• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Three Recent Different Hunts, Three Different Types Of Results.

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
bamph_zpsnub8juic.jpg~original

My home Edmonton is very unique. It has a large river, the "North Saskatchewan "running through it, and multiple creeks also feeding the river. Edmonton was a stopping place for supplies to mine up in the Yukon and Alaska during the gold rush in the 1800's. The Hudson's Bay had various forts in and around the city. So, because of the river, there was a lot of activity around here, possibly going back to the 1700's.

And, it's gets frick'n cold in the winter, going down to -40's, the same in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. So, when the creeks freeze, I like to hike them, searching the vertical banks to see if there is anything of interest. Here is a spot, where underground springs spill their water, overflowing the frozen soil, and adding layers to the frozen ice and snow. That's my wife taking some photos of the springs water frozen along parts of the creek.

bamph5_zpscbxv50ua.jpg~original

Here's a slice of time showing on the wall of this vertical cut of the creek. Old coal seams on the bottom, a mid layer of clay in the middle, with the gravel indicating an old stream bed cris-crossing the area at one time, 5 -10,000 years ago.

bamph6_zpsoqmnwdny.jpg~original

I work on an orthopedics ward in a hospital, dealing with hip/knee replacements and broken bones from falls and motor vehicle accidents. So, it comes as no surprise that bones fascinate me. While searching closely along the wall, I found a bone partially sticking out. I carefully removed it with my pick and wrapped it up in paper towel to preserve it, as it was quite easy to crunch and pulverize it.

bamph10_zpseou7m4we.jpg~original

The flat bone on the bottom is the one I pulled out of the vertical cut of the creek. There were a few spots where the frozen creek bed was exposed, where I found the other bone, and also a white piece of petrified wood.

bamph12_zpsmzf63hbx.jpg~original

Hunt #2 was on the west facing slop of a hill. It was quite steep, however, there a few trails made it possible to navigate, and there was some exposed dirt amongst the scattered snowy areas. My first target was the lid off an old canning jar, a typical find of a picnic site. I was limited to the digging, as the ground was mostly frozen.

bamph7_zpsfmalz9ba.jpg~original

No coins were found. I did however, dig up a vintage "Benson and Hedges" lighter. Funny thing.....I could still push in the button to create alight the butane, and looking inside, it was still producing an electric spark. Too cool.

bamph4_zps4oamt2wb.jpg~original

Finally, hunt #3 was today. I had some spare time, and hit a few sleigh hills, and got some much needed exercise and some cold cash!

And, as many times before, while I was putting this post together, I was drying a fresh batch of 3 lbs of elk, which my twin sons got me for Christmas. Life is good!

Attachments

• b&h3.jpg
    b&h3.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 253
Outstanding write up and pictures! When we were kids, Those frozen creeks were our playgrounds...boy, nice clear ice, a set of iceskates and zip zoom gone! In the middle of Winter, the water level would drop, and the ice would slump down, creating a banked effect like a racetrack has...It was major fun!

Outstanding write up and pictures! When we were kids, Those frozen creeks were our playgrounds...boy, nice clear ice, a set of iceskates and zip zoom gone! In the middle of Winter, the water level would drop, and the ice would slump down, creating a banked effect like a racetrack has...It was major fun!

Precisely! I too used to spend my spare time along creeks, in the woods in the winter. After a good bout of freezing rain, we used to put on our ice skates and skate literally anywhere. Our cell phones consisted of a 6" 2 x 4 with a 6" spike on top as an antenna. We used to talk to each other 12 feet from each other apart and pretend we were out of sight.

Sad today kids are given real cell phones at such an early age. They lose "pretend" play and I bet this also contributes to obesity.

Glad you, myself and everyone else on metal detecting forums still has enough "Kid" in them to go out and use a metal detector for fun and rake in "millions of dollars."! :laughing:

Attachments

• snot.jpg
    snot.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 218
Back
Top Bottom