• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox and a Florida Sandy Lake Hunt... Best Settings?

Treasure Quest

I'll have a bit of free time at my mother in laws this Easter where there is a nice sandy bottom lake with lots of beach access. Can anyone recommend the best setting to use for the 800 in a fresh water Florida lake? I don't know if the beach settings are the way to go.

I'll have a bit of free time at my mother in laws this Easter where there is a nice sandy bottom lake with lots of beach access. Can anyone recommend the best setting to use for the 800 in a fresh water Florida lake? I don't know if the beach settings are the way to go.

Wading a Freshwater inland Lake in FLA?...Id recommend a shortshaft 12ga bangstick with 3" buck..for starters...I'd probably have a pair taped to my forearms...

It's a good thing you got the 800 and not the 600. As the Equinox 600 does not have the special setting for repelling alligators. Make sure it's turned on.

Crystal Clear Water But......

Ha ha! Yea, my wife already asked what was wrong with me. She had a friend who after a run, jumped in a nearby pond and lost his left arm. The good thing is it's a swimming beach with floating ropes etc. but I'm sure a gator doesn't really care. May have to rethink this as I'm kinda addicted to breathing!

Get yourself a chainmail suit as well. Won't keep a gator from dragging you under but it will keep him from tearing a leg off.:laughing:

A common misconception is gators won't swim in fresh water springs due to the water temp. Ha ha ha ha, so wrong! Here are pics of gators in the swimming areas of Fern springs, Silver Springs, and another spring towards West Palm...

Gators can sneak up on you without making a noise, or wake in the water. They can cover a span of 10-15 feet at lightning speeds, usually at a rate of 3x what a human can.... but yes, put a gator on an olympic track against a sprinter, and the sprinter may have a chance once he/she is up to speed.

Attachments

• Alligator floating in Fern Hammock Springs Florida July 29 2012.jpg
    Alligator floating in Fern Hammock Springs Florida July 29 2012.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 278
  • big-gator1.jpg
    big-gator1.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 274
  • silversprings.jpg
    silversprings.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 279
breeding season

March and April are the months the alphas are on the move. The females are tucked away where it's void of human traffic. Gators usually are wary like deer except when they are protecting young and or hungry.

I hunt freshwater lakes during the summer and in 15 years have seen only a couple. I golf twice a week and see a lot of gators in and around canals and ponds. I feel an attack would be most likely around water than in it.

Out of curiosity what part of Florida will you be hunting. There are crocadiles
in the southeast part of Florida in canals. They are nothing to mess with.

The 800 acre lake I hunt has a lot of swimmers and at last count estimated 88
gators in that lake.

Never go in the water for a late night swim. Gil

A common misconception is gators won't swim in fresh water springs due to the water temp. Ha ha ha ha, so wrong! Here are pics of gators in the swimming areas of Fern springs, Silver Springs, and another spring towards West Palm...

Gators can sneak up on you without making a noise, or wake in the water. They can cover a span of 10-15 feet at lightning speeds, usually at a rate of 3x what a human can.... but yes, put a gator on an olympic track against a sprinter, and the sprinter may have a chance once he/she is up to speed.

Wow wild pics, especially that last one with her on the bottom chilling. Spooky :jawdrop:

I once made myself a Gandalf Wizards hat out of a FLA gators tail! Posted it on Facebook! ....yeah, a damn 14 footer tried to rob me right in the parking lot in Orlando on I drive!..Luckily, I had my 12ga taped on forearm bangsticks!...

I dont go south of TN without bangsticks!...I cant imagine going to Disney World!...Gosh danged snarfgobblers all over the place!..

FLA motto is the 'Sunshine State?' Tourist Please!....should be: "If you aint unarmed when you show up, you will be when you leave!"....:laughing::laughing:...I will say though...Id rather risk battling a big damn Fla water lizard than getting off a Skyway exit accidentally in Chicago!....

Sure, you may get yourself a free hat or a pair of shoes out of the experience..if you are rocking a Warthog gatling gun...Bangsticking FLa Alligators is just a whole lot easier...and, you get to keep the wallet!.

Well That Puts a Damper on Things...

I thought I would try the water there because of this little incident:
True story. Same lake where years ago they would set up a carnival near the water. I get a nice signal, get down on my knees, cut a shallow plug, flip it back and see this weird shiny looking root sticking out of the dirt a little. So, what do you do when you see a weird shiny looking root? You poke it. Yea, not a root. Snake. Not a big one, maybe a foot, but snakes are never happy when you poke them with a digger. He coiled, I rolled backwards, grabbed my detector (and my chest) headed straight to the car. Maybe I should just drive to a beach in Panama City.

Don't go in fresh water in Florida

The cottonmouth snakes are a lot more aggressive than the gators.

A water skier near Orlando once landed in a nest of them.

Worse than a swarm of bees.

Dead.

Let me see what the odd are Gil since gadders dont eat every day..... but then there are 88 chance its feeding day at the park.:laughing: I certainly wouldnt have bacon for breakfast.

You may get away with hunting in park 2 mode there and using 20khz..... if you are gold hunting. I like my iron disc at -4... but in fresh water id go up 2 digits. Id still like to have it below 0 and turn the volume to iron down to say 4. AUTO GB near the water.

Back
Top Bottom