Miracle 200th SILVER this year, plus other goodies!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Today was beautiful here in Western Montana, temps in the low 50's and sunshine! Since my last post about the 1925-S Silver Peace Dollar being my 197th shiny for the year, I have hoped to get out and find three more.

I did a short dig here in Hamilton MT on Thursday, got the OK at a 1895 home but it turned out the yard and dirt had been totally replaced and re-sodded, as I only found two wheaties in a garden / barked area of the yard.

My friend from Helena (uses Nox 800) met me in Missoula yesterday, Friday, and we got in a full day of detecting! The first yard produced the Silver GW, my 198th shiny of the year. We ended up getting permission at like 6 homes, but the silver was definitely hiding from us. At the 3rd home, my friend scored a silver War Nickel, and both of us were racking up the clad. I seemed to be finding a ton of clad quarters, which I am happy to dig! After 2 more yards without silver, we went across the street to our last permission, and finally got on the board with a good front yard! We split the yard up to detect, on my side I got a nice Sterling Silver ring with Turquoise and a 1936 Merc Dime (#199), while my friend scored 4 Silver coins from his side of the yard... a couple of Mercs, a GW quarter, and a really cool find... he said this last target sounded like a wheatie, and when he opened the plug, he found an aluminum "play dime." Upon rechecking the hole, he pulled out a silver dime! First time I've seen a play dime and silver dime in the same spill!

On the other side of the driveway, I got a good signal with my AT Pro, and out popped a "play quarter" but sad to say no real silver coin with it! We were getting a bit tired and darkness was coming on. My friend had to go home, but I hoped to return to Missoula to get #200 FTY!

Today I headed north to a permission in Missoula, and was blessed and happy to find a 1946 Silver Rosie! I call it my "miracle silver" as it turned out this front yard was loaded with metal rose flower tags and metal underground sprinkler lines, so much so that it was hard to detect the yard. And it was the first coin I found in the yard! Leaving that property, I headed nearby and got permission at a 1930's home where I found #201 a Merc Dime. Got the 1913-S Wheat Penny across the street at another permission. Called it a day and headed home very content with my finds!

First pics show my 200th Silver "on location." Remaining pics show total better finds from Friday and Saturday (today) and last pic shows my friend's finds from Friday.

Also, did some phone calls back and forth with MTtrashdigger, as he was seeking his 50th Silver. Both of us did not reach our goals on Friday, but both did today. He will be posting his story later on the Friendly Forum. Thanks for your interest and happy hunting!

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 470
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 459
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 458
  • coin4.jpg
    coin4.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 453
  • coin5.jpg
    coin5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 460
  • jason.jpg
    jason.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Today was beautiful here in Western Montana, temps in the low 50's and sunshine! Since my last post about the 1925-S Silver Peace Dollar being my 197th shiny for the year, I have hoped to get out and find three more.

I did a short dig here in Hamilton MT on Thursday, got the OK at a 1895 home but it turned out the yard and dirt had been totally replaced and re-sodded, as I only found two wheaties in a garden / barked area of the yard.

My friend from Helena (uses Nox 800) met me in Missoula yesterday, Friday, and we got in a full day of detecting! The first yard produced the Silver GW, my 198th shiny of the year. We ended up getting permission at like 6 homes, but the silver was definitely hiding from us. At the 3rd home, my friend scored a silver War Nickel, and both of us were racking up the clad. I seemed to be finding a ton of clad quarters, which I am happy to dig! After 2 more yards without silver, we went across the street to our last permission, and finally got on the board with a good front yard! We split the yard up to detect, on my side I got a nice Sterling Silver ring with Turquoise and a 1936 Merc Dime (#199), while my friend scored 4 Silver coins from his side of the yard... a couple of Mercs, a GW quarter, and a really cool find... he said this last target sounded like a wheatie, and when he opened the plug, he found an aluminum "play dime." Upon rechecking the hole, he pulled out a silver dime! First time I've seen a play dime and silver dime in the same spill!

On the other side of the driveway, I got a good signal with my AT Pro, and out popped a "play quarter" but sad to say no real silver coin with it! We were getting a bit tired and darkness was coming on. My friend had to go home, but I hoped to return to Missoula to get #200 FTY!

Today I headed north to a permission in Missoula, and was blessed and happy to find a 1946 Silver Rosie! I call it my "miracle silver" as it turned out this front yard was loaded with metal Rose (flowers) tags and metal underground sprinkler lines, so much so that it was hard to detect the yard. And it was the first coin I found in the yard! Leaving that property, I headed nearby and got permission at a 1930's home where I found #201 a Merc Dime. Got the 1913-S Wheat Penny across the street at another permission. Called it a day and headed home very content with my finds!

First pics show my 200th Silver "on location." Remaining pics show total finds from Friday and Saturday (today) and last pic shows my friends finds from Friday.

Also, did some phone calls back and forth with MTtrashdigger, as he was seeking his 50th Silver. Both of us did not reach our goals on Friday, but both did today. He will be posting his story later on the Friendly Forum. Thanks for your interest and happy hunting!

Does the silver ring have a weird stamp(Hallmark) inside? I have a ring with 3 of those stones.

Super huge congrats on the accomplishment!

Thank you! Glad to get it done today as snow and rain coming tomorrow!

Does the silver ring have a weird stamp(Hallmark) inside? I have a ring with 3 of those stones.

Thanks Metal, no hallmark on this one, just a 925 stamp.

Major congrats on tackling the big 200! Nice hunting digs and writeup, too! Also glad to hear about MTtrashdigger making goal.

Thanks Foragist, glad to make that today, and glad for my friend getting his 50th!

It took you a while along with some extra effort to reach 200 but it is a plateau very few do achieve. A Huge accomplishment. Congrats David on a well earned reward. You can now relax and take what comes without burden. Trapper

Love the write up play by play. 200 silvers is just outstanding! Great total. Funny how the 200th is just as fun as the first. I haven't been detecting long, but those silver rims on the dirt haven't gotten any less exciting. Thanks for posting the accomplishment.

It took you a while along with some extra effort to reach 200 but it is a plateau very few do achieve. A Huge accomplishment. Congrats David on a well earned reward. You can now relax and take what comes without burden. Trapper

Thanks Trapper, am honored to be in the "200 Club" with you, and yes, can relax a bit and see what the last few days of the detecting season bring!

Love the write up play by play. 200 silvers is just outstanding! Great total. Funny how the 200th is just as fun as the first. I haven't been detecting long, but those silver rims on the dirt haven't gotten any less exciting. Thanks for posting the accomplishment.

Thanks Stiffwrists! I agree, love seeing that shiny against the darker soil, never get tired of that!

Nice job breaking 200! That's a staggering amount of silver coins in a season!
What is really impressive is how easy you rack up permissions, That's a talent I wish I had!
Big Congrats! Hope the nice weather stays with you a while longer.

Nice job breaking 200! That's a staggering amount of silver coins in a season!
What is really impressive is how easy you rack up permissions, That's a talent I wish I had!
Big Congrats! Hope the nice weather stays with you a while longer.

Thank you Ron! And yep, hope I can get out a few more times this coming week!

Nice hunting and post . Congrats on the 200 milestone .

Thank you Soil Surgeon!

Nice job!! 200+ silvers is quite an accomplishment and a testimony to your skill with your machine AND with people. Thanks for taking us along with you on your hunts!

Ya did it ! A major ATTABOY and congrats to you sir. And you have shown that the AT Pro is still a very capable machine, coupled with some good locations make for fine hunting. Hopefully the weather will permit you to add to coffers before the year is through. Good luck Mark

Nice job!! 200+ silvers is quite an accomplishment and a testimony to your skill with your machine AND with people. Thanks for taking us along with you on your hunts!

Thanks Todd, happy that we BOTH hit our goals on Saturday!

Really super post: accomplishment, effort, story, photos. You aced all of 'em.

Thanks Richie, appreciate your kind words!

Congratulations on the 200th Silver. Awesome accomplishment. Thank you for the pics!

Thank you Beachhunter, appreciate that!

Ya did it ! A major ATTABOY and congrats to you sir. And you have shown that the AT Pro is still a very capable machine, coupled with some good locations make for fine hunting. Hopefully the weather will permit you to add to coffers before the year is through. Good luck Mark

Thanks Mark, appreciate your comments! Yes, the AT Pro does great for where I live, though I must confess the reports on that new Notka Simplex have me interested.... might need that machine for when I head to Western WA where many of the older coins are deeper than my AT Pro can detect them.

Wow 200 that is an amazing year! Congrats! That shows a lot of skill and dedication.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

200 silvers in a year, what a massive hunting year you had. Congrats.

I plan to secure a Nox 800 in January, excited to be upgrading from the Fisher F2 starter unit I got a few years back.

Wow 200 that is an amazing year! Congrats! That shows a lot of skill and dedication.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank you Ben! You have sure made some good finds this year too!

200 silvers in a year, what a massive hunting year you had. Congrats.

I plan to secure a Nox 800 in January, excited to be upgrading from the Fisher F2 starter unit I got a few years back.

Thank you Splix! I think you will like the Nox, all my detecting buddies but one use that machine and do well!

Back
Top Bottom