First Time Hunting

SGTRAD13

Have always been a Civil War buff and enjoyed hearing people's stories of metal detecting. A few friends and I have decided to try it out. We live about 90 minutes west of Vicksburg.

I know we can't hunt the battlefield and other marked areas but what is the best approach to finding areas to look? I've noticed business, school and houses in the area around the battlefield.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

One of the most important starting points are good maps. Go to the Library of Congress web sit and see what civil war era maps they have of your location. Also try the TVA site for more modern topo maps which, also, are important to have on hand. Your local historical society may have maps you can get copies of. Also check with your state historical society for maps. Your state universities may also have some helpful maps. And one of the most important sites to check is your local library. Not only for maps but for local history of that particular period. Good luck, you should be able to find some great artillery shells.

Look at routes of troop movements. Unless I'm mistaken, there was a siege of Vicksburg. Many troops sat around that area and probably dropped a LOT of stuff!

You're in a good area! HH

as one said... don't be afraid to knock on doors. the worst they can do, is say no. also, don't be discouraged. very easy to get discouraged early on. good luck.

Thanks for the info; this will help! Has anyone hunted around Vicksburg before?

Yup. It was a siege city. Do your research dig all the signals especially big iron, a lot of artillery there. Good luck. Any questions pm me I will give you my cell number.

Back
Top Bottom