bottles and other items... in an unusual place

007tallguy

Elite Member
i was searching for some bottle information this morning and came across this interesting site:

http://privydigging.com/

some good stories here about searching for bottles, coins and other things in and around a specific... ahem... outbuilding that most old homesteads would have had. ;) you just never where you'll find treasure!

Pete

I love this but I wouldn't even know where to start in asking permission to dig up an outhouse.

I love this but I wouldn't even know where to start in asking permission to dig up an outhouse.

haha. i guess the first thing to ask is: "is it still in use?" :blush: :laughing:

i think the idea of searching them is more for old abandoned homesteads and such. there are very few of them left around here anymore, i can probably drive for close to an hour along the main drag here and count the ones i can see from the road on one hand. to go inland (back country) there's like more, but there's also better possibilities for old farms and homesteads.

Travel Channel had an episode featuring privy digging on the show Cash and Treasure. Those guys do just like MDers, they research, ask permission, and dig.
On the show, some of the excavations were in town, and of course many of the likely sites were now paved over so they get disappointed just like us :lol:

Those guys pulled a lot of interesting stuff out of the holes. I can see how it would become addicting.

to privy dig, you look at old maps, such as Sanborne. Find out where the privy was in relation to the house and go door knocking.

Bring a tarp, a bunch of boxes/milk crates and if you have any, 55gallon drums... cut sod carefully, lay in order on tarp. Probe to check depth. Commence to digging.

Put bottles in boxes/milk crates, dirt goes into 55g drums or on the tarp. if you hit a dead spot, probe again and keep digging.

Most privy will have wood shoring or brick/rock shoring for the "hole". When done, refill and tamp down fully, replace sod correctly, use garden hose or bottles of water to hit the seams, make sure owners are happy with your landscape job, shake hands and go home happy.

I started digging the farm that father-in-law grew up in. It's been in his family since the mid 1800's. outside of some obvious dumps.... old wells filled with bottles, trash pits all over, a 300yd ravine 15yd wide of nothing but bottles and such 2-3' deep....there were 4 privy sites. One that's there now from the 30's-50's and the rest were the old ones. Luckily, I don't have to be neat when I do this. It's all in the woods so I can just pile it up and fill it in when I'm done.

My 11yr old is my digging partner. We ripped the 2 holer down and cleared it. The walls were shored with logs...That's a good sign. We dug one hole and used the other hole as a set of stairs so we'd have a way back up. Haven't found much of decent stuff yet. Marbles, china pieces, some toys, ton of beer bottles....was a bit disappointed til we hit the bottom of the logs. Thought we were as deep as we were going to get.....My daughter asked if we could go another hr. We dug and bam..hit another shored wall and more black ashy sand...had to stop, but at least we know there's stuff down there...

here are a few pics of the ravine we started on: front, middle, end and a closeup of the small area we are only started at.

Attachments

• 21257FA7A0C14AB2B9F9FFAA65E4431F.jpg
    21257FA7A0C14AB2B9F9FFAA65E4431F.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 591
  • AD8E7A471E42460181668E9DDBB4BC79.jpg
    AD8E7A471E42460181668E9DDBB4BC79.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 596
  • C8A9E842A2A5409D840F7966802F0353.jpg
    C8A9E842A2A5409D840F7966802F0353.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 601
  • ravinemiddle.jpg
    ravinemiddle.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 587
to privy dig, you look at old maps, such as Sanborne. Find out where the privy was in relation to the house and go door knocking.

Bring a tarp, a bunch of boxes/milk crates and if you have any, 55gallon drums... cut sod carefully, lay in order on tarp. Probe to check depth. Commence to digging.

Put bottles in boxes/milk crates, dirt goes into 55g drums or on the tarp. if you hit a dead spot, probe again and keep digging.

Most privy will have wood shoring or brick/rock shoring for the "hole". When done, refill and tamp down fully, replace sod correctly, use garden hose or bottles of water to hit the seams, make sure owners are happy with your landscape job, shake hands and go home happy.

I started digging the farm that father-in-law grew up in. It's been in his family since the mid 1800's. outside of some obvious dumps.... old wells filled with bottles, trash pits all over, a 300yd ravine 15yd wide of nothing but bottles and such 2-3' deep....there were 4 privy sites. One that's there now from the 30's-50's and the rest were the old ones. Luckily, I don't have to be neat when I do this. It's all in the woods so I can just pile it up and fill it in when I'm done.

My 11yr old is my digging partner. We ripped the 2 holer down and cleared it. The walls were shored with logs...That's a good sign. We dug one hole and used the other hole as a set of stairs so we'd have a way back up. Haven't found much of decent stuff yet. Marbles, china pieces, some toys, ton of beer bottles....was a bit disappointed til we hit the bottom of the logs. Thought we were as deep as we were going to get.....My daughter asked if we could go another hr. We dug and bam..hit another shored wall and more black ashy sand...had to stop, but at least we know there's stuff down there...

here are a few pics of the ravine we started on: front, middle, end and a closeup of the small area we are only started at.

yikes! i really hope after all that work, you find a few coins or or at the very least, some valuable bottles!
the old one in my back yard has a cement foundation. it may be possible there's stuff under that cement, but that would involve smashing it all up after tearing down the structure and i'd rather not do that. it also had a clean-out, but i have no idea where the contents were dumped and no way of finding out.

Oh yeah, we've found a ton of good things. Only a few ACL's from the 40's and a few old milk bottles embossed and in excellent shape from a couple of dairies long defunct.

Plus there's the fun of taking your kid along on a hobby (she's my detecting partner as well)

there's a small dump about 50yds from the house and it's 30yd long by 10yd wide. Daughter and I spent an entire weekend, digging all day til it was dark and only completed one half of it. We ended up being 5' down before we were hitting normal dirt w/o sign of stuff in it. We pulled out some tootsie toys, 30-40 ACL Sodas in sellable shape, more milks in sellable shape and some old steel beer and soda cans.

I know that some sites are hard to get at....especially cemented in....

I've seen pics of guys going under a house through the crawl space and dig on their bellies until they were deep enough to stand. Some diggers are pretty hardcore

this is just a few bags of bottles we've found there, the rest are put away in boxes. Most likely going to sell them this winter/early spring to fund a new detector:

Attachments

• bottles.JPG
    bottles.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 546
IM shooter, great pictures and locating these old areas is half of the fun, sounds like you have a great spot!

To get an idea of some hardcore privy digging, just go to youtube and search "privy digging".

This is interesting reading. After seeing this thread i was looking into privy digging and it said that alot of old 1800's privys they dig are covered with a large rectangle shaped 10" concrete slab. I live on property that dates back to the early 1840s having churches and houses and last month i uncovered a large rectangle shaped concrete slab in my back yard just under my grass. The slab is really old and pieces are erroding off the top. Have you guys ever dug one's like this? I wonder if I should get some concrete anchors into it with some rope and pull the slab up with the truck?

Have you guys ever dug one's like this? I wonder if I should get some concrete anchors into it with some rope and pull the slab up with the truck?

i've never dug any, lol.
maybe before going through the trouble of trying to move that slab, have you done detecting around it? try doing a 10-15 radius around that slab and see if anything shows up. if it looks hopeful, try digging down along one side of it and see if it's worth pursuing. ya never know....
actually, if you go along the side until you reach the bottom of that cement, there'll likely be a gap underneath of it from the ground under it settling over the years. if that gives you enough access under it you might not have to take it up at all.
mines' a bit more complicated.... it's like a foundation that the building sits on (around all 4 sides) and then the hole part is concrete recessed into the ground, at least 3 feet deeper than the foundations' cement level. i also have a hunch that there's another location from an older o/h somewhere near this one.... they had to "go" somewhere when this one was being built, lol.

Normally it's not too hard to find a privy site. Look at sanborne maps, or the owners might know. Get your probe out and insert into the ground, you hear a ping or hit something that feels like a bottle, you're good to go...

the one we're digging now was a 2-holer! that's hardcore advanced for the '30's.. and besides the shoring we're hitting the typical stuff...soil, sand, ash and repeat.

Was kind of funny...mother in law asked why we were digging the "new" outhouse. I told her it's the only one I know of. She then told me about the one at the corner of the woodshed (all hand cut timber walls). I checked it out and sure enough, you could see an area at the corner of it where the wood was a bit newer looking vs the rest that had dried with age... That's the one from late 1800's to whenver the "new" one was dug.

Then she asks if i hit up the house that was there while the one that's there now is. I just look dumbstruck. she points to the other side of the driveway (large, dirt circle driveway) at the small line of trees...she tells me that it was there on blocks over the small creek...sure enough, we started finding stuff there too...

.then they tell me the barn used to be in the grass area inside of the circle drive....and then there's the original farm.

Daughter and I were exploring and we came across a shallow long trench that looked like a streambed and it was next to quite a few rows that look to be worked at one time or another. She says, "oh yah, I think that's the original farm. And the wooden buildings on top of the hill are the cellar and a small shed".

They know I MD, they know I dig. They never thought to tell me about these places.......of course they tell me toward end of summer so I can't go nuts with a shovel and MD. Still going to be fun hitting the old foundation and stuff.

Normally it's not too hard to find a privy site. Look at sanborne maps, or the owners might know. Get your probe out and insert into the ground, you hear a ping or hit something that feels like a bottle, you're good to go...

the one we're digging now was a 2-holer! that's hardcore advanced for the '30's.. and besides the shoring we're hitting the typical stuff...soil, sand, ash and repeat.

Was kind of funny...mother in law asked why we were digging the "new" outhouse. I told her it's the only one I know of. She then told me about the one at the corner of the woodshed (all hand cut timber walls). I checked it out and sure enough, you could see an area at the corner of it where the wood was a bit newer looking vs the rest that had dried with age... That's the one from late 1800's to whenver the "new" one was dug.

Then she asks if i hit up the house that was there while the one that's there now is. I just look dumbstruck. she points to the other side of the driveway (large, dirt circle driveway) at the small line of trees...she tells me that it was there on blocks over the small creek...sure enough, we started finding stuff there too...

.then they tell me the barn used to be in the grass area inside of the circle drive....and then there's the original farm.

Daughter and I were exploring and we came across a shallow long trench that looked like a streambed and it was next to quite a few rows that look to be worked at one time or another. She says, "oh yah, I think that's the original farm. And the wooden buildings on top of the hill are the cellar and a small shed".

They know I MD, they know I dig. They never thought to tell me about these places.......of course they tell me toward end of summer so I can't go nuts with a shovel and MD. Still going to be fun hitting the old foundation and stuff.

gee, you've got all sorts of great places to try. and LOTS of digging ahead of you! :digginahole:
for the heck of it, i was out a little while and tried probing around the o/h with a 4 foot aluminium rod. (Ouch! i need some sort of handle on that thing, lol)
every place i tried, i could get no more than 1 to 1 1/2 feet into the ground and then it would hit very solid stuff. i guess i'll have to poke around s'more when i get the chance. :D

A great book on this subject.. The great American Outhouse.

I got one in my yard here im thinking bout diggin up. It wasnt brick lined like the ones in the city were.

I saw this done on cable TV. The people did it in California I think. It was at a grocery store or something. They let them dig thru the parking lot if I remember correctly. I couldnt believe they let them do that

yeah. it's alot like md'ing...you never know until you ask. Some people think you're crazy for digging into a hole where people poop, not realizing that many people went into them drunk, dropped stuff from pockets and their bottles. Many people used their privy for a dump. Add up all that accidental dumping (no pun intended) and loss of marbles, watches, keys and stuff from the 1800's on...that's alot of goodness in there.

I love looking at pics like the ones 1/2 way down on this page:

http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/dig-of-a-lifetime-and-we-are-not-done!!!!!/m-368314/tm.htm

that amount of bottles, and the age and rarity of some of them would pay my house off and buy a new vehicle and pay much of both kids' tuition....

Back
Top Bottom