Unheard of scoop company

Ditto to Cfmct ... those wire baskets bend and snap welds faster than you can say "Dang -it, I knew I should have bought a better one".

That pitiful reinforcement bar is a joke. Stick that scoop in some wet sand with suction, ratchet back the handle and watch it bend. It might even pop all the basket welds if the front lip is stuck on a heavy or mostly buried object. Heck, I bent (3) RTG scoops and they use legit gauge materials and proper welds. But my older stealth and home made....not a single issue.

Buy quality the first time unless you hunt in my area. Then I want you to buy one of these cheap scoops so it'll break on you and not risk snagging one of my good targets. :lol:

David, then I ditto my question to you : Are you referring to THIS particular maker's products ? Or .... just in general, "wire baskets" ? And just in general looking at the pix and thinking "that's prone to bend" ?

Because I too have had baskets that bent back backwards, because the cross-bar was wimpy. And yes, at first glance at these pix, it might seem like they're a "bend waiting to happen".

So I pose the question to you too : Have you used this maker's product (in particular , his "heavy duty" option) ? Or are you just basing your notions on the pictures seen on his site ?

I know the "wire baskets" ... But have you used THIS particular manufacturer's items ?

Yup. Last one came with the receipt and everything.

Hunt 1 - Bent the basket gusset and ripped the weld (*fixed that night)
Hunt 2 - The basket material caved in
Hunt 3 - (used a Stealth because it was in the shop)
Hunt 4 - bent the handle, took it back to the car and used my reinforced RTG
Hunt 5 - (in the shop so again, used the stealth)

In the end, I used a different gauge pipe stock for the handle, added four braces to support the basket, added a round support to the basket back, added four braces to support the cage, and added a kickplate.

No more issues after those mods. But the scoop weighed more than (2) Stealth 720 scoops with wooden handles. It was nuts.

.... Notice his targets aren't that deep in the hardpack.....

In my video, I only dug a few targets. But I routinely dig deep ones too, with my scoop. And yes it takes several scoops to get-down-to-depth (when you are relying on arm-power downstroke to strike-the-sand). And yes: For deep targets on the wet, it's hard-to-beat a foot-step style scoop. It's conceivable, for those who are accustomed to foot-push-types, for them to make one that's reversable to allow both. Ie.: flip it around and have a pedal-spot to be able to push it with your foot.

... Again, over time , under heavy use , MINE had issues with the welds on the wire basket....

Look at his "products" tab. Perhaps you didn't avail yourself of his "heavy duty" option ? Perhaps you went with another metal option other than stainless steel ?

I too "had issues" with welds in the wire basket with non-stainless scoops in the past.

I have only used borderlineengineering "heavy duty" option. Dunno whether the step-down-from-that is going to have weaknesses you are referring to. Have you specifically tried his heavy-duty option ?

Look at his "products" tab. Perhaps you didn't avail yourself of his "heavy duty" option ?

Tom, here is the scoop from the website. Red lines shows where I added new reinforcements.

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 105

In the end, I used a different gauge pipe stock for the handle, added four braces to support the basket, added a round support to the basket back, added four braces to support the cage, and added a kickplate.

No more issues after those mods. But the scoop weighed more than (2) Stealth 720 scoops with wooden handles. It was nuts.

Ok, but not just ANY of the sand scoops on that maker's options. I specifically mean his "heavy duty" option :

https://www.borderlineengineering.com/product-page/40-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-beach-sand-scoop

Because I agree that his lesser/lower/cheaper-cost options may in fact not be sturdy. But I am only talking about the singular "heavy-duty" offering. Have you tried THAT one ?

If you have, and if it's failed-as-you-say, then I am schocked. I got mine over 10 yrs. ago, and ....... you could run it over with a truck and it won't bend. So if a) you're talking about the "heavy-duty" option, and b) it's all that you say, then : Something's happened with the product in 10 yrs.

I hope the maker is reading this and can jump in with a comment.

Tom, here is the scoop from the website. Red lines shows where I added new reinforcements.

Then if this is true, then either :

a) You must be Godzilla with power, strength and environment, to have-to-have needed those reinforcements.

or

b) something has happened in the product line since I bought mine 7 or 8 yrs. ago.

I'll pop the guy an email, and link him to this thread.

Tom , I haven't bought 1 in probably 8,9 years. No , I haven't tried the heavy duty version , but have had the SS. For me - size matters. He can build a bigger one but then weight becomes the issue. So why bother when there is better ? For others , it can be great. Just not for me anymore.
David - anybody can break any scoop if you want to. Gotta use common sense. What are you really digging in anyway ? That's alot of scoops in a short period. From your car racing videos , looks like you hit the gym. Also looks like you might hit the "juice" while in the gym as well. Ok....so you hit the gym , get pumped , get in your car ( at 200mph) race to your beach , hunt , find a penny.....and then finally roid rage out on your scoop. That's not fair on your scoop ! Scoops can only take so much....

David.. Only respond once to Tom... its not worth replying a second time... don't believe me? Just go look at permission threads he gets involved with... :lol: I don't even read that section anymore... :laughing:

I stand by my words that those scoops are no good... I don't care who makes them the baskets are too small.. I like my Sunspot and my Stavr scoops. :D

.... but then weight becomes the issue........

I think we can all agree that when ANY scoop, of ANY brand, seeks to increase sturdy-ness, then naturally, it will always be adding to the weight. This is not only true of the brand-in-question: It's true of any scoop designed to take more heavy-duty punishment.

Ie.: I have held up the other super-sturdy options available on the market (eg.: Sunspot and my Stavr), and they're not exactly light-weight either.

I sent the manufacturer an email, and linked him to this thread. We'll see if he chimes in.

. Ok....so you hit the gym , get pumped , get in your car ( at 200mph) race to your beach , hunt , find a penny.....and then finally roid rage out on your scoop. That's not fair on your scoop ! Scoops can only take so much....

:laughing::lol:

Believe it or not, I'm really gentle with my equipment. Professionally, I worked as a tool & die engineer and now teach occupational safety and ergonomics. Using an appropriate technique is vital to prevent injuries as well as avoid equipment damage. But yeah, some equipment just isn't engineered as well as others. :cool:

Last edited:
David.. Only respond once to Tom... its not worth replying a second time... don't believe me? Just go look at permission threads he gets involved with... :lol: I don't even read that section anymore... :laughing:

I stand by my words that those scoops are no good... I don't care who makes them the baskets are too small.. I like my Sunspot and my Stavr scoops. :D
bwhahaha, so I see :shock: :lol:

I'll pop the guy an email, and link him to this thread.
I frequently buy and sell equipment. This scoop was acquired in a large package deal. The seller was from Ormond Beach, FL and also named Dave. Shortly after he bought it, the rear gusset weld broke. He claimed that when he called the mfg, they said they would fix it for a small fee and so long as he paid for shipping. Shipping was like $40 just for UPS to ship from FL to CA, so instead of repairing it, he found a used scoop on the cheap.

As mentioned, my past life was in tool & die design. I worked with a fab facility to assess the scoop and we both believe this scoop's design and materials would not withstand the rigors applied in common practices. Nonetheless we repaired the weld using industry standard practices, tested it with bated breath and then realized we would in fact have to make modifications in order for it to withstand reasonable forces. After the mods and testing were complete, I sold it to a fella in Tybee Island, GA.

Back
Top Bottom