you wouldn't have to mess with the coil windings that are on the upper rod. Not sure that would make it any easier though...

Raphis

I have the hardwired machine as well. I use velcro straps on the lower rod, no wrapping at all, then just spin the rest onto the first metal rod, before velcroing it again. Takes 25-minutes to clean it and put it back together. Remember to take the batteries out. You know how the springs in clips become weaker if you leave them loaded to capacity all the time? Springs in battery clips do the same thing. I take 'em out, recharge 'em and don't put them back in till I am ready to go.

Terry, sometimes I come up with some great ideas of my own. Seeing how you run your coil cable is YOUR great idea that I will steal. ;) Guess it shows your experience and NOT mine. Thanks man! It was my newbie mistake of not seeing how simple it can be. Brother, you are the bomb.

I... have still never taken the lower rod off and rinsed it... after a good 60 hours of hunting...

I rinse the machine down real good after hunts, but taking the lower rod off and rinsing off where they connect... is just a buzz kill... :lol:

Hopefully I can get it off when I switch to a 1 piece straight shaft.

I do keep the the rest of the machine and the rubber waterproof gasket in perfect shape... but the lower rod connection... nah...

I... have still never taken the lower rod off and rinsed it... after a good 60 hours of hunting...

I rinse the machine down real good after hunts, but taking the lower rod off and rinsing off where they connect... is just a buzz kill... :lol:

Hopefully I can get it off when I switch to a 1 piece straight shaft.

I do keep the the rest of the machine and the rubber waterproof gasket in perfect shape... but the lower rod connection... nah...

I agree... I used to take the detector apart but after a while I switched over to giving it a good rinse.. if it freezes up so be it at least it won't move around as far as I am concerned those lower shafts are cheap enough with the amount of gold I find... heck I keep 2 of everything anyway in the spare parts dept. :yes:

Loosening up

I used to break my Sand Shark down after every hunt. It required high pressure hose water aimed at the tensioner while I wiggled it it back and forth, jetting the sand out of it. But eventually the tensioner wore out, a result of sand being scraped across the bearing surfaces over and over. The shaft got so wobbly that I ended up drilling and bolting it in place permanently. I don't think this would be specific to a Sand Shark. I think any shaft would wear out if routinely disassembled while full of sand.

Or you could switch to a straight shaft that is much easier to maintain. I make my own for less than $30. but use the Plugger shaft clamps, they don't jam from salt and sand.
With a straight shaft, remove the end plug and flush the shaft and lower rod from both inside and out, done in 30 seconds. One of my straight shafts is probably 6 years old and still shortens easily.

Parts list for straight shaft pls... how do you drill the holes so they are perfectly centered?

Would also love to see pics of the straight shaft setup.

Straight shaft is the way to go... its so much easier swinging in or out of the water... my DF glides right through the water much easier than it did with the S shaft...

I am just heading out the door to catch the low tide. I will do a detailed post this afternoon with a parts list and instructions on a new post so this one does not get hijacked. Stay tuned.

Thanks CanSlaw, I would be hunting today myself but have a funeral to attend. Probably be out tomorrow though. Good luck on your hunt!

I just did a forum search on straight shafts, there are a few good threads on making one. I'm going out to buy 7/8" x 4' aluminum tubing (marine supply store) and a mountain bike grip handle (wally world) right now... hopefully I'll have it ready for tomorrows hunt. Only problem is the lower shaft lock...

Wonder if it would be easier to just take a blow torch and straighten my S shaft...

Today I hunted and when I got home I pulled the bottom shaft out of my Sand Shark. I came out easily. Yesterday I had dropped some motor oil into the tube to be able to remove this shaft. Today it came out real easy, mostly because there was a light coat of oil on the shaft. For now on I am going to lightly oil the shaft and remove it after each hunt. Seems to work so far. Much better than re-assembling it dry.

Bad Advise

Removing the lower shaft after every uses for a long period of time WILL wear down the inner and outer part from all that sand grinding...ever worst using oil!

Back
Top Bottom