Father's advice

Old Town

moved on...
I worked for a Swedish boat builder up the road near Stock Island from age 20 to 31. Laakso Melanson would make any kind of craft you wanted. Power cruiser or sail. He worked in wood mostly, and could build up to 65 feet. This was the limit of his shop building and his cradle system. It was also the financial limit of 99 percent of his clients.

In all those years I used to watch Laakso fight, argue, get abused, patronize, sweet talk and generally sell his soul to customers regarding the particulars of their boat to be built. Celebrities were the worse to deal with. But ordinary customers would constantly want things changed on their boat just after Laakso's crew had built them to original plans. Whole interiors of custom paneling and cabinets ripped out because the client's wife did not like the color or how the hatches opened to the wrong side to suit her. Stuff like that.

Laakso would lose weeks of build time and many dollars to cater to these people. I would always tell my dad of the latest pain in the bum client. He was a sailing instructor and knew the type. He always found my stories amusing. I watched what went on at Melanson's with a wary eye for years and come the time I decided to go out on my own, asked my dad what he thought of the whole boat building industry. I really don't know why I asked him. I would have started my own business anyway but felt he might have something to offer in the way of advice. As usual, he did.

The best advice I ever received was my father's recommendation I build every boat I was to sell on pure speculation. No customer in mind. No person waiting on a phone to tell you of their latest idea that would cost you a dollar or a day. Make a boat like you would wish to own and make it to the best of your ability. When it's done, post an add in the various sailing or yachting journals and then sell the beast as it is. If the craft is quality there will be no problems moving it. If it's crap you will not sell it and can get on with some other occupation.

This I did. And for the last 22 years I've built 11 wooden sailboats of 38 feet waterline, 42 foot deck. I only build one hull design. A shape I feel is the ideal bluewater, heavy weather cruiser. It's a ketch-rigged, double-ended canoe hull that will get you home in one piece if you make any effort at all to point it in the proper direction. She'll sleep 6 good friends or 4 pilgrims. It takes me 18 months to complete a boat. I work in wood and make everything but the marine diesel, electronics, the sails and some of the rigging like power winches. I use carbon fiber in the masts but it's hidden inside a wooden shell. You do not see it. Clear glass protects the hull. I do a lot of wood carving of dolphins and flowers or other natural shapes on the different surfaces and lines of the sailboat. Half my time is actually spent in art work. To the unknowing eye it looks like a yacht from a Rhode Island builder of 1900. This is my aim.

I start a boat on December 1 of the building cycle. First I make the lead keel and all the brass lost wax fixtures I hand carve to whatever nautical theme moves me at the time. I use animal and bird shapes on deck for cleats and line anchors. All the hardware that shows is brass I've shaped into a running theme for each boat. This work is done in the cool of winter down here in my little foundry. Then in April I start in on the hull. By May, 18 months after starting a hull, I'm done and sell her off. For the next 6 months I goof off in a sort of early retirement taken in segments. I start up again December 1. I'm in such a rest cycle right now. Otherwise I'd never have the time to write this crap.

I work alone but for some kids on occasion when I have to have a second set of hands like when rotating a 42 foot hull that was first built inverted.

My shop is isolated. My dogs have the run. My cat likes to run, for the dogs like for the cat to run. They all have the run of the shop. Except for a few naval officers from the local base, nobody comes by. This is heaven on earth.

I have no problem selling my boats. I've even got a waiting list after having been at this for a while. And I've only got one rule: If you contact me to ask how the boat is doing or even breathe a suggestion, you go to the bottom of the list. Dad was correct, if you make a product of unusual nature, there is always a waiting customer base. No need involving them until the light bills are due.

Old Town

Great story

Sounds like you are living the dream.

Would be great to see some pictures of the boats you build.

Very nice story Old Town. Always great for someone to share their life. Thank you for sharing. It also would be nice to see pictures. :grin:

If I am cyphering this right, you build one boat a year and have a waiting list? Hope they are young and patient!

No, I produce one boat in a 2 year period. Takes me 18 months to complete one, I then take 6 months off.

As for waiting lists, I've had people on the list for as long as 8 years. This is not uncommon in the luxury watercraft industry.

OT

Utah, only recently have I purchased a digital camera. All of my photos of past history are conventional film. I don't have anything on my computer but for this single image of the 3rd hull I built about 17 years ago and sold to a man who lives on the Chesapeake and brings his boat down here on occasion. He's down here now and has been all summer.

I took this image this morning just for you. (bullbunk, LOL) Actually it was this morning but it's for anyone who would like to see my basic hull shape. The man who bought this boat ended up having it refitted as a sloop and did a complete redesign of the cabin. He also had all the natural wood surfaces painted or glassed over in white. Looking at it now makes me want to vomit. Just goes to show the client will always change something. Doing things my way resulting in his footing the entire bill. Good for him.

I've never understood why he purchased an art boat in the first place only to turn it into a crappy sloop with a rubber boat hanging off the stern. This offends me in every way possible. Not only did he bugger a good design, he littered the lines with a rubber boat. The whole craft looks like a yard sale or a plane crash. I'm a stickler for neatness and a clean deck and this thing is not neat at all.

At least you can see what I mean by a double-ended canoe hull. Stern and bow are very similar. This shape takes a following sea better than any other. Waves from behind are what sink 99% of all ocean-going small craft. Rogues get the other 1% and there is no defending a 60 foot wall of water out of nowhere. So one should not worry about it.

I plan to photograph my next hull in digital start to finish this winter. If we are all still alive I'll post the progress. You can get an apprentice class in wooden boat construction online and in the comfort of your home.

My own sailboat is not what I currently build. It's not a canoe hull but a more conventional Herreshoff shape with a wineglass transom. Pretty, but tender in the deep stuff. Herreshoff built racing hulls that have killed many sailors would did not know what they were about. Some day when I've more time I'd like to build another boat for myself in the canoe style.

Old Town

Attachments

• key west 068.jpg
    key west 068.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 140
Thank you. I got a picture! :run1: When you can be nice to other pictures as well. You know this forum is addicted to pictures like some sort of bad drug. :lol:

It is also great you have a Profession you can enjoy that is your desire and dream being fufilled.

That's the second interesting story you've posted here (unless I missed others), both of which I enjoyed a great deal. Thanks for sharing a bit of your remarkable life as well as the picture. I'm envious. :)

will be happy to see pics of the next boat so we can see what the boat would really look like before someone doesn't anything to it.

PS: good thing about a long waiting list people have time to save money to buy the boat.

Well you sure are living the dream all right. Thx for the pics and your life story. steve in so az

Awesome story, and a great idea to stick with! So cool you go with what you want and are in to at the time, sounds like you watch EVERY detail and that's what REAL quality is all about! Amazing work!

Great story Old Town... and a venerable profession. I would love to see (in real life) one of your finished crafts... before anyone messed with it. True craftsmen 'autograph' their work in style and workmanship. RickO

Back
Top Bottom