These inexpensive PI machines...

Birddog1911

Okay, I keep seeing these inexpensive PI machines, and I have to wonder. Are they worth a darned for deeper diving? Clearly, they aren't going to be as good as the high dollar machines, but, worth checking out?

I'd love to combine my 2 sports, but some models make a guy :shock::shock:

The cheapest PI detectors are a kit you make yourself. Some you even make your own coil. f I were a diver id just buy a good multi frequency diving machine. You dive the right places it's gonna pay for itself anyways. FWIW a pi you may spend all day digging hooks and bobbie pins. I had three PI units and am glad to be free from all that iron. No more pi's for me. Also unless you are specifically searching for shipwrecks a pi would make little sense. Gold and silver are where its at!

For example? Sea hunter, sand shark?

Just started looking, but didn't see these?

The cheapest PI detectors are a kit you make yourself. Some you even make your own coil. f I were a diver id just buy a good multi frequency diving machine. You dive the right places it's gonna pay for itself anyways. FWIW a pi you may spend all day digging hooks and bobbie pins. I had three PI units and am glad to be free from all that iron. No more pi's for me. Also unless you are specifically searching for shipwrecks a pi would make little sense. Gold and silver are where its at!

And that is a large part of my concern. I really don't want to spend my air on hooks and garbage. I may just have to save up, I guess.

I have a Sand Shark that I bought used for $250. It was just over a year old from the original purchaser and was in pristine condition at the time. First time out it paid for itself. There are beaches that I frequent that I would never use it unless it were a last resort, but on cleaner beaches I like the simplicity of beep and dig and not worry about trying to discern tones.

My Ace 250 will be fine for FW beaches, and a Nox is in my future. I'm specifically asking about detectors that I can take deeper than 20ft.

Okay, I keep seeing these inexpensive PI machines, and I have to wonder. Are they worth a darned for deeper diving? Clearly, they aren't going to be as good as the high dollar machines, but, worth checking out?

I'd love to combine my 2 sports, but some models make a guy :shock::shock:
This thread will list all popular brands of PI and MF-VLF detectors.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248905

PI is the cheapest way to get into diving (beyond 10' deep) and metal detecting. The down fall to a pi machine is it can't effectively discriminate unwanted targets like junk iron, but when u dive many areas don't have a lot of trash. Read more and then continue to post questions.

One place I want to hunt has a good chance of producing very well. Problem is, it's at 81ft deep. You don't have time to spend hunting garbage at that depth. Well, I don't, I'm not a tech diver.

And that is a large part of my concern. I really don't want to spend my air on hooks and garbage. I may just have to save up, I guess.[/QUOTE]

If you have an abundant number of lakes with swimming areas and you can get out beyond where the waders have been, you should find enough to off set the higher cost of a disc. detector quicker than saving for one. If you look at ALL the finds in this forum I would say about 99.5 % were found in areas that are accessible to all detectorests,
Get out where you do not have competition. Get a big catch bag like" Scuba " and throw all targets in it and check what you have when you are done. When you start finding rusted nuts and bolts you know you are in the area of a swim platform and will find the treasures that are there.

I have three Tesoro Tiger Sharks. I bought one for 200.00 and one for 250.00, GREAT fresh water VLF machines. No way would I use a PI in fresh water in most places.

Most my hunting is in 8' of water or less. Lots to find over waders heads.

I have three Tesoro Tiger Sharks. I bought one for 200.00 and one for 250.00, GREAT fresh water VLF machines. No way would I use a PI in fresh water in most places.

Most my hunting is in 8' of water or less. Lots to find over waders heads.

Had to look it up, 200ft rating. That's good, and all things considered, very reasonably priced. Particularly if I find a used one.

Had to look it up, 200ft rating. That's good, and all things considered, very reasonably priced. Particularly if I find a used one.

It has discrimination and it has depth. It compliments my CZ-20's and CZ-21's and had found things they have missed. Including masked coins and rings and rings with broken shanks .

I can tell real deep targets with them and I am positive it is an asset. My only problem is the way some of adjustments are made. But make them once and leave them alone.

Figures, been a while since ones been for sale.

Hey Scuba, can I interest you in a gold and diamond pendant?!:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom