Garrett ACE 250 or Bounty Hunter IV?

dimefinder

That's my quandry, Garrett ACE 250 or a Bounty Hunter IV? $200 vs. $100.

I can pick up the Bounty Hunter at Wal-Mart here. The Garrett will require a trip up to San Jose to a fascinating detector store (Oh! twist my arm!) and 2X the money but I've been hearing it's better, and is made in USA?

Any input anyone? I can afford either one.

I don't have any experience with the Bounty Hunter , but do with the Ace 250 and its a really great machine and easy to use . Also made by a good sound company with good service . I hear alot of people like the Bounty Hunters so I guess its what you like the best . Might do you well to make the trip to the shop anyway and look and get the feel of both of them and talk to the pro at the shop about the differences and how they would fit into the way you plan to hunt with them . Besides would give you a excuse to go to detecting store anyway.

HH Harold

The Ace 250 is the more popular on this forum anyway. I started out with the Tracker IV and can't say enough good things about it. You can check out my finds from the first year at:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=12926

The Tracker is well built, easy to use, and has great battery life, and is about 1/2 the cost of the Ace 250.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. Guess it depends on how much the extra $100 matters to you.

Good luck!

I pretty much just cut and paste this response now since this question comes up so much!

as much as the ace is loved by most people
the trip would be worth it in the long run
but like they say
the machine is only as good as the person operating it
I love my Pioneer 505 and have learned to use it to its max potential
with all the extras ..10 magnum coil..head phones ect all theese extras
can soon run up the bill

youre best bet would be the 250

thats my 2 cents worth
:-)

check the forums here you can probably nab a ACE250 for about $150.00 or less shipped.

Ace250's are great machines. I don't think ill ever sell mine even with my two other white's machines. I would take it over a bounty hunter any day. SUPER Simple to use and good easy pinpointing.

Check out the F2... I suspect you would like that machine better.... Its a bit cheaper and every bit as good as the Ace 250... it might actually beat it as I suspect the recovery rate is faster and it has VDI ... for $199 you can't beat it... plus it has 5 year warranty!

OK the shop in San Jose or thereabouts is worth going to I think, and also a local archery shop has a new one they'll sell at a good price.

As usual, online is more expensive than just going around in person - I learned this being an online retailer myself, and consistantly, your local dealer is cheaper than online. So, no online deals for me! But I can deal locally, pay cash (would prefer to pay in silver!) and make out the best. The San Jose place may have a slightly used one, that they've checked out and know is OK, but frankly there's some stuff I prefer to buy new if I know I'm going to use it a lot and for a long time.

That store in San Jose or thereabouts will have the F2 and the ACE and chances are the Tesoro equivalent too. I think the ACE is the best bet for me.

I gotta get the money up first, though! Gotta get this batch of earrings done and see if I can peddle 'em. And the dang side cover on my motorcycle, the little post that fits into a grommet on the back broke off, so I'm riding around without it, gotta get some J-B Weld and fix that, expenses, expenses.

I'm fairly certain I can have that detector in a week or so though.

Back
Top Bottom