• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

what share terms do you use with property owner?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I am wondering what terms do you offer your property owners where you seek getting permissions?

what works best for you?

Nothing. I had one lady I have known for many years tell me that we would split 50/50. I told her to go buy a metal detector. pay a thousand dollars for it, learn to properly use it and then she could go find everything and would not have to split with me.

I don't have a lot of experience getting permissions. The door knocks that have been successful, I've told the owner they can have anything I find. I find enjoyment in the hunt. I haven't had to hand anything over yet. They have just been interested in seeing what I found. If I was asked to leave everything I dug, I'd take a few pictures and consider it a success.

I am wondering what terms do you offer your property owners where you seek getting permissions?

what works best for you?

Unless I see a "detectorists welcome" sign in the front yard or maybe a "please help yourself to my stuff" note on the gate I assume right away that this person I'm about to talk to needs me about as much as a submarine needs a screen door.

If after introductions he's still there and nothing is chewing on my leg "or worse" I briefly explain my interest in history and should I find anything of monetary value?

1. We split 50/50
2. The owner has first option to keep anything of family heirloom nature.
3. Owner is welcome to see anything and everything I find
4. There will be no damage to property
5. I provide my contact information and address
6. I show the utmost respect for the property owner

#6 is the most important by far, I have never been turned down and I've always been invited back.

Might not be your cup of tea but it works for me.

Last edited:
I never mention the word ‘dig’.
I never mention the word ‘split’.
I collect ‘old pennies and buttons.’
I keep my speech short, under 30 seconds.

So far all my permissions have been friends or family. The subject of a split has never come up, but I always show my finds and if anything is a heirloom or family related, they get to keep it.

One friend did ask for a 1920 penny I found, and I happily gave it to him, and I found a medallion that we believe belonged to his Aunt, and I insisted that he keep that.

You have to be careful with what you say. As soon as you mention something its now on the table and fair game for them to expect , and they might just say they want all of it , most of it , or anything of value......if you dont mention it then they may not either. Let THEM bring up any terms they might have or what they expect of the finds. They might agree to it and never mention any terms for the finds at all as long as you dont bring it up first.

Nothing. I had one lady I have known for many years tell me that we would split 50/50. I told her to go buy a metal detector. pay a thousand dollars for it, learn to properly use it and then she could go find everything and would not have to split with me.

if you spoke to me that way I'd tell you to buy your own 115 acres and you could keep anything you found!

I’ve personally offered homeowners cash to detect their property. The value of the finds really don’t mean much to me.

I’ve personally offered homeowners cash to detect their property. The value of the finds really don’t mean much to me.

This might not be a bad idea when you consider a couple of things: it’s better than a lottery scratch off because even if you don’t find valuable things you have had hours of enjoyment, it’s hard to turn down cash especially if you start at like $20. Now that might seem high but I know guys who drop $50 to chase a white ball for 3-4 hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might not be a bad idea when you consider a couple of things: it’s better than a lottery scratch off because even if you don’t find valuable things you have had hours of enjoyment, it’s hard to turn down cash especially if you start at like $20. Now that might seem high but I know guys who drop $50 to chase a white ball for 3-4 hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How true! Sometimes I stop at garage sales if the place looks to have history. My starting offer, $5...I know of other detectorists that do this.

I’m more of a pirate I guess, I don’t offer anything lol. I have had them ask for stuff like wheaties.... which I did give.... and I have also gave a couple homeowners Buffalo nickels that I found in their yard..... one guy told me I detect his yard, but he wanted half of what I found, and he got to pick first, I politely told him no thanks and left.....

I tell them I'll return any personally identifiable items, I've yet to ever find one.

I also ask if they've ever lost a piece of jewelry, keys, etc and if I find it, I give it to them.

I also have been known to keep some dug wheaties and an IHP in my pouch that "I found" - because I did, just not in their yard- that I can give them if need be.

I also have been known to keep some dug wheaties and an IHP in my pouch that "I found" - because I did, just not in their yard- that I can give them if need be.
I always carry a few 1964 “silver” nickels to give away. :lol: Nine of of ten people don’t know the difference.

My thoughts- The landowner has the right to dictate terms. The individual requesting permission has the right to accept terms or move on.

If you do make a deal with the land owner, I feel you should keep it.

There are members of this forum who are proud of the fact that they make a deal, but then deceive the landowner by withholding finds. They have even posted about it.

If you do make a deal with the land owner, I feel you should keep it.

Agree, a deal is a deal. Sad to say that's not the norm today. I'm very careful of what I say and offer. I don't do this for the $ (thank God or I'd be bankrupt) but I like the finds. On the other hand they all get throw in boxes or drawers and will be sold for 10¢ on the dollar when I'm gone so I give just about anything the owner want to them.

Back
Top Bottom