Any Dog-Persons On Here?

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I need to clear something up. I have a female 3 year old Boxer. She hasn't been spayed yet. She's not in heat presently...that passed last month. My sister has 4 male dogs she keeps inside her house, all have been neutered. Each time I wanna consider visiting with my Boxer, she makes an excuse that even though my dog is NOT in season now, the situation will not be good, yet is OK for the new female dog.

She told me her daughter rescued a female pit bull mix which has been spayed, but Sis again made the point today that my un-spayed female(not in heat) is still different as trouble in visits, whereas the spayed they just adopted ain't. She once said it was due to the castrated males.

Does this make any sense at all? I say my sister is off base. Sounds like an excuse IMO. Thanks, Martin

I've got a 7 year old Lab, intact male. Definitely a different level attention toward females of any species, that haven't been fixed. He is real interest when they are in heat. The spayed animals just get the regular attention. He's gotten cat-slapped a few times too many, think he's over being friendly toward cats...

Think there is a scent difference. The spayed dogs don't produce the same, or as intense. Also kind of depends on how well the dogs are trained. In heat, doubt you can control that need to breed, but the rest of the time, you should have some control.

Can't bring myself to taking a male into be clipped, just seems so wrong. Would make them do anything I would do myself.

A female dog in heat can get some male neutered dogs riled up. Especially hunting dogs. One of my hunting dogs would get fired up and hump my other male Walker hound. :shock:

So nobody at all backs up her reasoning about the the male dogs there respond badly to my presently-outta-heat virgin dog, but the snipped males are easy on the new, spayed adoption female? They won't even meet the new dog until tomorrow.

How can I make any sense outta that logic. It's hard to accept my blood sister is that much of a bad liar. Maybe there is someone else who reads this to back Sis's odd logic up. I never went to an animal psychology class in college when I studied animal husbandry back in the 70's, but I cant imagine that any neutered males would react that differently toward an outta-heat virgin female than he would to a spayed female. I need a dog whisperer.

An un-cut male dog will never hurt a female whether she's fixed or not. He will fight with other males, whether they're fixed or not. And females will fight, fixed or not, just to establish dominance in the pack.

I think you sister is just being cautious, especially with 4 males to try to control if there is an episode.

Why don't you have your sister bring 1 or 2 of her dogs to your place for a test run to see if there would be any problems.

This will show that either her concerns are valid or not.

I agree that it sounds like she just may being cautious and would hate for something to happen. I wouldn't say that I would agree with her reasoning behind it. My wife and I breed dogs and we have had intact males with both spayed and intact females running around playing together. We have also had neutered males with spayed and intact females playing together. Males that are intact can have more of an attitude because of the testosterone and when they get fixed be a lot more mellow. Not sure if the same is true for females that get fixed.

Anyways, maybe you can talk to her again and see if there's a different reason why she doesn't want your dog over because I sure don't believe her reasoning. Maybe she doesn't want to hurt your feelings. I don't know but I will be praying for you that it all gets figured out.

GL & HH
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think she really believed for a long time that her fixed males would still get sexual with an intact female, no matter that she wasn't in heat. Either that, or else it was her ploy to push me into getting mine spayed. I seem to remember stories about her males mounting her other males or cats, so Sis coulda been simply that niave, and figured my Boxer would be a sex toy for four males, even totally out of heat and all. I can imagine that from her easier than she being suddenly shady.

The timing sucked if she was that niave because it blew my visitation for today. It's likely placed a wedege between us by my not understanding it all. I posed my lack of understanding about the males and her new adoption of the spayed 7mo pitbull mix, against my intact 3 year old and she replied that she wrongly assumed there was a real difference between an intact and non-intact female concerng the male dogs. Only thing I kinda felt a still bit odd about though is she finished with, "I apologize!" The exclamation point seemed inappropriate for a real apology.

BTW, there's a four hour distance between us so a practice visit isn't pratical. before making such judgement, plus her adult daughter worked at a veterenarians office. You'd also thought that she would have had a friend locally with an intact female to test with before limiting mine.

Ya know the wierd thing is that Sis was estatic about my getting my dog last year since I live all by myself. Maybe it's all been a miscommunication, I hope so. My plan is to go visit when it's slower(not a holiday) and be ready to drive right back home if I feel me and my dog are "red-headed step children". I've driven 8 hour days before.

I've learned one thing for certain,,,you get a dog and love the thing, don't mean you're distant family will be happy, i.e. "Love me, Love my dog." I'm even more unlikely to see much of my family now than before, with each of them being 4-5hours away. I'm beginning to like dogs better than people.

Thanks.

One dog mounting another (regardless of gender) is an exhibition of dominance. It doesn't necessarily mean an intent to breed.

One dog mounting another (regardless of gender) is an exhibition of dominance. It doesn't necessarily mean an intent to breed.
Very true, just ask my female chihuahua.:yes: She's taught all of her stuffed toys who's running the show around here.

Back
Top Bottom