Dangers while detecting..

chabot510

I live in a fairly rural area, i.e., there are a fair amount of wild animals. The black bear population has been steadily increasing as has the bobcat. I am planning on exploring some wooded areas where older houses used to stand. I am kind of nervous about walking through the woods without being able to hear things around me. Do any of you carry any 'protection' with you. Can you just keep one ear of the headphones on?

Thanks!

Keeping one ear uncovered is a good idea. There is a high-end line of headphones which makes a one-eared model. I think they're called rattlers - or something like that. I forget the brand - someone will remember.

yeah detector pro makes the rattlers i beleive i like mine for hunting alone in the woods.
the bob cats arnt gonna mess with you they know there not big enough to take down something 100% bigger than they are...black bears tend to be the most reclusive bears of all and will flee from a human or anything it sees as a threat{unless they are completely use to humans like in some state parks}..now ya get in between the black bear and food or a momma and cubs thats a different story. i carry a pistol gripped shotgun for wild pigs and i believe in most states you can even do that without a permit as long as the barrel is over a certain length {18" in this state} its still considered a long gun even tho it looks like a big pistol. first round in mine is a deer slug and if that doesnt find the target its backed up by a load of 00 buck shot.

This seems to be the danger to me this time of year.

WE got chased off a great hunting spot, my dad and fatherinlaw both were bitten more than ten times each last week. I got my first bite yesterday. :mad:

yj.jpg

Chabot510,

A partner that you can for sure outrun.....................................

I wear top of the line Nikes when I detect. I never enter the woods here in Florida without Walther. Oh and by the way, I will swap you a couple alligators for each bobcat.....Three for one on black bears...We got plenty where I water hunt.....Gil

I live in a fairly rural area, i.e., there are a fair amount of wild animals. The black bear population has been steadily increasing as has the bobcat. I am planning on exploring some wooded areas where older houses used to stand. I am kind of nervous about walking through the woods without being able to hear things around me. Do any of you carry any 'protection' with you. Can you just keep one ear of the headphones on?

Thanks!

The bears and bobcats won't bother you. If you are concerned about them make some noise once in a while to let them know you are there.

It's the 2 legged predators I'd worry about long before the four legged.

bootmud

I live in Idaho in a bear and cougar area. When I am in the boonies my choice of headphones are a lightweight open design. My choice of pistol is a Smith & Wesson 629. I probably will never need to use it, but we have had bears and cougars in the valley this summer. As a matter of fact I get to work quite early so my first duty was to ck the bear trap that Fish and game had set out. Guess it depends where you live. If you think about a weapon make sure you are proficient in it's opperation. Thats my 2 zinks worth.:)
Bruce

Sheesh, I don't really hafta worry about wild animals. Occasionally I see a fox running around at night, but they are more scared of me than I of them. I'm more worried about the human type of attacker... :no:

Be it four or two legged, your respnsibility is to be constantly aware and capable of self-defense at all times. Take the appropriate training, carry the approriate defense.... RickO

Just received a spray can of Freeze+P in the mail today - a mixture of tear gas and capsaicin (pepper). Should help with both the 2-legged and 4-legged.

dangers...........

The animals are the last thing I would be afraid of. I am usually by myself or with my Blue Heeler dog. I carry a pistol when I am out in the woods detecting but it is mostly for bad people. The pistol I carry is an over/under derringer in .38 special. The first shot is snake shot and the second in solid lead. I have never had to pull it from the holster (except to dispatch a cotton mouth in my trail) but I feel more safe just knowing it's there. I started carrying a pistol when I was detecting in a pasture next to a Texas prison farm. Many times I could see the prisoners in their white jumpsuits working along the fence line. If they decided they wanted to take a drive in my truck, at least they would have a tougher time taking me down. I also have a concealed weapon license so it is pretty much legal for me to haul handguns around.

Anyway, I use the type of head phones that fit in the ear, not over. That way I can hear what is going on around me. As far as animals go, they will run from you before you ever see them, as a rule. Bobcats are very hard to find even if you want to see them.

In short, be concerned about the human animals out there, nature will not come after you.......oh wait, I forgot the Africanized bees!!

Later,
Chris

Had a few encounters with the bears before. Almost stepped on one on my way to pick blueberries. He was sleeping on the other side of a deadfall. I stepped over it and almost on him. He went one way and I the other. No, problem. It is always good to be aware. bears don't have such godd eye sight. but top notch hearing and smelling. Make plenty of noise on your walk in and out. They will more than likely skidaddle. Bobcat, you probably won't even see them. and consider yourself lucky if you do. they are quite beautiful. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom