🔥 🔥 🔥 Variance between identical models 🔥 🔥 🔥

ManInTheWaLL

Banned
Like I would tell you, so you can find the 500 mil
Has anyone ever tested 4 or 5 identical models, to see if there is much of a variance in their abilities?

Some of these companies could have terrible quality control for all we know. Maybe one week they buy a component from one supplier, and the next week from a different company. Or maybe even the supplier of the parts has poor quality control.

I mean, how would you even know if your detector performs a lot less than someone else's identical model.

I've heard there can be a lot of variance in the coils among the same model.

Has anyone ever tested 4 or 5 identical models, to see if there is much of a variance in their abilities?

Some of these companies could have terrible quality control for all we know. Maybe one week they buy a component from one supplier, and the next week from a different company. Or maybe even the supplier of the parts has poor quality control.

I mean, how would you even know if your detector performs a lot less than someone else's identical model.

That would require a lot of time. When I go detecting, I don't want to spend a lot of time comparing detectors.

I've owned and used 5 different Equinox 600 and 800s and 3 different original Deus detectors. The Nox tested the same using similar settings. So did the original Deus detectors.

I have owned some First Texas and Whites duplicate models and there was some difference in performance/sensitivity. I had 2 different Fisher F19s that did not have the same level of sensitivity. I also had two different Whites (now Garrett) Goldmaster 24ks. The Whites coils were no where near as sensitive and stable as the more recent Garrett version of the same detector.

I've owned and used 5 different Equinox 600 and 800s and 3 different original Deus detectors. The Nox tested the same using similar settings. So did the original Deus detectors.

I have owned some First Texas and Whites duplicate models and there was some difference in performance/sensitivity. I had 2 different Fisher F19s that did not have the same level of sensitivity. I also had two different Whites (now Garrett) Goldmaster 24ks. The Whites coils were no where near as sensitive and stable as the more recent Garrett version of the same detector.

Did you purchase the equinox 600's and 800's and Deus's at the same time? Wondering if they were from the same production run

YES>Pod+Coil.......Equals differences in every set-up. Although most differences would be subtle.

Example: Out of the two Equinox 800's I owned one handled EMI better without a doubt.

Of course I haven't. Why would I? Have you had a problem, or are you just thinking up hypotheticals for some reason? If you haven't had such a problem, why would you ask this?

Of course I haven't. Why would I? Have you had a problem, or are you just thinking up hypotheticals for some reason? If you haven't had such a problem, why would you ask this?

Maninthewall is asking about "tolerance stack analysis" but he did not use that technical term. Most often this question is asked in another way:

"Have you ever had what is known as a "hot" detector? In other words a detector, coil, cable, speaker/headphone combination that performed better than any other of the same model due to all the components falling by chance to the high side of the quality window."

Last edited:
Actually he seems to be asking the exact opposite of that question.

True. The tolerance stack can be a benefit or detriment.
He is asking if all the components just happen to fall on the low side of the performance envelope (that the manufacturer has determined acceptable), can the detectorist actually notice a lack of performance compared to others of the same model detector or is the acceptable performance envelope so narrow that no detectorist can notice the difference in any of the detectors of the same, exact model?

True. The tolerance stack can be a benefit or detriment.
He is asking if all the components just happen to fall on the low side of the performance envelope (that the manufacturer has determined acceptable), can the detectorist actually notice a lack of performance compared to others of the same model detector or is the acceptable performance envelope so narrow that no detectorist can notice the difference in any of the detectors of the same, exact model?

Agreed. Seems to me with detectors that with the relatively small amount of electronic components, that the main contributor to variances would be the coil, as it is as much controlled by the mechanics of constructing it as the variations in design of the coil. In buying a detector, I would be as much or more concerned about the available coils. JMO

He WAS asking. I believe he is no longer with us. I don't think he'll be answering anytime soon.

You are correct. I actually feel bad for the guy. Can you imagine what his real life is like. I can't say that I'm sad that he's gone. He'll show up on some other forum and try to drag it down just like he did here.

You are correct. I actually feel bad for the guy. Can you imagine what his real life is like. I can't say that I'm sad that he's gone. He'll show up on some other forum and try to drag it down just like he did here.

Sounds like this isn't the first place it's happened. Normally I would say I hope he gets the help he needs but in my experience his actions here were more choice based than anything else. He tried to walk the tight rope here from the beginning. I guess he leaned a little too much to the left.:lol:

Sounds like this isn't the first place it's happened. Normally I would say I hope he gets the help he needs but in my experience his actions here were more choice based than anything else. He tried to walk the tight rope here from the beginning. I guess he leaned a little too much to the left.:lol:

If you would like to contact him... go to his Twitter account... just add a 3 to the end of his name...

He was banned from Find Mall don't know why... He was posting at Treasure Net but was having a lot of his threads removed so he is inactive there...

Maybe now that guy will have the time to actually swing a detector so he can factually back up whatever he is saying. Instead of his fantasies of being "schooled" by creepy grandpas.

He WAS asking. I believe he is no longer with us. I don't think he'll be answering anytime soon.

Even though op is gone, I kept responding because it is an interesting topic.
In all of our previous competition type hobbies, there were participants who would buy like ten or more of some piece of equipment. Test those ten. Keep the best performing one to get what they perceived as an equipment advantage and resell the other nine. All of that effort was to take advantage of tolerance stack in competitions with tight rules. One thing we love about detecting is the only real rule is to leave no trace of digging.

If you would like to contact him... go to his Twitter account... just add a 3 to the end of his name...

He was banned from Find Mall don't know why... He was posting at Treasure Net but was having a lot of his threads removed so he is inactive there...

I have no intention of contacting him. Just glad to see he's a problem someplace else. It's already calmer in here.

Besides I don't have twitter or any of the rest of it. This is it for me and the net. I barely have time to get on here most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom