Keep flies away

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
My Mother was telling me about this I can't remember if she read it or heard about it on tv. Some people claim that you can put plain water in a zip lock bag with a penny or pennies in the bag of water & it will keep flies away. I haven't tried it and have my doubts that it works but who knows. Anyone ever hear of this before?

Many people around this area do it and they swear it works. Around here, they just put water, no pennies. They will hang the bag on a nail by the door to keep flies out of the house.

How does that work? Do the flies drown in the water? I've heard of putting honey in the water to attract the flies, but just plain water? HMMM.

I have heard that it works by changing the light waves, so when the flies looks at the bag the light travels through the bag and it is distorted in someway that it causes the fly to become confused/or scared and avoids the area, thats why you see those things hanging close to a window or door way or under a light source.

I have heard of this... actually, it is all over the internet. So far, I have only seen positive responses. Have not tried it myself. RickO

stickyflytrap.jpg

this works, but tends to look rather disgusting after a while. Luckily we don't get to many flies in our house, perhaps a stray one every month or so.

I will try that, Living on a farm we tend to get files, summers are spent with cans of raid and fly swatters.

There is an Asian restaurant in my town that has several glass crystal mobiles hanging near the entry doors. You have to duck your head not to hit them.

A waitress told me they helped keep flies out. She mentioned the refracted light disturbing the insects. So maybe the water bag/light theory is not so uncommon.

Frankly I do not think it would make a difference because I'm around the shiny sparkling water all day long at the basin and the flies are not troubled at all down there. Light so bright and distracting you have to wear good sunglasses or go blind. The flies are not bothered at all.

Interesting urban myth I think.

OT

Every once in awhile, I've had fruit flies - the tiny ones, buzzing around when a piece of fruit became over-ripe in the kitchen. So you toss out the fruit, and the irritating little fruit flies hang around forever, near the sink, on bright colored objects, only to rise in a swarm when you go near their "roost" for lack of a better term.

I found a cheap, simple way to get rid of them, and it really does work, I've tried it.

Take an old spagetti sauce, or pickle jar, preferably with a brightly colored lid. (mine is bright yellow) ..... Clean it well. Then use a nail, punch, screw, or whatever is handy to punch several holes in the lid just a little larger than a fruit fly.

Put a few inches of apple cider vinegar in the bottle. (and it must be apple cider vinegar, not white, etc.....) Screw the lid on. Place it near wherever the little pests are congregating. That's it. The little pests are attracted by the smell of the vinegar (they think rotting apples, I suppose?) go thru the little holes into the jar after the smell, get dizzy from the fumes, fall into the vinegar and drown.

Simple, cheap, no chemicals, and it works. Hope the pic of the little buggers in the jar isn't too offensive or gross, just showing that it does work.

Attachments

• deathtofruitflies 001.jpg
    deathtofruitflies 001.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 323
Every once in awhile, I've had fruit flies - the tiny ones, buzzing around when a piece of fruit became over-ripe in the kitchen. So you toss out the fruit, and the irritating little fruit flies hang around forever, near the sink, on bright colored objects, only to rise in a swarm when you go near their "roost" for lack of a better term.

I found a cheap, simple way to get rid of them, and it really does work, I've tried it.

Take an old spagetti sauce, or pickle jar, preferably with a brightly colored lid. (mine is bright yellow) ..... Clean it well. Then use a nail, punch, screw, or whatever is handy to punch several holes in the lid just a little larger than a fruit fly.

Put a few inches of apple cider vinegar in the bottle. (and it must be apple cider vinegar, not white, etc.....) Screw the lid on. Place it near wherever the little pests are congregating. That's it. The little pests are attracted by the smell of the vinegar (they think rotting apples, I suppose?) go thru the little holes into the jar after the smell, get dizzy from the fumes, fall into the vinegar and drown.

Simple, cheap, no chemicals, and it works. Hope the pic of the little buggers in the jar isn't too offensive or gross, just showing that it does work.

:lol:
Good thing I was not eating when I saw this!
smiley-sick009.gif

Especially not spagetti w/ ragu sauce........
the mega macro pic of the flies floating in the vinegar hereby removed.:yes: Sorry!

Wait! I tune in for the express purpose of being offended. Besides it was a good photo with great detail. Almost art. Bring back the bugs.

OT

Wait! I tune in for the express purpose of being offended. Besides it was a good photo with great detail. Almost art. Bring back the bugs.

OT
Ok, then......... those of you who don't care to see dead or near dead tiny fruit flies in macro close up, swimming or floating in a jar or vinegar, please avert your eyes, do not scroll down, don't look, hit the back button on your browser, etc. etc.
Because

there

is

a

pic

of

the

results

of

a

apple cider

vinegar

trap

below!

Last chance!

To

Not

Look..................

BTW, this is after about 24 hours. Simply dump down drain, toilet, outside, then put another inch or two of apple cider vinegar in the bottle...... for any stragglers........:D

Attachments

• deathtofruitflies 002.jpg
    deathtofruitflies 002.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 285
Ok, then......... those of you who don't care to see dead or near dead tiny fruit flies in macro close up, swimming or floating in a jar or vinegar, please avert your eyes, do not scroll down, don't look, hit the back button on your browser, etc. etc.
Because

there

is

a

pic

of

the

results

of

a

apple cider

vinegar

trap

below!

Last chance!

To

Not

Look..................

BTW, this is after about 24 hours. Simply dump down drain, toilet, outside, then put another inch or two of apple cider vinegar in the bottle...... for any stragglers........:D
Looks like a good drink to me digdug1968, you get your liquid and meat all at the same time, might have to pick a few wings out of your teeth though, this is what ya call real "bug juice" :lol:.

Attachments

• deathtofruitflies 002.jpg
    deathtofruitflies 002.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 249
Back
Top Bottom