Chasing the newest detector

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
In 2015 I got back into detecting and bought a new Garrett AT Pro. It had been out about 5 years and was a hot seller for many good reasons. Easy to learn, good detector performance, priced decent and the some of the best customer service by Garrett.

So had I lots of fun and success hunting with the AT Pro. Got up to speed rather quickly since there were not a lot of features to learn.

Then came Fall of 2017 & 2018 and I was impressed with the media blitz and forum posts on how great this detector was. It was the detector to end all other VLF detectors according to Minelab. You could even sky dive with the sucker. We all know by now this was the famous Equinox.

I just had to have one. Based on the media blitz and early reviews I just knew this new detector was going to double, no triple or maybe 10x my good finds.

Three years later I sold my 800 after being somewhat disappointed on that my finds actually were not as good as with my AT Pro and certainly not 2x,3x or 10x. How could this be?

Probably because I was fiddling around with all those advanced features on Nox 800 that I really didn't quite fully understand. So I was thinking of buying an XP Deus. My good source on another metal detecting forum vferrari said the performance of the Nox and XP Deus 1 were similar so I would be just bogged down learning a completely new detector.

So here we are today with a lot of people raving on the XP Deus 2 and how it is the very best detector. Then there is the legend crowd saying much the same thing.

Well they both might be the best detector. But are they the best detector for your hunting needs. Maybe? or Maybe Not. Are they better by a 2x factor. Hardly. Maybe more like a .025X factor if that.

At best the XP 2 & Legend are just maybe a little bit better than the Nox 800, but that is very hard to prove. Since most comparison videos are rarely apples to apples comparisons. It is virtually impossible to set the settings on an XP 2 and Nox 800 the same and make a fair side by side comparison of pre-dug targets. But that is the best we can do, but few youtubers make those almost direct comparisons because they have an agenda and employ settings and target setup that favor their latest and greatest detector they are promoting.

Your average detectorist would do well to buy a good detector and spend his/her time learning that detector and really learning to master it. This is how you increase your finds, not buy buying the next greatest and latest detector being hyped and having to waste valuable hunting time learning the latest and greatest menus along with new bells and whistles.

I admit I made that mistake with the 800. I spent way too much time trying to use the advanced 800 settings using it in a very trashy urban environment hunting civil war relics or rings in trashy parks.

Most Equinox users know how difficult a task that is and requires you to almost dig every signal. In a trashy urban environment like Metro Atlanta there are seemingly unlimited numbers of pop tops, pull tabs and pieces of can slaw to dig. And I might add great quantities of foil, bottle tops and foil lid liners/protective seals.

Based on advice from vferrari I have my forever machine a brand new CTX3030. Yes people are buying this detector that was released 13 years ago. Compared to the 800 it was fairly easy to learn. I still have a lot to learn, but the CTX is not as difficult to learn as the 800 in my opinion.

So I guess we will still see all these lengthy comparison posts and videos but the bottom line is there is not that much difference between an Equinox, XP Deus 1 or 2 and the Legend. So just why not flip a coin and stick with the one you buy for a long while and master it. Thinking your can master one of these in 50 hours is optimistic at best.

I am done chasing that extra 5% of detector technology. Yes you can make it lighter, better batteries, more buttons, more menus and faster processors but the hard fact of metal detecting physics and geology pretty much has us at stuck at our current limits. The only new detector I would consider at this point is a lighter, faster CTX3030.

Last edited:
maxxkatt IMO using the preset's on the Equinox is where it's at. People spend toooooo much time changing settings and there lies the problem. Learn the factory settings, what the machine is telling you and run with that.

Steve

Some of you may laugh a bit, but I still like and use my AT Pro. Bought it in spring 2015, going on 6 years now, has found me a ton of coins. A simple "turn on and detect" machine. For where I live, the type of hunting I do, the semi arid climate with coins not super deep, it does just as well, sometimes better, in giving me better finds then my detecting buddies that all use the Equinox.

I don't see how the Equinox could ever be considered hard to use. A person can only change Sensitivity, Recovery, and Iron Bias. You need to mess with Sensitivity depending on the site EMI. Recovery is a pretty basic setting unless you go completely overboard in either direction. Iron Bias is also to me a no brainer on land. Put on F2-0 and learn the machine or keep the factory IB settings and go.

As stetam said the factory settings in each program are super as they are. Not every single person is going to jell with the Equinox, but regardless it's one of the best detectors made.

Edit: The CTX is a fantastic detector. I would not say it's easier to use than the Equinox though. If the CTX was as light as an Equinox I would probably own one. The Legend may end up being as good as the Equinox. The DII may be better in some respects. I am just sticking with the Equinox until Minelab releases their next one.

Some of you may laugh a bit, but I still like and use my AT Pro. Bought it in spring 2015, going on 6 years now, has found me a ton of coins. A simple "turn on and detect" machine. For where I live, the type of hunting I do, the semi arid climate with coins not super deep, it does just as well, sometimes better, in giving me better finds then my detecting buddies that all use the Equinox.

I use my at pro for gold and this has been my best year ever!:workforgold:👍👍👍👍

maxxkatt IMO using the preset's on the Equinox is where it's at. People spend toooooo much time changing settings and there lies the problem. Learn the factory settings, what the machine is telling you and run with that.

Steve

Yep, that was one of my bigger mistakes. Many on this forum suggested that. But I thought I knew better and could manage the advanced settings without really understanding them. Thus probably half the time I was using a de-tuned detector.

I don't see how the Equinox could ever be considered hard to use. A person can only change Sensitivity, Recovery, and Iron Bias. You need to mess with Sensitivity depending on the site EMI. Recovery is a pretty basic setting unless you go completely overboard in either direction. Iron Bias is also to me a no brainer on land. Put on F2-0 and learn the machine or keep the factory IB settings and go.

As stetam said the factory settings in each program are super as they are. Not every single person is going to jell with the Equinox, but regardless it's one of the best detectors made.

Edit: The CTX is a fantastic detector. I would not say it's easier to use than the Equinox though. If the CTX was as light as an Equinox I would probably own one. The Legend may end up being as good as the Equinox. The DII may be better in some respects. I am just sticking with the Equinox until Minelab releases their next one.

One of my problems was the urban areas where I detected civil war relics and parks. Both were loaded with pop tops, pull tabs, can slaw, pieces of chain link fences. Had to turn the sensitivity down which precluded deep older coins and kept me in the 4-6" urban trash range. No way around that problem. Where I hunt it was basically a dig all detector. One exception, hunt in 4k mode you could make a lot of the aluminum !!!! invisible and find coins. But since north Atlanta started being surburbanized in 1970 few old coins to be found in parks or anywhere.

CTX is a lot quieter and deeper so now I am finding some silver coins in older no longer used baseball fields.

Maxxkatt your so right on these detectors are all so good just minor advantages in some conditions that are so slight . Lovesthevshiney a month ago i read on another forum a guy tell somebody that his atpro was obsolete and he has to get a multifreq detector ,which motivated me to spend the month on my atpro which i think kills multis on the dry sand portion of the beach because you almost never have to dig a bottle cap or tent stake i can't do that with any multi that ive ever tried.

It's not the metal detector it the one who is using it. Once you learn how to operate,you will very good with that machine. I am in the category of the one behind the metal detector. :)

Still not sure if this is click bait.
But my answer to the title is: I don't chase anything!

I think factory programs are great, but if you never deviate from them #1 you actually don't know your detector, and #2 you are probably not getting the most out of it.

I didn't mess with any settings on the equinox for a good year anyway, aside from occasional sensitivity adjustments. I like to wait 6-12 months after a release to see what a machine is really about. There are many reviews of products on here, and for the most part they are straightforward and honest. If you look hard enough you can even find a few honest, unbiased videos on the tube. In the end, you have to use what works best for you and your hunting style/locations. It may take time to find that out though, and many doll hairs :roll:

I call it my Dream Machine and I've looked for it for many years now. Time has taught me luck favors the prepared, but also the experienced. Staying with one detector for all hunting is the optimal condition in my opinion. Spend all your time becoming one with that single detector is priceless.

I learned a hard lesson in the 90s when I broke from tradition and fell for the "lastest greatest" detector. The lesson I learned was it can be a game-changer. I had used my trusty Tesoros for years ignoring all the new hype until I started to run out of producing sites, and my Tesoro was about worn out. I bought a new Whites Eagle Spectrum that was to change my game forever.

I went first to the city park where my buddies and I had hunted many many times and pulled over 2000 old coins just in one area. I had a virgin 130+ year old city park that had never been touched with a detector below 5".I would go home with a hand full of old silver and copper on every hunt. I was in heaven for 3-4 years. Then reading the detecting MAGS the idea on these new tot lots and gold hit a nerve and I had to try.

BOOM. game changer again. I was now loaded with old coins and relics, and now adding gold to my collective. Something about seeing gold come from the ground seems to strike a long lived gene in us all. I was hooked, but I didn't feel my detector was best for the job. My quest for the best tot lot detector was on. I now had a good paying job, was divorced, what more could one ask for. I started trying all the latest greatest looking for that one detector to do it all.

Bought them all. At one time I had the CTX 3030, Deus I, V3i, E-Trac, AT Pro, and my trusty DFX from the 90s. None were any better than my DFX when it came to gold. Now deep coin was a different story, but I was in gold mode. During the first of the millennium, I pulled so much jewelry people said I rivaled even the best beach hunters in finding rings. I bought a car, a 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition, with the gold I sold.

After about 5 years the gold started to dwindle and I was again looking for the detector that would bring the good times back. Again I found nothing new was any better on hunting tot lots than my 20 year old DFX, but it was a 6 lb brick compared to some of the new tech machines.

I'm trying to retire now and not getting out near as often. I've quit hunting that dream machine because I just can't afford to try them like I used to. I still ook for the one to do it all but have yet to find it. Today I have my E-Trac for the deep coin sites and have moved down to the affordable Simplex+ for all other hunting. Today I hunt for enjoyment only.

Find a detector you mesh with and chase sites to hunt.

Anyone that just uses the factory settings on the Equinox is missing targets. The iron bias adjustment is the key to finding masked targets.

I got my AT Pro in 2016 its the only detect i have still its a great detector I've found so many great things. But now I do want some newer technology with more features. I'm probably going to get a Legend its seems to be just as good as the equinox better in some aspects. It has better build quality and for the price its unbeatable. Deus 2 is out of my price range also it doesn't even have a small coil yet which is needed in the sites i hunt.

I think you should start looking at buying another machine soon and give all your expert opinion on it . Try to help some of save some money. Maybe show some of your historic finds with some of these detectors you have become so intune with. Or maybe just a couple silver coins. I can't thank ya enough for all these various and informative posts ! They were so helpful! Thanks maxy

Back
Top Bottom