Looking for wet and dry sand depth with the Equinox 800

Tatback

I'm a Pi guy at heart as I don't like the feeling of leaving anything behind or missing out on something just because of a few inches. My primary hunting is on beaches just to find myself a reale since I'm just south of the treasure coast.

I haven't even opened my 800 as I'm not sure if it'll be strong enough on wet sand or dry sand to hit those deep old coins.

Looking for advice or experiences of depth.

Last edited:
As Scuba said, it doesn’t touch PI depth. My TDI probably hits like 4-6 inches deeper.

Equinox strength is sensitivity to small gold.

In Florida don't be scared to give it a try. Ive run several PI detectors. Found they didn't offer much more depth if any where I hunt. CTX and excaliburs had no problem pretty much matching depth. That's why I got rid of all my PI detectors for the last time. The crab pots and bobbie pins will break you of wanting a PI before long.:lol:
Edit. I used two Dual fields and an Infinium with double D and mono coils. Someone else uses a Sand shark. FWIW in my opinion the sand shark is a bit shallower than an Excalibur,CZ21, BHID or CTX. Cant speak for the TDI since nobody here I know has one.

I'm exactly like you. I've got a ctx covered in the dust because the depth is nowhere near my tdi. With my pi if it's there im hitting it. With the ctx I'm not so sure

Forgot to mention. I just bought another blue Excalibur 1000 for cheap in great shape. best time to buy while others are on the fence on what to get:shock::lol: Also would say a CTX with 17" coil likes deep silver. Including Reales. Tested some to see where they hit. You know what im also looking for now:shock::laughing:

Thank you for all your responses, I’m really stuck at a cross road. I was really fast to jump on the 800 since I had problems with my old Pi machine and had to send it back.

My dad is actually still using his original Excal 1000 and is right now up in Sebastian with my mom hitting the beaches for coins. He just had it all checked and tested and had new headphones and a new 10x12 coil installed too. He loves it.

I’m younger (32 this year) and In not too bad of shape so digging to China or digging a thousand holes isn’t too bad.
I was a pretty popular but tiny beach a few weeks ago using a Pi and ended up digging 142 targets in 3 hours but ended up with two rings. I also helped a lady who was snorkeling find her missing pearl ear ring.

After thinking about it... I don’t think the Pi was my kryptonite. I think it was the tiny 5” diameter and 6 inch scoop with a metal pole I was using . It was small but heavy at almost four pounds. Might as well of been using a soda can.

I really don’t care much about modern jewelry. Just a Reale... from the ship to the sand to my hands.

Forgot to mention. I just bought another blue Excalibur 1000 for cheap in great shape. best time to buy while others are on the fence on what to get:shock::lol: Also would say a CTX with 17" coil likes deep silver. Including Reales. Tested some to see where they hit. You know what im also looking for now:shock::laughing:

is that the one i saw on ebay that ended yesterday larry ? was in great condition if thats the machine you got

is that the one i saw on ebay that ended yesterday larry ? was in great condition if thats the machine you got

I was wondering the same thing, just saw one on an Anderson shaft go for almost nothing. I was very surprised.

Thank you for all your responses, I’m really stuck at a cross road. I was really fast to jump on the 800 since I had problems with my old Pi machine and had to send it back.

My dad is actually still using his original Excal 1000 and is right now up in Sebastian with my mom hitting the beaches for coins. He just had it all checked and tested and had new headphones and a new 10x12 coil installed too. He loves it.

I’m younger (32 this year) and In not too bad of shape so digging to China or digging a thousand holes isn’t too bad.
I was a pretty popular but tiny beach a few weeks ago using a Pi and ended up digging 142 targets in 3 hours but ended up with two rings. I also helped a lady who was snorkeling find her missing pearl ear ring.

After thinking about it... I don’t think the Pi was my kryptonite. I think it was the tiny 5” diameter and 6 inch scoop with a metal pole I was using . It was small but heavy at almost four pounds. Might as well of been using a soda can.

I really don’t care much about modern jewelry. Just a Reale... from the ship to the sand to my hands.

Sounds like you come from a Treasure Hunting Family! You were raised right!

There can be a benefit here beyond depth. If there is a lot of deeper iron with the EQ you may find with its fast response you get targets you miss with the PI. If a non-ferrious target is near say a piece of iron or under it...... even a shallow piece... you may get a good tone that could have sounded like minerals to you otherwise. If you have a talent and patience no other machine will match a GOOD PI for depth especially on a sanded in beach. The question is depth vs response vs separation. You can cover a lot of ground because the EQ has a really fast response. I suggest you flag a 20' by 20' area ...... grid and make with checkers use red for PI and black for EQ. That should give you a good read on the two machines depth, response and sensitivity. Keep the targets separate........ EQ, PI.... and that both hit. Lay um out and check the trash to treasure.

I'm a Pi guy at heart as I don't like the feeling of leaving anything behind...
I don't like that feeling either. I started with a PI and have almost always had a PI as a backup since it just never disappoints. But take that PI in to hunt for modern stuff in the trashy areas, and that is a whole can of "NOPE".

If you are using a PI machine, there is absolutely no way the Equinox will get the depth you are getting.
As Scuba said, it doesn’t touch PI depth.
in most scenarios, I agree. But there are exceptions.... ;)

CTX and excaliburs had no problem pretty much matching depth...
Select the right mode/setting and I agree.

Thank you for all your responses, I’m really stuck at a cross road...

Remember, the 15" coil will eventually make it to market. When you have a machine this sensitive to gold, imagine the possibilities when coupling it to a 36% larger coil!!!

Back
Top Bottom