I need to vent... (edited language)

J

JohnnyG

Ok, I have 2 reasons to be angry.... the first is that I am trying to quit smoking, the second... well I will explain.
I hate "Corporate" America! There is this property not far from where I work. It's an old farm house with lots of clear, open land. The house itself is at least 100 years old but in very good shape. So good in fact that, up until 3 years ago, someone was still living there. They have since passed on so.... in swoops a "Giant" company to buy up the land, demolish it, and build a new gas station. Pay no attention to the small, local owned gas station across the street.... they will soon be out of business! Anyway.... I tracked down the owner of the property to try and gain permission to hunt there before they destroy it with their monsters of industry. By the way, the company who owns this property is about 180 Miles away!!!!! Literally!
After going around in circles with phone calls... one of their "representatives" calls me back and says: "I spoke with our real estate supervisor and he said ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! For insurance reasons."
Of course.....
What kind of sick society do we live in where everyone is so afraid of getting sued that they wont even let you WALK THROUGH THEIR D*MN YARD! They think I might fall, break an ankle and then sue them.
You know, the American dream USED to be: Come on over, find a job, work hard to buy a house and raise a family. NOW, the American dream is to hopefully slip on an icey sidewalk and sue someone so you can sit on your lazy *ss for the rest of your sick life.
So to wrap things up.... The price we pay for the society that we live in is loss of HISTORY to make way for progress..... (and by progress of course I mean greeed, monopoly, power, money, consolidation.....)
whatever
I'm p*ssed! Even the local Twp Supervisor said he didn't see a problem with me detecting there, but because I am an honest guy, I decided to call the real owner anyway. Alot of good that got me.

Umm, well, maybe you need one of those nicotine patches? Just saying....

I wouldn't be mad at the company that is trying to protect their back-end, but the people who made companies have to take these precautions.

Quitting smoking? Tried that once, it lasted 3 years. Started back and smoke twice as much except for when i'm md'ing. I can md for 2 1/2 hours (record so far ;) ) without any major malfunctions. I do think mding will help though.

When you ask permission you have to be prepared for the no answer. Glad to see that you went through the proper channels though. I had a friend that wanted to know how big a deal trespassing was. I said aside from a possible $2,000 fine, a night in jail and what very well may turn out to be a citizens A$$ whipping, it's not the right thing to do. He agreed and we dropped the subject.

Lets face it When md'ing is done right it brings alot more satisfaction. Not only do you find good stuff but you do it right.

BTW, I'm with ya on corporate America :o(

Besides, when someone says no, just look at it from a positive side. The moles will do more damage to their land then we ever will. I know it sounds evil but it gives me the energy to move on. :lol:

JohnnyG said:
What kind of sick society do we live in where everyone is so afraid of getting sued that they wont even let you WALK THROUGH THEIR D*MN YARD! They think I might fall, break an ankle and then sue them.
You jus said it, Johnny. The reason they won't let you in is 'cause they think that you might be one of the scum that does just that... get themselves "hurt" so they can sue the *ss off you an' live the life of Riley for their "duration".
It's very sad, but that's the 21st century. The little guy is now an' forever... screwed. :o(
All we have to hold us above water is our own feeble reputation... and no thanks to MDers that don't care, that's even falling apart.

Blessing in disguise!

Well, first off... I am on the patch... and the pills... man this sucks. But MDing certainly helps to get my mind off of it.

Anyway.... I've got another great story that actually has a (or may have) a happy ending.
Last weekend I was researching the area that we just moved to and there is an old (1880's) cemetary on my road. I drove in to check it out (no, I wasn't detecting there). I was using the cemetary as a referance on my old map and just checking out some of the graves.
Long story short: I got my car completely stuck in the mud, it slid off the road and down the hillside.
I had to get towed out and the guy who towed me knows the owner of the cemetary. After paying him $50 for towing me out, he gave me the cemetary owner's number so I could let him know that I would repair the rutts in the hillside. I called the guy and left a message.
Here it is, 4 days later and he finally calls me back, saying that it's no big deal, just throw some dirt and grass seed down and be done with it.
But the best part is.... He just happens to be the TWP SUPERVISOR!!!!
He was such a nice guy, he said that if I ever need to find out who owns a piece of property to get permission, that I could call him. He knows all sorts of history about this place. His family has been here since the 1820's.
Is that cool or what????

Couldn'ta hit it better, JG.
Lucky man (ya probably have white horses too, huh? Never mind. I jus' goof off sometimes. ELP! :lol:)...!
You are in like Flynn...!

Johnny G, I quit smoking a little over a year ago - Cold Turkey. My incentive was, and still is that what I used to spend in smokes now buys me "toys" like my Explorer II and soon an Excaliber. My wife still smokes, and to be honest, I've bummed a couple over the past 13 months, but I know if I buy a pack------I'm dead meat, and I refuse to pay any more taxes. Keep up the effort. BTW, the wife can't say a thing about the toys!!!!

Krom said:
Couldn'ta hit it better, JG.
Lucky man (ya probably have white horses too, huh? Never mind. I jus' goof off sometimes. ELP! :lol:)...!
You are in like Flynn...!

Krom: what does it mean to have white horses??? :?:

WTH....
I definitely hear you about the toys! My wife actually encourages me to use the money that I would've spent on smoking for toys. That way I reward myself for sticking to it.

Sorry Johnny... jus' playin'. :lol: It's the first line in the song "Lucky Man" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP).
("He had white horses, and ladies by the score.
All dressed in satin, and waiting by the door.
Ooooo, what a lucky man he was!") ;)
BTW... I went to see my favorite group, Boston, perform at the Civic Center in Portland (Maine) last summer. Thier lastest album is entitled, "Corporate America" (and what you said, is exactly what they sing about...! The best way to "reach" people is through song. ;))...!

Krom said:
The best way to "reach" people is through song. ;))...!

I can relate. I play guitar. Was in a band for a while and played some shows but the traveling got to be too much and as I got older I just didn't see a point to it.

(I am not gonna tell you the band because it is crazy heavy and sick.... you guys would just laugh)

I do have a little side project of my own... all digital drums and stuuf but I play all the guitar over that.... you can hear some at www.freewebs.com/nepenthia

It's not all that laughable, Johnny. I listen to heavy on the way to work every morning (WTOS out of Portland, Maine). The guys that do the morning show, "Tom-O" and "Mr. Mike" (met 'em. A couple cool guys!), are the best radio team I've ever experienced.
I've also been in a bunch of groups through my life, myself. Won the "Vox band battle for Stardom" back in the mid-sixties. Started with guitars, but in the last few groups I was in, I was the percussionist.
Here's a couple pics:

I'm editing this post to add to it;
Man... I went to your site to give a listen. All I listened to was just the first cut in the list "Stalemate"... well, so far, but I'll be re-visiting to hear all of the cuts... but it's AWESOME, man! I was exceptionally impressed with it! I can see that cut being used for the background of a Japanese animé. I'd be on the horn if I were you! Just what I heard in that ONE CUT really rocks! You da "music man"...!
(an' I usta pride myself in that title... but you jus' took it away from me!) ;)
I think you have the potential to make some good, honest, easy $$$ here.
Like we, in the MD hobby say... "do some homework (phone calls)!"

(BTW... Sorry. Didn't mean to change the subject. :D)

Attachments

• drums2_121.jpg
    drums2_121.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 245
  • framedjoedrums_107.jpg
    framedjoedrums_107.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 240
I learned to play guitar ay 14, now i'm 40 and play like i'm 14 1/2 :lol: Oh well at least i can ammuse myself :yes:

The think that the easy answer to a permission request is the "liability" co-out. It is way easier for the person you contact to say no.

That said, in most cases, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission. If the site is vacant, and no signage is present indicating "no trespassing" then go for it. Most of the time, noone is around to notice you there and if you don't leave any signs you were there, they'll never know. If someone tells you to leave, apologize, ask for permission on the spot, offer to split the proceeds if you need to, and leave if you must. GOOD LUCK!

There is only one problem with the ask forgiveness theory in my area. The problem is........I LOVE guns......Don't love guns being pointed at me. When I have to start taking my M1Garand with me to metal detect, then i'm going to be to preoccupied to get a good hunt in :(

Nice machine, YardByrd. The M-1 can really... "deliver".
(Jus' don't forget to cover your tracks, man! :D)
Ummm... HH...! ;)

Johnny... speakin' of "tracks" (cuts)... so far, all of them "ditties" you've created (and shared with us, on your site), has impressed me very much. I don't know why you're still talkin' to us peons, BTW. You have a talent the surpasses all "talented" wanna-be's.
Like I suggested before... get on the horn, man. You have the potential to "fly high"...! (Great family vid, BTW...! :D)

darga said:
The think that the easy answer to a permission request is the "liability" co-out. It is way easier for the person you contact to say no.

That said, in most cases, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission. If the site is vacant, and no signage is present indicating "no trespassing" then go for it. Most of the time, noone is around to notice you there and if you don't leave any signs you were there, they'll never know. If someone tells you to leave, apologize, ask for permission on the spot, offer to split the proceeds if you need to, and leave if you must. GOOD LUCK!

darga, I have actually taken this approach many times and it always worked for me. I actually had someone catch me at a drive-in theater and they weren't mean about it, but they did ask me to leave.
This was actually my preferred method because of all the reasons that you mentioned.... but like Yardbyrd said, I always felt like I had to look over my shoulder, making sure I wasn't gonna get shot at, arrested or whatever. It took away from the enjoyment of the hunt. So I have been trying to follow the strict policy of always asking first. So far, it hasn't worked out. :(

KROM-
It seems that it is actually more my fault that the subject has been changed. Oh well, no harm in carrying out 2 conversations at once, right??? :D

Thanks for all the kind words! I'm glad you enjoy the music. I've been playing since I was about 16... I am now 29. I actualy should be much better than I am. What you hear in some of those songs is the absolute best I could do at the time after hours and hours of re-recording the same guitar track.... over and over and over.
I just like to jam for fun and sometimes, as you heard, I end up coming up with complete songs. I have a few more that I haven't been able to finish because of crappy sounding recordings. Obviously that website hasn't been updated in a while.
The last song on the site, "Sleepwalk", I'm sure you know from Santo & Johnny. I've always loved that song so I learned it and recorded to be played at my wedding.... which it was. It was great, the first song that my wife and I danced to. Pretty cool... 8)

Back
Top Bottom