Gold #7 (Frederick Goldman)

Joshc214

After getting tricked by that brass snake ring last week I had to go out and redeem myself this weekend... Winds were 12-16kts, not really ideal conditions for a water hunt, but I figured what the heck, why not, Nox can handle it :)

After getting to the beach I started questioning why I woke up so early, waves were breaking everywhere... to make things more difficult we've been having a lot of sargassum seaweed washing up this past month making it that much more difficult to hunt the water. Basically picture a blanket of decaying seaweed so thick you can't walk through it. I decided to hike up the beach some and try to find a clear patch of water that had an outside sandbar blocking some of the surf, after about a good half mile I found a spot where a lot of rich people managed to get out and swim around with all their expensive jewelry on, the waves were still fairly big but I decided to give it a shot.

There's nothing more frustrating than finding a target, then a few seconds later being picked up by a wave, pushed 10 feet away just to have to go back and try to find the target again. This happened quite a few times, but I still managed to pull each target. After 3 hours I'd found a penny, a quarter and a dozen bottle caps and pull tabs. It was around this time when I started questioning again why I even bothered waking up, the sand was really soft under my feet which made it near impossible for a gold ring to not get buried. At around the 4 hour mark I was wondering around aimlessly on soft sand hoping for a signal of any kind when I got a solid hit. I figured it'd be another pull tab, however, after getting smacked in the face for the thousandth time by another wave I looked in my scoop to see a gold ring :)

Luck was definitely on my side yesterday.. the odds of finding anything gold in conditions like that were slim to none. I'm guessing one of the people next to me had just lost it or a wave tossed it up shallow enough for me to get a signal.

This makes 7 gold finds with Nox so far since I got back into detecting on April 15th this year. The ring is marked 14k FG... I also noticed a faint date and persons name on the inside of the ring.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 429
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 420
Congrats on a very nice gold band! Sweet find, and well-earned, too. :thumbsup:

:dingding: I was out yesterday for sunrise and had wondered if you'd been out.
I was going to do a wet sand hunt but the seaweed was bad. Opted for dry sand considering the thousands of beach goers that were there for the past few days for the "Air & Sea Show". I found a junker there. Then as I see patches of wet sand opening up I try that. At the 2 hour mark, I get signal at the edge of the shoreline and got what I thought was a honker gold only to determine later that it was plated. :roll: I then went in the water with conditions still a bit rough but the tide was down and the offshore sandbar was blocking the majority of the surf and I hit the sandbar as well. Targets were almost nil. I saw 3 other guys with their Excals - 2 were working the dry sand and one the wet which I talked to (Joseph). I was the only fool I believe to go in the water. Good to see you were brave (foolish ;) ) and made out with a nice ticket!

:dingding: I was out yesterday for sunrise and had wondered if you'd been out.
I was going to do a wet sand hunt but the seaweed was bad. Opted for dry sand considering the thousands of beach goers that were there for the past few days for the "Air & Sea Show". I found a junker there. Then as I see patches of wet sand opening up I try that. At the 2 hour mark, I get signal at the edge of the shoreline and got what I thought was a honker gold only to determine later that it was plated. :roll: I then went in the water with conditions still a bit rough but the tide was down and the offshore sandbar was blocking the majority of the surf and I hit the sandbar as well. Targets were almost nil. I saw 3 other guys with their Excals - 2 were working the dry sand and one the wet which I talked to (Joseph). I was the only fool I believe to go in the water. Good to see you were brave (foolish ;) ) and made out with a nice ticket!

Too bad the honker wasn't real... It was definitely rough conditions this past weekend, but I think that's the trick, full low tide with outside sandbars make it doable. I remembered from the past how many gold finds I pulled during similar conditions... even in soft sand heavy items can be shallow because of the currents/waves. The brave (foolish) are almost always rewarded :)

I absolutely love those plain band Name Brand pedigree 14k 4grammers! They are like finding a $100 bill! Thats melt of course, in trade to a willing customer a guy can get $200 here in the States....

Nice find there Josh and thanks for the post about the soft sand and big surf seaweed hunting deplorable conditions....Good onya for sticking it out..:bowdown::goodjob:.

Back
Top Bottom