Swing and a miss?

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
Not sure if this should be posted under the discussion or everything else forum. It does have some related (West Virginia) MD consequences :p

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x1431851805/Senator-seeking-meeting-on-swings.

===========
HUNTINGTON -- A state lawmaker is asking Cabell County Schools Superintendent William Smith to suspend the removal of swing sets from all elementary school playgrounds until he can bring involved parties to the table.

Swings are scheduled to be removed from the 17 schools that have them by late December because of recent lawsuits and costs associated with meeting national standards for playground safety.
============

And surprise, surprise:
==========
Two lawsuits were filed against the Cabell County Board of Education in December 2009 over playground injuries at Spring Hill Elementary. Both lawsuits were filed by the same parent, Joseph Johnson, but involved different children.
=========

Thanks Oz. I live here. Whole damm thing is a joke. Back in my days, part of passage as a youth was almost breaking your neck on some playground equipment. Now, lawyers lign up.............

Interesting...

"The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission sets playground safety guidelines. The current guidelines for swings require a protective layer of sand, pea gravel, wood mulch, wood chips or recycled rubber that equals twice the height of the swing in each direction. That means if a swing is 7 feet long, a layer of ground material is required 14 feet in front and 14 feet in the back. The safety standards also call for a depth of at least 9 inches."

Glad I have a Vaquero.

So let me get this straight...
This parent let their kid on the swings. And the kid ends up so injured that they feel the need to sue the school board over the injuries. Okay, I'm with you.

And then the same parent lets their other kid go play on the swingset? And that kid ends up just as injured? Hmmmm, iiinteresting.

So let me get this straight...
This parent let their kid on the swings. And the kid ends up so injured that they feel the need to sue the school board over the injuries. Okay, I'm with you.

And then the same parent lets their other kid go play on the swingset? And that kid ends up just as injured? Hmmmm, interesting.
Actually the other one was injured on the monkey bars, which are staying in place LOL.

Odd thing happened to my 5 year old daughter at a playground last year. She's kind of reckless in general and is constantly pushing the envelope of what's safe on playground equipment. We've understood this and figured we'll just have to accept the consequences of her someday flying off something and getting badly hurt.

So after years of dangerous actions and her bouncing back up saying, "I'm okay!", she one day is running around and trips on the plastic edging that holds back the mulch, falls in the mulch and BREAKS HER ARM! The irony...

I'm sure some parents would have tried to sue the school for that dangerous edging and mulch.

I think we should just put all of children in bubbles and hire full time nannies to watch them 24/7.

Dang you mean i could have been rich when my son (who is now 26yrs old) fell off the monkey bars at school when he was in 4th grade and broke his arm just above the elbow...:lol::lol::lol:

when I was a kid and played .you took the beating and walked away .......you fall and get back up again ...leason learned.....its seems let's not learn the leason...just make sure you spell everything correctly....lol.....I'm rogue....

A buddy and me were twisting swings one day after school. The local paper came by and snapped a picture of us... Next day, we got detention!!! Doh!

I am gonna sue you Rick for defammation..............They pulled the ban by the way. Kids can swing again........................
Wonder if the mental midget dad who sued twice will still let his kids use the swings and monkey bars. Of course if something happens he can always sue, sue and sue again :mad:

Back
Top Bottom