Genealogy

I have done some and find it very interesting. Tracing on my fathers side goes back to two presidents. John Adams and John Q Adams. Then when I started tracing on my mothers side(Kincheloe) I found I was directly related to Americas "first spaceman."

I do. My mom's side is fairly easy, as the family stayed together, but on my dad's side, he never met his father while he was old enough to remember, and his parents separated before he was born, and his father went wandering, leaving a trail of IOUs and bad checks. I don't know all the jails he was in (Washington Co., PA was one of them, and my dad thought maybe in Baltimore, MD also), and he eventually died while riding a bus in Columbus, OH. He was spared a pauper's grave by being friends with the owner of a funeral home, who did the services free. Anyway, I'm having a tough time getting any information. I do have a membership on ancestry.com, and that at least gives me copies of census documents to look through.

I hope you are having better luck than me.

-- Tom

Me, too. Haven't found any famous ancestors yet (back to 1700's) and don't expect to, since both sides of the family were working class and/or farmers.

I haven't really found any famous ancestors either, but, Jack Daniel is my 1st cousin umteen times removed! LOL

Tom, I can sympathize with your situation, my greatgrandfather on my mother's side killed himself in Delaware Co. PA. When I was growing up, no one would even mention his name, or what he did. So, I knew nothing about him but his last name and where he lived.

It took a long time, but, I finally found out that he was accused of murder, and hung himself in the Delaware Co. Jail in 1900 before his trial, and left a note professing his innocence, saying he was killing himself because he couldn't face the humiliation of a trial. I tracked down most of the newspaper accounts and depending on which one you read you think he's guilty one minute and innocent the next. His brother was arrested too, and later acquitted. So, who knows.

Char

Years back I used to do a lot of research, and found and catalogued over 6,000 relatives near and far. I enjoyed it because it's a bit like metal detecting -- you're always finding stuff, some of it's gold, some of it's pulltabs, but you just want to keep digging because you never know what info you'll find.

I couldn't find anybody particularly well-known. But I did find this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haring_Harinxma

He was my 16G Grandfather.

My uncle has spent 30 some odd years doing research, he goes off on some pretty strange sidelines, but for the most part we are of three major groups of celts and have some English Royalty lines. Not to mention one notable Confederate General. We were here pre mayflower as prision guards for N.Y. Penal colony.

On my mom's side we are Welsh and American Indian.

Not a bad combination the way I see it/

I don't but there are several family members that do. I was given a copy of the family tree as it stood some several years ago and I guess it's kind of interesting but doesn't do anything for me or the family. Any aristocracy links were back in Europe generations ago. I doubt very seriously that there's a castle out there awaiting my claim and occupancy and, if there were, I can only imagine what the back taxes and heating bill in the winter would be. :lol:

I have worked on my family history some. My wife is huge into it. On my mother's side, it is fairly easy to go back, as my uncle worked on it for years before his death. My father's side is a bit harder. His dad is well documented to the late 1590's but his mother was adopted at birth. All we know is her mother was from the Kansas City area and her father was a travelling salesman from Washington state.

I find it very interesting though.

Doug

I've traced my lineage on my father's side back to the 17th century in france.. my current last name comes from the fact that my ancestor (he was the indian interpretor for champlain *ie: the explorer with a lake named after him*) was late getting onto the boat to the new world so they called him tardy... hence my name tardif (pronounced TardEEf) lol kinda funny the way names come about
like many of the immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century:
last names like Dyer, Smith, Shoemaker, etc.. named after their trade when they got here..

Ironic story: My wife went to france on vacation before we were together with her mom, they stayed in this tiny port town (Hons Fleur) on the normandy coast, which is the little town my ancestor was from.. we are planning a trip to go up the normandy coast next spring, I definitely want to check out the battlefields and who knows maybe run into some relatives lol

Back
Top Bottom