Water hunting, is it worth it?

ChunkyMonkey

Elite Member
Hello all,
I have started metal detecting a almost a year now I have 2 machines and found over $350 in change 8 rings, 3 watches and assorted silver and gold earrings oh and cash money laying on the sand, and a slew of other valuables. I have been saving up all my profits to buy a Whites Dual Field PI and I am about to sell my gold and watches to reinvest my finds into this water machine. I feel I do very very well in the dry sand, is it better in the water? I feel I dominate my beach here as I frequently pull up valuables and have a great system. Should I just stick to the dry sand? I read the posts of things people find in the water and it seems to be the same in dry. Is there just more in the water. Is it only jewelry found in the water or do you pull up coins as well. I bring home over $10 in change alone every time I go out to the dry sand. Should I convert to water? Thanks all!

Waters nice when the temps are up... I have a DF, I meander from wet sand to in the drink to cool off. Targets are where ya find them... less targets for me in the surf, but still many are trash. But I would be interested in hearing of your system for the fluff. I love my DF but you will dig iron, I don't have much where I hunt, and after a while you ear will learn the subtle tone difference.

But I would be interested in hearing of your system for the fluff.

Well for starters I go where I have found gold before. I basically hit the 3 same spots over and over. So I start my morning by parking near my first location and walking to my last location not detecting though. Just eyeballing the sand and picking up stuff recently dropped form the night before being cash, bracelets, cell phones etc. I make sure I stop by the beach in the day when real busy to see where to people are laying as well. At 4:30 - about 6am I like to spot detect before that machine comes and smooths out the sand and I look for the ass marks and where pockets would be located it works a lot. Then I hit up high near the street being there is a strip there and the night crowd like to hang up high on the beach as well as the drunks. Then when I am done I grid the towel line from about 2 feet below high tide to about 10 - 12 feet above high tide getting all that good stuff. Then after the crowds start to show up I usually puzzle piece it meaning I look where the newcomers are and I detect in the line people are sitting in weaving in and out. I really do clean out my beach so I have to go to other beaches too but this works like a charm for me.

It's worth it as far as getting away from the HEAT. :coolinoff: All it takes is for one killer ring to pay off your investment in a detector if you look at it that way. I have been out quite a few times with my Fisher and no gold as of yet. Working the surf and the water is much more difficult than the nice & fluffy dry sand.

Chunky,
Sounds a little like Texas? I'm in the midst of looking at detectors for water to.
I've researched Tesoro Sand/Tiger sharks and looked hard at Whites PI and the Beach Hunter 300. From what I can see the 300 will work in salt/fresh water and wet sand if you can believe the hype. I've been doing ok with an MXT but it goes a little crazy in wet sand and I'm afraid to get to close to wet water with it so, I'm pointing in the 300 direction. I'd like to hear some feedback from any of the folks that are using them.
JP

You are doing quite well where you are. Investing in a PI may not be the way you want to go, especially if there is a lot of trash in the water. You will dig every fish hook, bobby pin, pull tab, etc that your coil comes across......is this what you want to do? I am assuming you are on the east coast of FL, there is a lot of good stuff lost in the waters but your time frame for hunting the low tide is not very long so you would want a machine that would discriminate out ferous materials. Continue to save your finds and invest in a discriminating machine for water hunting.

If you want to find the deepest gold and goodies then a PI is the way to go... a VLF can't touch the depth you will get with a PI... you must learn the subtle differences in the tone to master it though and have lots of patience... I have a VLF the GT but I only use it in areas that are iron infested otherise I go with the PI and the DF is a awesome detector... its light, easy to pinpoint with and of course very deep and you can outhunt a VLF user once you master it...

Back
Top Bottom