Deeptech Vista X

BootyHunter

Anyone here own or used this detector? I just picked one up, wanted a beep/dig vlf Land machine to compliment my other screened machines. I have used pi's alot, and several beep and dig water machines. I know its a pretty simple operation, but wondering what peoples experieces with it were versus the latest bells and whistle models? I like learning new machines, and think that sometimes "less is more" so when the weather cools down in a couple months, I'm going to give this thing a workout. I do like the build quality and construction and balance at first glance. Will see if I say that after swinging it for hours, but im used to heavy machines like the GPX and CTX.

Timbertodd: said:
Monte did a good comparison write up over at American Heritage Research and Preservation.
You forgot Society, and it's easier to abbreviate ahrps before the .org. Only the Forums are current right now as we are working on it.

BootyHunter: said:
Anyone here own or used this detector?
Yes, I have and did a review as Timbertodd directed. I added one or two follow-ups to the initial evaluation. I bought a brand new Vista 'X' with the standard octagonal-shaped DD coil as well as the small 5.7" DD coil. My ruler measures an inch in 8th and 16th and not in 10th increments, so a quick glance at my ruler suggests the coil's measurement as close to a 5¾" round-shaped diameter. So, p[ardon me if I use 5¾" to describe that coil.

I haven't hunbted beyons my test area here at home with the standard coil, and that's because I seldom use bigger-size coil. If I need one, on only periodic occasions, I have one on a Simplex + or Vanquish 540.

Most of the places I enjoy hunting for over 37 years are very brushy and iron contaminated ghost towns and other old-use sites. For those, I rely on smaller-size coils to fit in and around and between the building rubble, weeds and other growth, and a lot of unwelcome debris.

I bought the Vista 'X' because I like to hunt in a 2-Tone audio function and listen to a lot of the iron debris so I can slowly work around it to try and unmask potential non-ferrous / higher-conductive keepers. For that, the Vista 'X' makes a very functional 2-Tone 'Beep-and-Dig!' detector, to be sure. It can also be used as a single-tone function by turning the Iron Volume control (which is really a Low-Tone Volume control) fully counter-clockwise to silence all rejected targets. The Disc. control, or Alt Disc. for that matter, function as a Break-Point adjustment setting for the Low / High 2-Tone reference.

I wanted the 'X' primarily for hunting those very iron contaminated old remote sites, and it does well. Unfortunately, I don't do as well anymore, and my age, health, and mobility issues have encouraged me to make a shift from putting in 85% of my detecting time for 37 years hunting ghost towns and similar places, back to doing more urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting like I did for 17 years before that.

Now, I'll do 10-15% of my hunting in my favorite older-use locations and the other 85-90% of my detecting in the futures will be local, shorter-drive Coin & Jewelry Hunting sites. I have a good detector team for all my needs and am actually thinning out several detectors I own that have seen little or no use. They are excellent detectors, but I just have too many, and I have my two trusted Tesoro's for urban area hunting so I even decided to part with my nice Vista 'X'.

I'm sure that once you learn it and get comfortable with what it can and can't do, you'll enjoy using it in YOUR favorite sites. If they are very trashy, however, I do suggest picking up the small 5¾" DD coil.

Monte

Thanks Monte!

First, thanks for the time you took for the reply, its appreciated! Secondly, I bought the X for the same reason as you, because I also like to hunt in a 2 tone mode, dig or no dig type hunting, and I listen to the iron because where theres iron, there are good non ferrous targets kept hidden from the feint of heart. And with that being the case, I did purchase the small coil along with the detector. As I said, I've used lots of beep n dig machines in water hunting, and pi machines relic hunting as well as water hunting, so hunting by tone is not a foreign concept to me. I think were alot alike, I have way too many detectors too, but I love getting diggerent machines and learning them, and hunting my sites multiple times with the different machines. That way, I feel I get as much from a site as humanly possible, as some detectors excel at things other dont. Hate to hear you parted with the X, was hoping it would be the type of detector you just couldnt part with, but I understand. Thanks again for the reply, take care!

The small 5.7" coil also would make a good accessory coil.
I had one of the first two to hit North America to field test with the larger stock coil.
DeepTech has now come up with an in-between sized coil, which is supposed to be a really great coil. Never tried one of those.

Check out my website https://www.treasurelinx.com/deeptech_md.html

bootyhunter: said:
first, thanks for the time you took for the reply, its appreciated! Secondly, i bought the x for the same reason as you, because i also like to hunt in a 2 tone mode, dig or no dig type hunting, and i listen to the iron because where theres iron, there are good non ferrous targets kept hidden from the feint of heart. And with that being the case, i did purchase the small coil along with the detector.

I think were alot alike, i have way too many detectors too, but i love getting diggerent machines and learning them, and hunting my sites multiple times with the different machines. That way, i feel i get as much from a site as humanly possible, as some detectors excel at things other dont.

Hate to hear you parted with the x, was hoping it would be the type of detector you just couldnt part with, but i understand. Thanks again for the reply, take care!
Way too many Hobbyists rely too heavily on a visual display, and quite a few also like to have a lot of audio tones to listen to. I seldom do except with a couple of detectors I enjoy.

I have often kept too many detectors around. Not just some classic oldies I have for demonstration use in my seminars to show what we had and where we came from, but some dated models that I enjoy using on a regular basis.

As for the Vista 'X', I haven't sold it ... yet. I am still trying to decide what to hang on to and what to thin out. Last fall through December I had 17 to 21 detectors around and would part with one or two then add something back in. A bad habit, I guess, and I have trimmed my detector team down but still have room to go. I'd like to trim the outfit to maybe just having 6 to 8 models on-hand, and I'm definitely not there yet.

If I was still able to work old Relic Hunting sites 85% of the time, the Vista 'X' would be a regular in my carry models, but due to health and impaired mobility, I'm having to shift back to 85% of my time hunting locally and in other towns and cities. Old site visits will be limited to perhaps 10-15% of my devoted hunt time and my CoRe and Relic handle the bulk of those needs.

So it is still around, just resting here in my den until I figure out what I'm going to do with it and a few other models.

Monte

The small 5.7" coil also would make a good accessory coil.
I had one of the first two to hit North America to field test with the larger stock coil.
DeepTech has now come up with an in-between sized coil, which is supposed to be a really great coil. Never tried one of those.

Check out my website https://www.treasurelinx.com/deeptech_md.html
Thanks Sven for the Reply! I will check those links out, and yes I have the small coil for it and think it will be advantageous for the sites I plan to use it on.

Back
Top Bottom