Headphones....whats good, bad, and do I need waterproof?

David, I have been watching this thread to learn from others. After all the posts I have to wonder why you just did not buy an Excal. IMO the Explorer is great to cherry pick wet sand and the SE Pro is even better rated. In the water you don't cherry pick. You dig. High, mid and low tones, scratchy tones and weak tones. The display means nothing and boxed you can't see the display so why bother? I know you can run programs to block stuff. That is a mistake on the beach IMO

On Atlantic beaches you really do not water hunt. Water hunting is chest or neck deep all day with a weight belt. You get out deep where other hunters can't go. The water is calmer on the Gulf. You can't do that often where we live. So, the game here on the Atlantic is wet sand, not water. Hunting knee deep is not water hunting. Of course there are a few places to hunt that are not beaches. Very few indeed. Remember the alligators.

If you need waterproof phones then buy them and change the plug. GG sells them but I did not like the dull sound compared to my Pro Golds. I would not use the Golds in the water. They are going to get wet sooner or later and you will ruin great phones. Maybe used waterproof phones??,,,,then change the plug to 1/4" to suit your watertight case with a 90 degree plug. Even used Excal phones would be OK. They are not that bad if you have young ears. You can swim with them without fear. One of the few good things about their phones.

David, I ... have to wonder why you just did not buy an Excal.....

We should meet a do a few field tests. I run the Exp in a deep, all-metal mode with no or little, iron disc. Seems to do pretty good, heck it found that little earing wire at 6-9" deep.

The biggest factor was every used excal that I could find (less than $600) had a cracked case, leaked, etc. After selling the PI and CZ, I found a "like-new" XS. During the holidays, my out-of-state family got rained out of a hunt, so I used the remaining money from the PI to buy Max's waterproofed Exp-II. I'm sure if I found an Excal in usable condition and for a good price, I'd sell one of the machines.

Regardless, I plan on buying an Excal or CTX to celebrate my upcoming graduation. Until then, the swip-swapping enables me to have (2) machines to take one of my boys out MD'g and in any weather. :D

We should meet a do a few field tests. I run the Exp in a deep, all-metal mode with no or little, iron disc. Seems to do pretty good, heck it found that little earing wire at 6-9" deep.

:D
Makes sense to have a dual purpose machine. The guys do the same with the GT. My Excal has the small coil and can dig dimes at well over 12" easy. We did a simple test with Cliff using a 14K mens band. It was a narrow band about 1/8" wide and he put it 11" down on a string. My little coil heard it but it was weak. In PP mode it was strong. I would have found that ring. A 10K ring of equal size would be easier to find. The silver content plays into this. When you see chains found they are almost always 10K or the links are large. You can't compare silver earrings to any gold. Silver is easier to find due to conductivity. 18K gold is harder since it is not as good a conductor. I would love to do some tests. Let me know when you are going.

Back
Top Bottom