Pennies

smallest denomination
small in size. in general you get more pennies in change.

99 cents change back

3 quarters
2 dimes
1 nickel
4 pennies

29 cents change back

1 quarter
4 pennies

things that cost .99, or 1.99, or 2.99

you get 1 penny back.

lol I am sure there are more theories..

maybe because people are generally not willing to pick them up after they drop them. "oh well.. it's just a penny".

mostly because if most people drop a penny, they don't pick it up .... it's not like they could buy anything with it or use it in a vending machine

Simple. They produce a crapload of them compared to other coins.

CoinStats.jpg

I've always thought they produce more of them because people can use more as ammunition per dollar than the other coins.

Ah the penny...the ultimate schoolyard weapon.

Pennies are just an afterthought, you have more of them, can't use them in vending machines... and most of us just throw them in the ashtray of our vehicles, where they end up on the floor and if they fall out, who cares...just a penny!

My theory

Find that some people simply throw them away. Parking lots, side of the road, anywhere they wish.
I pick them up all the time. Must have a gazillion by now.Now, where did I put them! :?:

Simple. They produce a crapload of them compared to other coins.

CoinStats.jpg

I've always thought they produce more of them because people can use more as ammunition per dollar than the other coins.

Ah the penny...the ultimate schoolyard weapon.

I always wondered exactly how much there was in a crapload....now I know! :lol:

Lots of reasons. One being they are worthless, the newer ones I mean. They are not even copper anymore. Of the almost 1000 pennies I have dug up this year, a good 10% are the newer zinc ones that are so corroded and pitted with pieces missing, you can't use them for anything or turn them in for "real" money.

JC

To sum up:

1. More pennies in circulation by far than any other coin.
2. Many people don't bother picking them up if they drop them.
3. Kids like to throw them.

And the big one you all missed:

4. They are much harder to see on the ground that coins that look "silver" (that is, all coins but the penny). So even the people who would pick them up walk right by them.

Back
Top Bottom