Swage bullet

VA-REB

Forum Supporter
I do some volunteer work at a local archaeology dig. Here is some of what came into the lab today. It has been too hot to do any digging lately so I thought some of you might like to see this.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 702
  • FullSizeRender-2 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2 2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 779
  • FullSizeRender-1 4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1 4.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 656
The six spokes inside from the factory machining give it the "swage" name... This is a nice one because there is also a star in the center! Very sweet!

I did not find it listed in bullet book and I have only seen people from ga report three, I could be wrong though. Anyone else dig a swage and star base??????? image.jpg here's a better pic reb sent me earlier.

The six spokes inside from the factory machining give it the "swage" name... This is a nice one because there is also a star in the center! Very sweet!

I did not find it listed in bullet book and I have only seen people from ga report three, I could be wrong though. Anyone else dig a swage and star base??????? View attachment 327519 here's a better pic reb sent me earlier.

Hey, Joe, I just noticed that star after we talked. Pretty neat.

Attachments

• star bullet.jpg
    star bullet.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 936
You may already know this , but the ring on the top of the bullet in your pic. is from the ramrod driving the bullet down the barrel.

And a very cool find!

They Used to Be an Ordinary Bullet...Sort Of

Back in the 80's, I used to dig a fair amount of swaged bullets and *'s around the Petersburg area of Virginia. They were simply a pressed and turned (swaged) bullet of northern mfg.

Hard to believe but in the good old days, they were not looked at as something rare, well, just another type of minie ball. We seriously dug a fair number of them.

Heck, now days, a handful of any type cw bullet is a good day.

And jdjax is right, the ring on the top of that minie is a ramrod mark from driving the bullet home.

Thanks for showing!

You may already know this , but the ring on the top of the bullet in your pic. is from the ramrod driving the bullet down the barrel.

And a very cool find!

Yes, that is why I posted that one.

I am not certain, but I don't think they were using the swage method to make bullets in the time period of your bullets. Swaging bullets requires very high pressure.

Here are some pics of star bullets and you can see were the mold parts, which means the bullets in my pic. were poured not swaged.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=327521&stc=1&d=1441238711

Absouloutly they made and image.jpgused swage bullets in the civil war the northern war machine had the factories and they are outlined in the McKee and Mason book. Not only did they have swage in 6 spoke but also other patterns...the question is we know the " star swage " exists but has anyone other than GA boys found any? Attached is one of 50-75 I recovered in a Yankee camp... Confirmed yankee camp...

image.jpg
Absouloutly they made and View attachment 327541used swage bullets in the civil war the northern war machine had the factories and they are outlined in the McKee and Mason book. Not only did they have swage in 6 spoke but also other patterns...the question is we know the " star swage " exists but has anyone other than GA boys found any? Attached is one of 50-75 I recovered in a Yankee camp... Confirmed yankee camp...

And just in case for the doubters...here are the manufacturing patterns( not inclusive"

And not to be a trouble maker but all bullets don't have white patents when they are dug out of the ground some I find in swampy areas and water are as grey as the day they were dropped. I did put wrong page on this... But yall get the just of it .

But the question still stands... Has anyone dug a swage with a star? They aRE unlisted, but a lot of strange variants turned up after M&M wrote the book and suppliment. This is a neat story to follow!
A relic guy has one for sale for 60 in Ga and claimed to only have had three others and they all were dug in Ga this my question.

I have only dug swage in Fresricksburg/stafford myself.

Absouloutly they made and View attachment 327541used swage bullets in the civil war the northern war machine had the factories and they are outlined in the McKee and Mason book. Not only did they have swage in 6 spoke but also other patterns...the question is we know the " star swage " exists but has anyone other than GA boys found any? Attached is one of 50-75 I recovered in a Yankee camp... Confirmed yankee camp...

During the civil war this place was a Union camp. We do find Confederate bullets here, so this could very well be a Confederate bullet.

During the civil war this place was a Union camp. We do find Confederate bullets here, so this could very well be a Confederate bullet.

Bullets were much more interchangeably used then we sometime give credit for. I find Union stuff in confederste camps and vice versa so no tellin, that's why context is so jaded when it comes to figuring it out. Never understood finding a script I in a Yankee camp that had NO southern presence...we uncover strange things don't we?

See you soon reb!

Back
Top Bottom