1916 can't see the mint Mercury

Mg240

I found this at an old country church in Illinois. This church had been hunted before, as this dime and two wheats on edge were the only signals left. There were obvious holes left by someone else. But that Nox sniffed out three coins they didn't dig.
1cc16451afb3cd5fd49540f09c9bece4.jpg
a9734fcfbf67f2ce847a280edc8e8459.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I’m not sure if it would affect the final value if you etched it,but without knowing for sure the final value is about 3 bucks anyway so I would etch it. That’s me. Great find either way!

I found this at an old country church in Illinois. This church had been hunted before, as this dime and two wheats on edge were the only signals left. There were obvious holes left by someone else. But that Nox sniffed out three coins they didn't dig.
1cc16451afb3cd5fd49540f09c9bece4.jpg
a9734fcfbf67f2ce847a280edc8e8459.jpg

Out of curiosity...did you SEE them on edge?

Out of curiosity...did you SEE them on edge?
One of them yes, for sure. I flipped the plug and it was sticking out almost perfectly vertical. The other 2 I assumed they were to some degree. Like I said, someone else passed those up for whatever reason, in a place with almost no signals.

I’m not sure if it would affect the final value if you etched it,but without knowing for sure the final value is about 3 bucks anyway so I would etch it. That’s me. Great find either way!
Even if it is a D, its still probably not worth much. Is that the silver acid when you say etch? I thought about doing that but don't have any.

One of them yes, for sure. I flipped the plug and it was sticking out almost perfectly vertical. The other 2 I assumed they were to some degree. Like I said, someone else passed those up for whatever reason, in a place with almost no signals.

The reason I ask is because I see ALOT of posts about that machine finding coins on edge! When you think about it,what percentage of coins are laying flat,and why? 50%? More? Less? The only way we can know is if we actually FIND THE COIN! My end feeling is...however we do it,that’s the way it’s got to be done.

Yes,there’s a silver etching acid available that will bring out the compressed design of the strike,and on some REALLY worn coins. You might be really surprised at how much it’s worth if determined to be a D mintmark. If you could see it well enough in the condition the coin is in right now it’s bare minimum 3-400 bucks. Or....I’m willing to spend 20 bucks to buy it and try it.:grin:

Awesome find no matter what it is, ‘16 of any kind is hard to find.

A detecting buddy of mine dug a 1916D merc a few years back.

He also sold a ‘16 merc that you could only see the faint top of a mint mark, couldn’t make out D or S, for $22, on dBay.

It’s definitely could tell some tails if it could talk

Shame it’s well circulated but still a cool 😎 find .

Back
Top Bottom