Rings in the Scoop!

imalookin2

"In Memory Of"
Forum Supporter
First gold of 2014 was the first target today. When I saw it I thought it was plated junk. After looking at it with a lope I still thought it was plated junk. It looked like the plating was coming off. What I was seeing was a hard crust. Look at the photos. You can clearly see what looks like missing gold plate but it is just where the crust is still adhered. It is a F4 ring. (EDIT: Fredrick Goldman FG) I thought it said 14K F for filled but it is not.

I acid tested the outside spot where there appeared to be missing plate and scratched hard into the stone. The spot shined up like new. The acid did nothing after leaving it on for 15 minutes. The ring is 5.7 grams. Yippie, I get beer! :yes:

You can see in the photo where I stopped cleaning with the wire wheel. It has a wedding date inside of 1978. Looking at the stubborn crust, it must have been lost a long time ago.

I might try electrolysis on this ring. What do you guys think? Or should I just use continue with a wire wheel? I will add a new photo after I finish cleaning it so Craig won't say it is brass. :p

You can see in one photo where I stopped cleaning so you can see the contrast from gold to crust. Nice old milgrain band. The other ring is laser etched TR. It feels and looks like Tungsten Carbide at 11 grams. Sucks. :no:

On the board for January gold. Good luck to everyone! The second page has new photos with the ring cleaned after tumbling.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 882
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 885
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 881
Last edited:
FG = Frederick Goldman

FG = Frederick Goldman ring. I have found 4. Very nice Ima.

First gold of 2014 was the first target todaWhen I saw it I thought it was plated junk. After looking at it with a lope I still thought it was plated junk. It looked like the plating was coming off. What I was seeing was a hard crust. Look at the photos. You can clearly see what looks like missing gold plate but it is just where the crust is still adhered. It is a F4 ring. I thought it said 14K F for filled but it is not.

I acid tested the outside spot where there appeared to be missing plate and scratched hard into the stone. The spot shined up like new. The acid did nothing after leaving it on for 15 minutes. The ring is 5.7 grams. Yippie, I get beer! :yes:

You can see in the photo where I stopped cleaning with the wire wheel. It has a wedding date inside of 1978. Looking at the stubborn crust, it must have been lost a long time ago.

I might try electrolysis on this ring. What do you guys think? Or should I just use continue with a wire wheel? I will add a new photo after I finish cleaning it so Craig won't say it is brass. :p

You can see in one photo where I stopped cleaning so you can see the contrast from gold to crust. Nice old milgrain band. The other ring is laser etched TR. It feels and looks like Tungsten Carbide at 11 grams. Sucks. :no:

On the board for January gold. Good luck to everyone!

You sure that isn't plated brass??????
:laughing:

Good job Greg!

Cliff

Good job Greg!

Cliff

Its the holiday season... but I agree it sure looks plated to me :laughing:

You better hold off on the beer intil you take it to a jeweler :lol:

Never seen a fake FG posted anywhere. I found the ladies version of that same ring last year if you remember? Maybe we can sell them as a wedding set on ebay?:lol: It was probably sitting on some corrosive krap.

Its the holiday season... but I agree it sure looks plated to me :laughing:

You better hold off on the beer intil you take it to a jeweler :lol:

I already know it is gold. I don't need a jeweler. My acid works fine. I am going to tumble it with some jewelers media tonight. I will post another photo later so there won't be any question. Now, go shovel a driveway. :lol:

I wouldnt tumble the gold or use a wire wheel on it , you will lose some of the gold ! I am no expert on cleaning gold but I would probably put it in muratic acid for a short while which should remove anything that is not gold but the acid will not eat the gold away.....just dont accidentally get any chlorine in there with it. And of course , should you decide to use acid be sure to do it in a well ventilated area , preferably outside , and wear gloves and eye protection of some sort. Someone else may have a better idea for cleaning than acid , its just the only thing I am aware of that will do the job and not harm the gold. Any type of abrasive will definately remove some of the gold as well.

Good job Greg!

Cliff
How is the arm man? Hope you get it right soon. Might be over there again in a couple of months looking for ........ A ....... Job. :laughing: I will be eating into your gold totals. :laughing: I will leave you some. :lol:

Still a nice hunt,anytime u get a 2 ringer day is awesome in my books;)
Thanks sweetie but I have to disagree. On my way home from the gulf I hunted my "secret" beach. I scored 3 rings! One aluminum with stamps inside, looked like gold, one stainless from a shop class and one Titanium. 3 ring day and all junk. :D Some days you find and some days you look.

Looks like 18k plated over 14k...

you just never know....I fine catch...:thumbsup:

I wouldnt tumble the gold or use a wire wheel on it , you will lose some of the gold ! I am no expert on cleaning gold but I would probably put it in muratic acid for a short while which should remove anything that is not gold but the acid will not eat the gold away.....just dont accidentally get any chlorine in there with it. And of course , should you decide to use acid be sure to do it in a well ventilated area , preferably outside , and wear gloves and eye protection of some sort. Someone else may have a better idea for cleaning than acid , its just the only thing I am aware of that will do the job and not harm the gold. Any type of abrasive will definately remove some of the gold as well.

I guess I should add though , just to be on the safe side , if there is any chance at all that it could be gold plating over another type of metal , acid would eat away the "other" metal leaving only the gold plating. If you are sure its not gold plated then there is no problem since gold is not affected by the acid but just be sure its solid and not plated.

ahhhhh, that's plated junk,,,,,:laughing:JK,,,,,them FG bands are the real deal, never seen an ebay plated junk one,,never seen one that beaten up either,,,,I have gotten tarnished 10k gold that was old but never seen crusted old gold or old 14k gold,,,,,great work,,,GL HH

Back
Top Bottom