AT PRO IN Costa Rica

aamechs2

Just got back from Costa Rica. Let me say what a great place! It's my fourth time there but first with a metal detector. Now I know at the Florida and Texas beach my AT PRO ground balances like around 10 or so. But this was volcanic black sand and on the wet sand at the beach. Wow double whammy.
It actually ground balanced at 88 to 93 on the wet sand. It was very chatty and I hate to turn down my sens so I stayed mostly in the dry sand. It did ok even though it was black sand . I found coins at a depth of about five inches. When I went to the wet sand, I finally went through all the settings I could think of. I liked the Pro Zero mode with nothing notched out and no iron disc in the very lowest sensitivity. It actually was quiet but could only get a depth of about three inches. At low tide there was about an eighty foot wide strip of wet sand. I really wanted a better beach detector... But it's coming. Any one else took their AT PRO down there?

Never been to Costa Rica but I did take my AT pro to Hawaii recently and that was a waste of time. Tried every setting and adjustment and could not hunt in wet sand or water at all. At pro is a great detector for land and fresh water but it is like a fish out of water in saltwater beaches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah... It was TOTALLY useless in the ocean. At the very lowest setting it beeped continuously.

Only tried hunting saltwater beaches once in SC. Actually didn't do too bad with the ATP. It has been several months, cant remember the actual GB number but I did have to tweak it a bit manually. Also, turned the sensitivity done some and didn't have an issue in the wet sand. Found some pull tabs and a clad penny. Admittedly, it did perform better in the dry sand. I don't live close to any beaches, so the ATP will work fine for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom