• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Military Vets.

NHdave

Hey guys, anyone from the current conflict or ones past?
I spent 2006 in Iraq (11b dismount team leader, 4th ID)
guys want to have a discussion about funny army stories, etc..
I would prefer we leave the bad stuff out as I'm sure like any of you who have been through it.

i'll start..

out in Tarmiyah we had just setup an op, and were just sitting around pulling security when this puppy comes jaunting right down the middle of the serpentine of razor wire... (anyone who has been to iraq knows the fate of dogs... as they are like a line of lookouts giving away our position on night patrols/raids) so we watched it for a while, and it just came right in and layed down over in the corner of our area away from everyone. after a while curiousity got the best of me and i opened up some pound cake out of an mre to see if i could get him over to me, he wouldn't come so i just left it on the ground. he waited till i went away and came and ate it. and so it went for a few days. well we were getting ready to go on patrol around the city and the dog gets up, jogs out past out squad and starts running point for us down the middle of the road. other dogs came barking from the ditches and he would just bolt down and attack them and then fall back in as if it was his job, we were stunned! we'd get back from patrol and he would go back to his corner and chill until the next patrol. even after a weeks of this he never wanted affection, wouldn't let anyone pet him etc.. but went on every patrol... we named him 3 bites because whenever gave him food he would eat it in 3 bites or less. Sadly he ended up getting shot during a firefight when we were out, but he became out mascot, and my wife (artist) took a picture of him I sent home and made a stencil of him that we spraypainted on our turrett shield of the humvees (ironically our platoon nickname was "Dog Pound" haha.
3bites.png

Great story. Bummer about the pup. We don't give animals enough credit for their intellegance and loyalties. I can't think of a story as good as this right now but maybe something will come to me later. Thanks for serving brother. WOLF

Sounds like an intelligent dog. He may have felt as if he was the alpha male of the pack , not overly friendly but he had a job to do as leader and he was doing his best. Sad to hear that he was shot , you are all heroes and so is he in my book.

Iraq Vet, was in country for 19 months between 2003-04 all one trip. And yeah, I got lots od dog stories, none end well ...

war stories

I was seabee in the pre korea days. Thank you for your service. lonesomebob

Sad to hear about the pup.. I was in Afghanistan from Dec 08 to April 09 then I was at Qatar on a joke of a deployment from May 2009 to Sept 2009 and I am headed back to Afghanistan in a couple months. When I was in Qatar we had to take a bus everywhere we went and ther was a Jackle that would hang out in the drainage ditch every night I allways fed him beef jerky, he seemed to like it lol

Back
Top Bottom