• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What a dime means to you

When I was growing up caught the tail end of such a experience. There was very few places that was selling penny candy. The 7-11 stores here years ago used to have Penny Candy. Also when growing up Marbles was still a popular game in school. Now such Traditions are a thing of the past..... I am Thankful I was able to experience the last part before it faded away.

Now days in this City I live in ... You are lucky to even find candy under .50 cents.

Utah, 40 years from how you'll be the old codger on the forum telling of candy bars under a dollar. People will not believe you. The current day is always the good ole days of the future.

OT

A little different for me as I was raised in Germany but the corner grocer's had bags of Gummi Bears which went for 10pf or about 2 cents US at the time. I was lucky my teeth didn't rot out of my head! On Saturday was the market and 10 cents US would buy you either a bratwurst on bun or a spumoni ice cream cream from the street vendors! Mighty fine!

Shows about what the value of a buck is these days, eh?

I was born in the late 60s, not much penny stuff that I can remember but I do remember looking with envy in an uncles shed. It was full of bottles. I remember when the plastic bottles started, walking out of the corner store with a plastic Coke and complaining to a guy walking in about the taste change then dropping the bottle lol. He just chuckled as he went in. I still believe any drink tastes better from glass.

Great post, I was born in 1960 and lived out in the middle of nowhere. We didn't have any stores close by but I remember going to the grocery store with my Mother and there was a candy setup over by the produce section I believe. It was a large metal container with 4 or so sections filled with different kinds of candy, on the top of the container was a thing that looked like a big metal band aid can that you would put you money in for the candy you took, you were on your honor system. take one candy put a penny in the can,two candies two cents in the can,etc. I remember I always got them white nougat candies with the small pieces of round different colors of chewy stuff inside. They looked similar to these bur were smaller and almost square.

Attachments

• 47CherryNougat.JPG
    47CherryNougat.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom