• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hurricane preparedness checklist...

SamFisher

Elite Member
I was thinking a this would be a great thread for those of you who are planning on sticking it out in your homes on the East Coast. Here are a few of things I can think of you may want to consider getting now, while you can, cause stuff is gonna get scarce and expensive if available at all. Feel free to add to this list. Also a list of things to do.

*I have never been through a hurricane, but have endured a typhoon*

*This is just basic survival info, use it as you will*

1. Cash
2. Water
3. Non-perishable food
4. Charcoal/propane (to cook the food that will spoil quickly)
5. Candles/matches
6. Batteries (every size you may need)
7. BABY WIPES (easy bathing tool)
8. Gas (Extra in cans if you are able to)
9. Two-stroke oil for chain saws
10. Generator/chainsaw (gets a bit $$$ but it is HOW you want to live through a disaster - helper or dependant)
11. Battery opperated radio ( maybe to stay in contact with a neighbor or a family member that lives nearby)
12. 2-way radioes (cell phones and land lines often are out of service or overloaded)
13. Plywood/ Wood Studs (window/door coverings)
14. 5-gallon bucket/portable waste disposal system/toilette paper (everyone's gotta go)
15. Games, books, candy, feel good items
16. Beer, wine, booze :lol:
17. First Aid Kit
18. Small Solar Charging Station (big enough to charge a GameBoy, Cell Phone, run a radio)
19. Pet food
20. Garbage and Ziplock bags
21. Protection - Firearms, tasers, pepper spray, canes, ect (BE AWARE of surrounding state laws if transporting firearms out of state)
22. Diapers and formula if you have small children

To do:

1. Fill sinks/bathtubs with water
2. Put water bottles in freezer
3. Turn off natural gas main
4. Charge power tools/electronic devices
5. Board up what you can
6. Make a plan and discuss it with loved ones, just in case things go very wrong.
7. Pack a bag or two in case you have to be unexpectedly evacuated (Clothes, doccuments, hygiene, ect ect)
8. MAKE COPIES OF IMPORTANT DOCCUMENTS! (birth certificates, driver's license, Passports, Insurance Papers, Credit Cards and Phone Numbers and place in a safe, water tight place)
9. Secure/hide valuables
10. Load up coolers with ice
11. Make sure your bicycle is in good working order
12. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PRESCRIPTIONS THAT YOU NEED

I am sure I am missing things, but that is why you should add to the list.

Here is a link to a great free podcast "The Survival Podcast" that has ALOT of great information: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/

Great list and link. That's a fantastic site with good info.

I emphasize to my friends/family that when packing emergency electronics, try to standardize on the battery type. AA is preferred because it's the most common cell out there. My 2-ways, flashlights, radios, and headlamps are all AA's. Also, keep lots of AA's on-hand because they could be a commodity if your community has to shelter-in-place for an extended period.

To expand on the SOLAR kit:

I've looked long and hard for a complete kit that was portable, easy to use, and complete. The Goal Zero Escape was a clear winner and features the following:

• 30w folding solar panel that’s low profile and strong. Briefcase style.
  • 150w/hr deep cycle battery power pack* that features the following outlets; 5v USB, 12v car lighter style, 120v household outlet. Charged via included AC adapter or solar panel. 5/hr full charge through solar or AC. Yep, that solar panel is hefty enough to match the AC charge time. rock on.
  • 3w hanging LED lamp that plugs into the power pack via 12v plug. That’s a continuous 50hrs on a single power pack charge equivalent to a 45w incandescent. Our base camp will be well lit.

I bought mine from Cabelas.
31BP7xd2f%2BL.jpg

escape150-explorer-kit.jpg

thats a great list and should be a standard in every household for all emergency sitsuation not just for hurricanes, along with guns and ammo

ARK ... that podcast is phenomenal! Everything from finance to permaculture.

I will tell you that our "dissaster" out here in the desert, was job loss. I started to prepare by stocking up on food a while before the ecconomy went in the tank, and it has really been comforting to know that we could go at least a month without really having to go to the grocery store.

Some may call me extreme, overly cautious, crazy, but I know that I am able to provide meals for my family for 30 days even though I am not working.

Fortunately, we have not had to use the food storage exclusively, but it really takes the stress off in having it.

Some may call me extreme, overly cautious, crazy, but I know that I am able to provide meals for my family for 30 days even though I am not working.

I call it smart. I have no sympathy for those who expect the government to come running to their aid. I'm up to 30 days in food and water for my family of 3.

I call it smart. I have no sympathy for those who expect the government to come running to their aid. I'm up to 30 days in food and water for my family of 3.

Good on ya...if we could get 50% of this country to be at least that prepared, we would really be making some headway. I know I do not want to be waiting on FEMA should anything happen here.

I checked out the Goal Zero stuff seems fairly inexpensive for what you are getting. Thanks for the heads up! :good:

Condoms are a good idea, since a hurricane isn't the best time to start a new addition to the family. They are also useful rain jackets, for things that don't like to get wet, like your matches, cellphone, flashlight...

great list , i fell asleep the first nite with my lite on and killed batteries lol , electric was out 14 hrs and water 36 hrs and cable tv , phone and internet was out 3 full days.I had to laugh though because the day after the storm I was able to go to kmart and sit in the a/c and shop and cool off,generators are sooo nice.i filled a large black plastic barrel I had put a garden hose faucet on and used it for a shower, and believe me 90 degree days and 80 degree nites w/ no fan or a/c and 100 % humidity made it a neccessity ! 12 vlt rv fan is my next purchase.one thing I might add is medications, I get a few weeks worth in advance so I know I will have them "just in case"

Thats a great list and well thought out but there is something that really hit home for me not only having been in hurricanes (growing up in MA) but also when our group went to New Orleans after Katrina, and that was one thing that could have made the ordeal somewhat more endurable.

We all think of the basics and a little extra but when Katrina hit, alot of the residents lost their "survival kits" or things were ruined, contaminated, stolen, etc; but folks there were stranded in flooded out homes, on rooftops, in crevices, floating in boats, in makeshift camps...

The thing that would have helped alot that I didnt see on the list was some kind of water filtration system. Be it a charcoal straw or tablets, many folks affected by Katrina did not have adequate clean water to drink and it has long been known that you can go for approximately 10-16 days without food but you cannot go more than a couple of days withouth water.

When we went through Andrew the biggest commodity became ice because all of the surrounding business food was going bad. I think my dad said bags of ice were like $50 to $100 dollars for the same size ice bags that cost $3 dollars now.

I don't remember water being a problem though pretty sure they brought enough of it with rescue etc. You'd just need lots of batteries to keep from going bored. Could just metal detect during the day.

Why do these threads always turn into survivalist threads? :roll:

I was thinking the same thing, although I always find the ideas interesting and somewhat useful for other reasons. I guess it's the same way that some (not so much here at FMDF -- thank you mods) can turn any topic political given a chance.

Why do these threads always turn into survivalist threads? :roll:

I don't see any "survivalism" in this thread. But even if there was some of that content, isn't surviving a hurricane a good thing? Not every one who prepares is wearing camo and hiding in a bunker. Food stores and having things to be ready for hard time is just responsible.

I was thinking the same thing, although I always find the ideas interesting and somewhat useful for other reasons. I guess it's the same way that some (not so much here at FMDF -- thank you mods) can turn any topic political given a chance.

Really? Where is this "political" material?

Originally Posted by Cfmct-PI View Post
Why do these threads always turn into survivalist threads? Until you are given the background check you are not privy to that info, now keep it down or you will not be getting that "how to make land mines in your garage pamphlet" I promised lol

I just think that is really too much of a "I can run to Wally World for anything I will ever need till the end of time" in our country these days.

We have just about lost the art of preparing for long hard winters, food storage and being self-reliant, because we are almost all so very dependant on the semi-trucks to restock the grocery stores at regular intervals.

So what that means is that:

1. Before a known dissaster such as a huricane occurs stores get emptied
2. People eat what food they have during the storm
3. 1-3 days for the storm to pass
4. Another 2-4 days for flooding to subside
5. IF the roads are drivable, maybe, the stores start restocking 5 days after the storm passes and flooding stops
6. As soon as the stores re-open, people need to restock their depleted food

There are alot of things that can easily delay any of those very conservative numbers. Sorry but I want my kids to be able to eat and drink.

Very easily:

1. Roads and bridges may be washed out for extended periods of time
2. Stores may be damged, flooded, never re-opened
3. Crops may be lost
4. Food distribution centers may be damaged or destroyed
5. Your friend, neighbor, or family member may be depending on you to help them get through a very difficult time
6. Your vehicle may not be opperational to get you and yours to the store

I don't see any "survivalism" in this thread. But even if there was some of that content, isn't surviving a hurricane a good thing? Not every one who prepares is wearing camo and hiding in a bunker. Food stores and having things to be ready for hard time is just responsible.

Really? Where is this "political" material?

Guess you are just blind to it Joe :roll:

Back
Top Bottom