All those that Scuba or Snuba underwater

Buellride

Forum Supporter
To be clear, we are talking about being fully submerged not waist/chest deep hunting (though I do that too :D).

Anywho, wondering if folks that hunt lakes and such with silt at the bottom, where fanning is not the ideal choice to do in terms of clouding up the water; does anyone use a scoop of any sort to "scoop" the target and then sift through the scoops contents while underwater?

Just thinking of a better way to recover target than fanning and waiting for the silt to subside.

Sorry for the long question.

No scoop and no fanning in muck and silt. I carry at least two of these mesh bags clipped on to my BC. I gently (major word) scoop handfuls of muck and wave it in front of the coil. When the target is in my hand I put the whole handful in one of the bags. I hold the top shut swish it in the water, open it up and carefully take out the target and put it in the other bag.

A LOT of broken glass down there. BB gun shooting aluminum screw top bottles comes to mind (Guilty when I was a kid) I haven't been cut in a super long time.

Even after swishing the water gets murky. I don't care. I hunt in zero visibility anyway a lot of times. Practice and more practice makes you comfortable in the water. I never look at my targets until I get out anyway. Waste of air and time. Plenty of time after dives are over to ogle finds.

I feel that carrying anything more than what is on my BC and my detector is just too much junk.

The bags are made by XS Scuba, P/N BG570. They are 6" X 9" and I think they are perfect. They have a clip to clip on one of your D rings on a BC and they have a string closure.

In the Detroit river, bag clipped on BC on right side. If you are interested:

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-xssclb/xs-scuba-collection-bag

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight! Yea I can relate to "not having time to look at finds" piece, last time I got so involved with looking at the targets I blew through my air faster than I wanted. Will check out the bag idea.

Also, ditto on the pic...you probably look ALOT like I do in the water...no old guy jokes:laughing:

No scoop and no fanning in muck and silt. I carry at least two of these mesh bags clipped on to my BC. I gently (major word) scoop handfuls of muck and wave it in front of the coil. When the target is in my hand I put the whole handful in one of the bags. I hold the top shut swish it in the water, open it up and carefully take out the target and put it in the other bag.

A LOT of broken glass down there. BB gun shooting aluminum screw top bottles comes to mind (Guilty when I was a kid) I haven't been cut in a super long time.

Even after swishing the water gets murky. I don't care. I hunt in zero visibility anyway a lot of times. Practice and more practice makes you comfortable in the water. I never look at my targets until I get out anyway. Waste of air and time. Plenty of time after dives are over to ogle finds.

I feel that carrying anything more than what is on my BC and my detector is just too much junk.

The bags are made by XS Scuba, P/N BG570. They are 6" X 9" and I think they are perfect. They have a clip to clip on one of your D rings on a BC and they have a string closure.

I use a 6" drywall knife to get the target "moved" then I find it with my hands. I rounded the corners of the drywall knife on a grinder and wrapped the handle with orange duct tape. I have a pinpointer but I rarely use it, usually I leave it in the truck.
I think I'll try the mesh bag and see how it works this season, sounds like a good idea.
Usually I'm in water where I can see at least a foot and that helps. I've tried a scoop before but it was hard to get a good scoop full. It seems I needed more weight to really use a scoop, the drywall knife stirs up less sediment.

That unit looks suspiciously like a Cz21?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hows the current down river? I used to dive up stream at the head of the St. Clair at the bridge. Was a little to strong to detect but did alot of visual targeting and grabbing.

You dive in my home town of Port Huron. No current you can't swim against down that way.

I always thought that the current in Port Huron was really bad...now granted, I'm not a swimmer or a diver, was just going off other people's accounts.

So it's not moving as fast as it looks?

I always thought that the current in Port Huron was really bad...now granted, I'm not a swimmer or a diver, was just going off other people's accounts.

So it's not moving as fast as it looks?

Port Huron has the fastest navigational waterway in the world. You need to be an expert to dive here. Impossible to swim or dive against the current and you have to hug the bottom when a 1000' freighter goes over top of you. Absolutely CRAZY up here. If you are comfortable and have all your safety equipment, there is a lot to explore up here. Metal detecting is absolutely out of the question though. I didn't dive up here last year at all.

My picture was taken in the Detroit river, not the St. Clair river. They are connected but lake St Clair is between them. Diving in the Detroit river for most people is illegal.

You cannot use a dive flag in the St. Clair river. Freighters and boats have the right of way. You go in at the sea wall and come out at the seawall. Surfacing in the middle is suicide.

St Clair river at the bridges to Sarnia Ontario. About a mile from my home. The first picture is me at the seawall, it is 25' deep here. Just going in.

Port Huron has the fastest navigational waterway in the world. You need to be an expert to dive here. Impossible to swim or dive against the current and you have to hug the bottom when a 1000' freighter goes over top of you. Absolutely CRAZY up here. If you are comfortable and have all your safety equipment, there is a lot to explore up here. Metal detecting is absolutely out of the question though. I didn't dive up here last year at all.

My picture was taken in the Detroit river, not the St. Clair river. They are connected but lake St Clair is between them. Diving in the Detroit river for most people is illegal.

You cannot use a dive flag in the St. Clair river. Freighters and boats have the right of way. You go in at the sea wall and come out at the seawall. Surfacing in the middle is suicide.

St Clair river at the bridges to Sarnia Ontario. About a mile from my home. The first picture is me at the seawall, it is 25' deep here. Just going in.

If the current is so bad how did people go swimming?

I use a small wire basket mounted on the detector shaft, I grab a hand full of mud check the target is in there and put it in the basket then I can continue detecting as the mud falls through the wire, some times I put multiple targets in to save time and keep that coil moving on the bottom.

Attachments

• sifter1.jpg
    sifter1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 357
If the current is so bad how did people go swimming?

Some kids swim there. They have ladders every 100'. They jump off the raiing and let the the current take them to a ladder. You don't swim here really. Nobody hunts here. I don't metal detect up here. Just in the lake on the other side of the bridges which is lake Huron.

I dive there to find 2 pound fishing sinkers to sell back to the fishermen. You can see the yellow minnow bucket I have on my belt. I use it for sinkers and lures instead of a mesh bag because taking treble hooks out of a mesh bag is an absolute pain.

I also find bottles from the 1700's and up out there. No that is not a swimming place at all for most people.

I use a small wire basket mounted on the detector shaft, I grab a hand full of mud check the target is in there and put it in the basket then I can continue detecting as the mud falls through the wire, some times I put multiple targets in to save time and keep that coil moving on the bottom.

Glad someone else chimed in. That looks like it would work jut fine also. Does it ever get caught in the weeds though? Some places I hunt I have to mow over a lot of them. Did you make that basket?

Thanks for sharing

So what is the visibility like there (Port Huron) I imagine pretty good if the current is dragging all of the silt off.

I'd love to dive, but my ears !!!! out around ten feet or so, and the eustachian tubes don't open to equalize the pressure, nor can I get them to open.

If it's illegal for most people, is it inappropriate to ask if it is for you as well? Or does illegal just mean that if you screw up, you are in big big trouble?

Glad someone else chimed in. That looks like it would work jut fine also. Does it ever get caught in the weeds though? Some places I hunt I have to mow over a lot of them. Did you make that basket?

Thanks for sharing

Hi Bob
where it is close to the handle weeds are not much of a problem,but it has happened.
it is a Walmart special, with some mods.

Attachments

• walmart.jpg
    walmart.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 321
  • walmart2.jpg
    walmart2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 316
So what is the visibility like there (Port Huron) I imagine pretty good if the current is dragging all of the silt off.

I'd love to dive, but my ears !!!! out around ten feet or so, and the eustachian tubes don't open to equalize the pressure, nor can I get them to open.

If it's illegal for most people, is it inappropriate to ask if it is for you as well? Or does illegal just mean that if you screw up, you are in big big trouble?

Visibility in Port Huron is between 1 and 30'. On a north wind you can forget diving up here. No silt at all. Just a 4" layer of zebra mussel shells in a lot of places. I only dive here when the water is clear enough to see the bottom at the seawall which is 25' down.

No it is not illegal for me to dive in the Detroit river. Some sheriff officers thought it was and I had to prove them wrong. There are only a few folks that legally can.

Hi Bob
where it is close to the handle weeds are not much of a problem,but it has happened.
it is a Walmart special, with some mods.

Thanks, there are lakes with muck and no weeds that that idea might work better. Sometimes when my hand is full of muck and I am trying to get the bag opened some of the muck and the target fall off my hand and it is a BEAR to chase a coin or ring in muck and you can't see.

Sometimes when my hand is full of muck and I am trying to get the bag opened some of the muck and the target fall off my hand and it is a BEAR to chase a coin or ring in muck and you can't see.[/QUOTE]

YES and who said it is easy doing it with a blindfold on :laughing:

When I get the target in my hand I slide the basket under as not to move it very much as I have spent a lot of time trying to relocate and recover a target

Back
Top Bottom