Wheat Pennies? So What?

tjr35

Elite Member
Am I the only one who doesn't see anything special about a wheat penny? I realize there are key dates and such, but really to me they are really just another copper penny.

To me, they are more of an idea what else may be lurking under the ground from the same time frame. :) I don't get all that excited over them either. When I do see them, I do get excited knowing some silver may be close by.

G2M

I grew up with wheat pennies, so I like to find them. I've got several thousand stored in jars that may end up going to my kids after I'm gone. Other than one 1914 D, never made a killing off of them........

Dusty

In general I don't dig any pennies.I look at my VdI number and if I think its a penny after the fourth one ,I don't dig them out.I know that some people have found gold rings that had the same VDI as a penny but I also hate to dig just for a penny.I never found a nice looking wheat in the ground,they all look like something else.My girls love finding pennies.When there around we dig every penny.:lol:

I like them because they are different and you don't see them around too much. Also, it is a good indication that you are at an older site and looking in the right areas.

They could also be a copper large cent or a copper civil war token.

I love to recover any coin older then I am. They are a connection to a better time. I find the design of most pre clad coins to be more artistic and interesting and the wheat ear penny is no exception. I have found a few in quite good condition and some in pretty bad condition but I like finding them either way. I am not concerned with what they are or are not worth. To the clerk at the local supermarket that 1914 D is worth 1 cent.

Hunt Happy!
Plug Martian

I love to recover any coin older then I am. They are a connection to a better time. I find the design of most pre clad coins to be more artistic and interesting and the wheat ear penny is no exception. I have found a few in quite good condition and some in pretty bad condition but I like finding them either way. I am not concerned with what they are or are not worth. To the clerk at the local supermarket that 1914 D is worth 1 cent.

Hunt Happy!
Plug Martian

You nailed it!!!

Dusty

My 1797 liberty cap half cent came up as a penny signal. I always dig penny signals, I don't want to run the risk of missing something good. I guess its the same theory as digging pulltab signals in search of gold. Also, like everyone else said, the wheat ear penny represents silver is lurking in the area too :)

To dig or not to dig that is the question!!!!

On my detector a newer penny reads a 30 to 32 and a wheatie will read like a dime 38. I think its because it has more copper in it.

I dig all penny signals because of the other stuff that also falls in that VDI range. For me (around here in NE with my MXT Pro), zinc's come up around 67 and coppers come up around 75-80.

could be passing

In general I don't dig any pennies.I look at my VdI number and if I think its a penny after the fourth one ,I don't dig them out.I know that some people have found gold rings that had the same VDI as a penny but I also hate to dig just for a penny.I never found a nice looking wheat in the ground,they all look like something else.My girls love finding pennies.When there around we dig every penny.:lol:

You could[ be passing on some good targets by not digging. Some Ih's ring up as 65 and some relics ring up as a 65 -79. Copper pennies also are worth more than there face value. Not much, but some day they might be worth saving. A penny earned is a penniy saved.Just a thought.

I remember my first wheat penny.. july 24 1975.. it was my birthday.. and I got my first metal detector at age 8... I dont mind being the odd one out here.. I simply LOVE digging them.. I'll take em all day long....;)

I enjoy finding them for a couple reasons. They are older coins and sure beats digging zincolns. It shows you are digging in an older area. Other coins could be there. Some people just dont care for them. I will dig every penny signal even if it is 2". Just adds to the clad count. And when I find a wheat penny to me it feels as though the day was not a total loss...To each his own I guess...Oh and GO FLYERS!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom