Historic Aerials

LeGaCyGiAnT124

Do any of you guys use other sites besides historicaerials? I know sometimes in certain areas the aerial images are blurry, and was just wondering if there were other tools you guys used to find older places and things that once were there. Thanks!!

-Brandon

Google Earth has something similar.
Not all areas in the country can you go back in time and see what was going on but some.

Sanborn fire insurance maps have a lot of information going back pretty far.
No real imagery but very detailed neighborhood and building type maps.
Many archived all over the net and a lot of them listed at public library sites in many different states.

Just keep going back into previous threads in this sub-forum for lots of info.

I have been going to eros.usgs.gov. You have to register, but it is free. Once you are there, click on "find data" then click on "aerial photography" then "aerial photo single frames>earth explorer" then enter the address.... it is complicated... on second thought here is a youtube video explaining the process:
https://youtu.be/YpPiAFbgqKs

In historicaerials, I use the "compare/slide" option to see if there are old topographic maps that indicate buildings (black squares) in the areas I'm interested in searching. It's helped me find several old foundations.

In historicaerials, I use the "compare/slide" option to see if there are old topographic maps that indicate buildings (black squares) in the areas I'm interested in searching. It's helped me find several old foundations.

Good tip. I hadn't used that. I just used the slide feature on the aerials but not the topo's.

Wanted to add something here as well. I use Historic Aerials and use it a lot.
I use the compare slide bar too.
But what I wanted to add is over on the left hand side there is the aerial maps and topos maps. Now play with the topos maps. See that they mark schools?

I came across an old Happy Heart School that was torn down in 1970!

Today that piece of property is a township park. Where the school sat, is now the baseball field. Also, seeing this I realized when the school was there in the pre 70's the original baseball field was next to the school.

After the discovery I had many firsts. A 2 cent piece, shield nickel, first 5 silver day, pocket spill (3 silvers and 2 wheats). Its been quite rewarding.

HH DD

............I came across an old Happy Heart School that was torn down in 1970!

Today that piece of property is a township park. Where the school sat, is now the baseball field. Also, seeing this I realized when the school was there in the pre 70's the original baseball field was next to the school.

After the discovery I had many firsts. A 2 cent piece, shield nickel, first 5 silver day, pocket spill (3 silvers and 2 wheats). Its been quite rewarding.

HH DD

:cool:

Good research and investigation is priceless.

I look through the maps on historic aerials by starting with the oldest imagery and look for ballfields or parks. Anywhere that looks like people have gathered. Then I just switch to today's imagery and see what's there now. Some imagery is blurry but ballfields are pretty easy to make out. Smaller homes are tougher to make out sometimes. I don't use historic map works too often but it is a great site for sure. The only maps I haven't really used are the Sanborn , only cause they are a little harder to acquire. HH!

Also remember that your best resource may not be online or on any map. Go to the local small coffee shop where the oldtimers hang out and strike up a conversation. Those guys will often tell you were all the old picnic sites, swimming holes and hangouts were back in the day. Often stuff you will never find online anywhere and could very well be vigin territory.

I look through the maps on historic aerials by starting with the oldest imagery and look for ballfields or parks. Anywhere that looks like people have gathered. Then I just switch to today's imagery and see what's there now. Some imagery is blurry but ballfields are pretty easy to make out. Smaller homes are tougher to make out sometimes. I don't use historic map works too often but it is a great site for sure. The only maps I haven't really used are the Sanborn , only cause they are a little harder to acquire. HH!
Also, CD another one that is easy to make out are old football fields. Because most of them have the oval track around them. Yea back in the day when kids use to play outside. Lol
HH DD

Back
Top Bottom