Unheard of scoop company

metaladdict

Elite Member
Borderline Engineering. That's the company I came across. I think I owned one of their travel scoops. It was great ,My sister gave it to me from a garage sale.
It was all steel 5 inch with screen basket. Worked great in dry sand and wet.
They make one in SS. I might buy it.
Just tossing the info out there for people like me who don't have a lot of cash.:cool3:

I posted that recently. Been around forever , but not widely known. Have owned many of them. SS is the best. Many here in So.Cal use them. They don't last forever the way I dig in the wet. Welds eventually give out on the mesh baskets , causing bucket collapse. For dry sand hunting - they can't be beat. Though scoop size is a little small for me.

Funny Virginia Beach Max came up with the scoop carrier many years ago.., they copied it.

Attachments

• OBN-0006.jpg
    OBN-0006.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 487
Borderline Engineering. That's the company I came across. I think I owned one of their travel scoops. It was great ,My sister gave it to me from a garage sale.
Just tossing the info out there for people like me who don't have a lot of cash.:cool3:

They work great if...
1.) you keep them out of the water
2.) you have a small coil
3.) you don't use your foot to push the basket

IMO, they are only good in dry, sugar sand. And because of their small size, you spend too much time scooping. But hey, if you get one at garage sale prices, I won't judge. I've bought a few like that myself, but I also have a welder. :lol:

Funny Virginia Beach Max came up with the scoop carrier many years ago.., they copied it.

Those hook type of carriers have been around in the construction trades for 25 years that I can think of. That's all they are , for carrying tools.

Those hook type of carriers have been around in the construction trades for 25 years that I can think of. That's all they are , for carrying tools.

Max been around for a while..... he helped moses bring back the tablets and patented the wheel. :laughing:

Max been around for a while..... he helped moses bring back the tablets and patented the wheel. :laughing:

And helped part the sea.....
I'm so old...my first detector was 2 bent sticks in each hand...

They work great if...
1.) you keep them out of the water
2.) you have a small coil
3.) you don't use your foot to push the basket

IMO, they are only good in dry, sugar sand. And because of their small size, you spend too much time scooping. But hey, if you get one at garage sale prices, I won't judge. I've bought a few like that myself, but I also have a welder. :lol:
David , he makes them reinforced with a brace and the bottom has a solid ring. For digging in wet hard sand. He can customize them however you want as well. But still , within about a year I destroy them. I don't girly foot around with my scoops. All about time and volume when I happen upon a loaded up area. I don't try reading the dates off of dimes for 3 minutes when its outta the hole !

Yes..I've seen similar but his are just like Max's. A friend of mine in 2010 asked me about marketing those hooks, and he would have had to get a thousand made to get them done. I told him don't do it, not enough hunters would buy them......So instead him and Carter made the swing thing..

Yes..I've seen similar but his are just like Max's. A friend of mine in 2010 asked me about marketing those hooks, and he would have had to get a thousand made to get them done. I told him don't do it, not enough hunters would buy them......So instead him and Carter made the swing thing..

And now I know the rest of the story... I read that in "Paul Harvey's radio voice", lol :laughing:

Hardware store closed last year here. They had about 50 of them , blowing them out for $5 each. I didn't even buy one ....

Highly recommended. When you click on "products ", I have the second one down. Except that I drilled more holes in the duckbill, to lighten it up. And then I added a pistol grip and an arm cuff to make a one-hand operation

5 inch opening is too small for me. The bigger the better for me. I need to get my stuff in 3 scoops or less and less in water.
The scoops in the website look nice for somebody going on a trip once a year. I do not see any reinforcement but I can say I never used their products. Seen that style of scoops and even the heavy duty styles of this scoop that I'd suggest to buy.

Bottom line is that I do not think it would survive me and the beach 2 trips of 5 hours each.

GLHH

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

You want a scoop? Grab one from one of these makers:

Scoop manufacturers

http://www.stealthscoop.com/index.html

http://stavrscoop.com/en/8-sand-scoop

http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/

http://www.rtgstore.com/

https://www.thegolddigger.com/t-rex-sand-scoops/

https://xtremescoops.com/

Those scoop you posted would work in the dry.. almost worthless for hunting in the wet... I would destroy those in a hunt or two... buy the right scoop the first time.

Those scoop you posted would work in the dry.. almost worthless for hunting in the wet......

Are you saying that the borderlineengineering Co. scoops would not work in the wet ? How do you figure ? I've got one of their stainless steel scoops and use it all the time in the wet. Even rocky and hard-packed beaches. They take a pounding. And ya simply can't bend those stainless steel rods. And the duck-bill lip get bashed onto rocks all the time, but never gets even a tiny dent or bend. So I'm not sure what you are referring to.

Are you saying that the borderlineengineering Co. scoops would not work in the wet ? How do you figure ? I've got one of their stainless steel scoops and use it all the time in the wet. Even rocky and hard-packed beaches. They take a pounding. And ya simply can't bend those stainless steel rods. And the duck-bill lip get bashed onto rocks all the time, but never gets even a tiny dent or bend. So I'm not sure what you are referring to.

They will not stand up to my beaches... I have used plenty of scoops out there a wire basket will not stand up to the punishment of where I hunt..

Don't you have a permission thread to post on? :laughing:

Tom's video , you will notice he is about speed , time , volume. Great hunter. But he also has a thin build , flexible. He has his style of digging down because of experience. But not all beach guys can move like that , pivoting that scoop around. Gotta have toned forearms. Notice his targets aren't that deep in the hardpack.
I recommend the borderline scoops for some people , but not all. Mainly because of the low cost and how often they may hunt. Used them for years until the BETTER BIGGER hexagonal scoops came out. Again, over time , under heavy use , MINE had issues with the welds on the wire basket. I'm not a welder. You also better be a pro at pinpointing , because of the small size. And with the Nox, that ain't happening for me.

Are you saying that the borderlineengineering Co. scoops would not work in the wet ? How do you figure ?
They will not stand up to my beaches...
Ditto to Cfmct ... those wire baskets bend and snap welds faster than you can say "Dang -it, I knew I should have bought a better one".

That pitiful reinforcement bar is a joke. Stick that scoop in some wet sand with suction, ratchet back the handle and watch it bend. It might even pop all the basket welds if the front lip is stuck on a heavy or mostly buried object. Heck, I bent (3) RTG scoops and they use legit gauge materials and proper welds. But my older stealth and home made....not a single issue.

Buy quality the first time unless you hunt in my area. Then I want you to buy one of these cheap scoops so it'll break on you and not risk snagging one of my good targets. :lol:

They will not stand up to my beaches... I have used plenty of scoops out there a wire basket will not stand up to the punishment of where I hunt....

I know the "wire baskets" you are envisioning. I too have worn-those-out in a single season. But have you used THIS particular manufacturer's items ? Here's the one I have :

https://www.borderlineengineering.com/product-page/40-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-beach-sand-scoop

But, of course, I modify it. I play with the angle of the basket. To have the correct swipe angle I want. Then I remove that black foam and add a pistol grip and arm cuff.

And it has lasted a decade. With tons of usage. So perhaps the "wire" that you're speaking of, is some other inferior product ?

.... Don't you have a permission thread to post on? :laughing:

Nah, I've now added "sand scoops" to my list of "bees in my bonnet", doh ! :laughing:

Attachments

• 2012-10-25_16.25.54.jpg
    2012-10-25_16.25.54.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 299
  • 2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 281
Back
Top Bottom