honey hole revisted

Maybe...

There not mantis but similar . I live in Asia. The steel and iron were not little flakes. I'm pretty sure they were dumped on the main swimming spots.

Sea Lice....that's what we call them here on the Tx coast

Nice finds :yes: I would've thought the silica packs would be a decent help but I see you say its separate. Was about to even suggest using an "absorbent pad" :blush2: in the control box to wick up the moisture :shifty:

Keep us informed.

They will need to be changed every once in a while. There are silica packs that will change color once enough moisture is absorbed. Just leave 1 in each upper corner. I'll try to get my hands on some but might take a couple weeks

Notice the TDI water photo. This was from wetsand hunting only. All 4 corners had large amounts of moisture build up.
Still trying to get used to the 12" coil. Hairpins or even coins laying on edge can be a problem if the coil hits it just right. Sounds in the middle but its laying 3" down on the side of the hole. :( But she sure is deep.

Whites should have studied up on what an air conditioning mechanic sprays inside a copper tube to keep moisture out. Would have saved themselves a lot of trouble.
Hi Stive,
put a few bags of silica gel inside ... (to absorb moisture)

So I am going to assume that the moisture people are experiencing is due to running the 4s packs? I have had my new machine out about three hunts so far and have not experienced moisture build up. I must say it is a deep machine and I am digging way more junk than I do with my excal. I get airtest with a 3s li ion battery on a 10k 4.5g mens gold ring at about 15 in.
Also, I saw when these machines first came out there was a hole for a switch near the coil wires that was plugged with a rubber washer and a screw, my machine and other newer ones I have sewn do not have that but instead the mold is still there but is closed in the manufacture process. Which machine do you have with grommet or without?

So I am going to assume that the moisture people are experiencing is due to running the 4s packs? I have had my new machine out about three hunts so far and have not experienced moisture build up. I must say it is a deep machine and I am digging way more junk than I do with my excal. I get airtest with a 3s li ion battery on a 10k 4.5g mens gold ring at about 15 in.
Also, I saw when these machines first came out there was a hole for a switch near the coil wires that was plugged with a rubber washer and a screw, my machine and other newer ones I have sewn do not have that but instead the mold is still there but is closed in the manufacture process. Which machine do you have with grommet or without?

Its completely sealed. I also think it's the extra voltage causing the heat

I was hoping that's not the case, a few more inches of depth would make me even more impressed with this machine. I wonder what is heating up on the board, I know the reason that powering this with a higher voltage battery gives more depth, is that the power goes strait to the mosfet and into the coil. Could be the fet or possibly the stage where the voltage is regulated. Curious to hear from others who have done the same mod if they are experiencing the same. I saw a youtuber who had the same issue and was using the upgraded battery.

I was hoping that's not the case, a few more inches of depth would make me even more impressed with this machine. I wonder what is heating up on the board, I know the reason that powering this with a higher voltage battery gives more depth, is that the power goes strait to the mosfet and into the coil. Could be the fet or possibly the stage where the voltage is regulated. Curious to hear from others who have done the same mod if they are experiencing the same. I saw a youtuber who had the same issue and was using the upgraded battery.

I'll probably put the batteries in at a little under 16v total from now on.. maybe even 15.5v. Also I'll keep an eye on the silica packs and will get my hands on the colour changing ones shortly

Silica packs you gotta change periodically. Of the 4 people I know including myself , all have had problems using a high voltage battery pack. 2 have fried their's , mine included. Be careful doing your own mods. I think my batteries/charger may have been bad. When I got to the beach I had slid my pack in , left in the car. It was about 90* outside. Went to the bathroom and had a burger at the local beach stand. Gone about 35 minutes. Get back to car to hunt and all I can smell is burnt electrical. I thought something was wrong with my car. Grab detector , notice like a grease coming out of it. I knew right away...this was not good. Popped the case apart and battery holder was melted , fried wires and a few burnt components within. No way whites was going to do anything with this. $1000 up in smoke. I don't feel confident in doing any more modifications to ANY detector for a few extra inches or whatever. For me , it's not worth it.

KOB so sorry to hear about your detector. Sounds like there was a possible short in the cells. Was it a pack that you made or purchased? Right on about the mods, a 15 in. Airtest is not all that modest anyway. Thats what I would consider much deeper than an excal. I tested in the same area at the same time, excal hit 10 in. On the same ring.

Really, you need to replace silica packs at a set interval according to the manufacture?
It's Whites, that's not a flaw, it's a feature :lol::lol::lol:

Silica packs you gotta change periodically. Of the 4 people I know including myself , all have had problems using a high voltage battery pack. 2 have fried their's , mine included. Be careful doing your own mods. I think my batteries/charger may have been bad. When I got to the beach I had slid my pack in , left in the car. It was about 90* outside. Went to the bathroom and had a burger at the local beach stand. Gone about 35 minutes. Get back to car to hunt and all I can smell is burnt electrical. I thought something was wrong with my car. Grab detector , notice like a grease coming out of it. I knew right away...this was not good. Popped the case apart and battery holder was melted , fried wires and a few burnt components within. No way whites was going to do anything with this. $1000 up in smoke. I don't feel confident in doing any more modifications to ANY detector for a few extra inches or whatever. For me , it's not worth it.

Yeah sounds like something went wrong with your battery. I take each 1 out after and charge to about 4.1v.. from now on I'll max out at 4v or less. I take it the battery exploded or cracked open without the detector even being on? I might just use the Pro or SL with the higher voltage for wetsand from now on

Silica packs I changed out on my own accord. Batteries I did myself. Unit was in the off position. I have a feeling it was pushing 17 volts or a little over. I do think being the car for 30 minutes at maybe 120 degrees or so could have contributed as well , idk. But another guy had a aftermarket high voltage pack that was supposed to be ok : it wasn't.

I think it's kinda like a cellphone. Some cellphones if you put an aftermarket cover on them will get really hot in your hand ( remember samsung note 7 fiasco? ). Bad batteries. Some phones have cooling fans but mainly air vents in them now. It's just a gamble you have to be willing to take. It was working great and others haven't had any problems. Again , if it happens to you , you may think twice.

Well I will be sticking with the recommended voltage, thanks for the heads up. No sense in ruining a good warranty. Plus its a deep machine and with the hardwired coil is supposedly by a slight margin, better than a standard sl.

I have one last question as I have considered using a 3s li ion 18650 pack for longer runtime. Was the pack you made with protected cells? Did you add a balance board to the pack or did you balance charge from an rc charger? What brand batteries did you use? Any pics of the damge that was caused? Sorry if this rehashes the incident bit others can learn from it.

Back
Top Bottom